Neurontin and Menopause

• July 11, 2006 at 7:32 pm

Hello to the Ladies!

I am in the beginning stages of menopause and have infrequent hot flashes. I read this article on the Internet:

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_35796.html[/url]

and thought it quite interesting. I have been off Neurontin for awhile but with the onset of hot flashes (which absolutely suck!) Iā€™m thinking about getting back on to see if it relieves some of the sweating. I would like some GBS expert opinions.

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 8:10 pm

I’m not a expert but I was taken off of hormones and started taking tomoxifin the same day. That has been 2 and a half years ago. I was taking Neurontin the whole time. It has only been in the last 6 months that I didn’t sweat all the time. It was so bad I waould shower 3x a day and change the sheets daily. Now I just feel like I have a temp of 101-102 all the time. It really is better.

I know hot flashes are differant for every women, just like GBS. I’ll sweat thank you.:D

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 12:55 am

Hi Nancy, i use to have the hot flashes and sweats really bad. i’m in surgical menopause, i use to use estrasorb creme everyday. that did great until i got my paralysis events and could not do the creme on the legs thing everyday. i take neurontin now and i might have a very slight hot flash once in awhile. i still haven’t found anything to change my @#^*& attitude!!;) keep trying different things, you’ll find the right combination soon!:)

• July 12, 2006 at 8:56 am

Thanks for the responses. I’ve also noticed that when I’m “havin’ a flash” that where I have neuropathy, the nerve pain feels like a million red hot pokers. šŸ˜® Getting old is the pits and I’m just in my late 40’s!

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2006 at 11:25 pm

Hi Nancy,
      I just turned 43 and I think I started early menopause at 40, about the same time I started the GBS, I have major night sweats. Not every night but some nights I wake up wringing wet with sweat. When it first started everyone told me I was too young but like GBS I think they don’t have a clue. I take neurontin and I still sweat…yuckkkkk

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2006 at 12:56 am

i’m 42 and before gbs and my hysterectomy i use to sweat like a football player all day and night. i was forever using baby powder and changing clothes. my dr had no answer as to why i was like that, just knew it wasn’t normal. he attributed it to “me being me”, i’m a weird health problem type of a person, still am today!:) after my surg in 04, the sweating slowed way down and almost disappeared when i went on estrasorb creme, estrogen replacement creme instead of pill form. then i stopped using it after all my gbs problems in 05, and now i sweat alittle more but not nearly as bad as i was before. it is only after doing exercises or movement around the house like chores and things. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 11:07 am

i just read an article today, that states gabapentin (neurontin) is great for hot flashes!! pile them on!!!!! i read the article in medscape.com. šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 11:15 am

*evesdropping on the lady talk*

• July 20, 2006 at 12:10 pm

Saw my doctor and showed her the article and she gave me a prescription for gabapentin. My insurance covers it 100% but charges $60 for Neurontin so I went with the generic. I took Neurontin in the past but was still on my former employer’s insurance and they only charged $20. I just started so I don’t think there’s been much of a difference but I’ll give it a few weeks. This is my only hope for any “hormone replacement therapy” as I have had all the bad things that they warn you about being on the pill. I have had heart attacks (yes, plural), a stroke and I have deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) in my legs. I am also a kidney transplant recipient. I haven’t been on the pill since GBS but anything with hormones is out of the question.

She’s starting me off at 300 mgs/day but wants me to call her after 3 weeks to discuss how I feel. She said if I feel there is a difference, we’ll just keep adjusting it until we get it right. šŸ˜‰

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 5:08 pm

i’m with you there concerning the hrt, nancy. i’ve had clots and blood disorders. i’ve been on gabapentin since last sept, originally for nerve pain, but i have noticed since my dose was increased to 600, 600, and 900 that my hot flashes have almost gone away, not totally, but are alot better. i thought it was just in my head.:rolleyes:

• August 3, 2006 at 12:47 am

I’ve been taking it for two weeks now and it seems to be working. I’m not having as many “flashes” and the few I do have are minimal in heat and sweat. I’m pretty excited and I hope this works forever! Yippee!