Muscle Pulls

• April 13, 2008 at 12:43 am

I’m 28 years post and recently seem to be getting muscle pulls way too easily. I started taking Tae Kwon Do with my 13yr old a few months ago. The first regimented exercise i’ve done since rehab. Everything was fine until a couple weeks ago. I bent over to check the laces on my ankle support and pulled my hamstring. It was near the end of class and I was well-warmed up. A few days later I pulled a calf muscle and I wasn’t in class or even exercising at the time.

I didn’t attend class for a week and on my next class I re-pulled the hamstring again in the first five minutes of warm-ups. No classes since then but now it feels like a slight pull in my other calf. This is beginning to get annoying. Has anyone else noticed a post-GBS susceptibility to muscle pulls with regular participation in rigorous exercise, even when following proper warm-up and stretching protocols?

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2008 at 1:03 am

Hi Tom and welcome to “the Family”. My answer is yes. I don’t know if it is really muscle pulls or the nerves protesting. I do very well with yoga but 2 weeks ago I decided to try Tai Chi and that was a painful experience. I was OK the next day but by day 2, I was in a lot of nerve pain especially in my arms and legs. I did not recover in 18 hrs! A week later I knew that I still could not do it. I am 13.5 yrs. post GBS but have always dealt with residuals. I can’t say what is happening with you but this is my recent experience. Good luck!

• August 12, 2014 at 6:43 am

Muscles strains of all kind call be painful and limit your capability to train. Healing and treating a calf strain can obtain time and serenity. You generally know it’s a further serious about this instantly, since you will experience a really sharp pain in your groin region that makes it tricky for you to proceed with your physical activity.

• September 3, 2014 at 10:55 am

You are 28 and in this age you should not getting these problems especially when you do all of your stretching after doing your warmup. I suggest you to go to a sports medicine doctor.