MRSA "staph" infections…

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 6:28 pm

Our local news has reported 5 cases of this “staph” infection in the school system 40 miles from ours… Is this something that I need to be concerned about..???

Thanks…
      Aimee

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Everyone needs to have a “healthy concern” about ‘MRSA’. Last year, it took my Aunt 7 months to clear up a type of it. Another friend, this summer, contracted it after surgery and the doc’s said they don’t have an explanation why he didn’t die. And now my mother-in-law has an infection from a twig scratch on her leg that won’t heal. This is a catagory of “super bugs”. As with all viruses/infections, the first line of defense is washing of hands and keeping your immune system strong with good nutrition. Good luck to all 😮

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2006 at 9:52 pm

[COLOR=”Purple”]Hi Aimee. I agree with Judi. The first line of defense is good handwashing or what we call universal precautions in the hospital. Another precaution to watch for , which doesn’t happen enough with children, is to make sure all cuts, major scrapes, abrasions, boils and such are kept clean and covered. Skin to skin contact is common in groups and infections like MRSA can be spread easily when the wound, etc. is exposed. Take care, Vicki[/COLOR]

• October 7, 2006 at 7:15 am

I like those little bottles of anti-bacterial hand gels to carry in my purse, while my aunt was doing chemo I bought her a bunch of the nice smelling ones from Body Works. We use them alot especially to use when you go shopping. Grocery carts are the worse.

• Anonymous
      October 7, 2006 at 7:45 am

Aimee also hopefully you don’t come in contact wth anyone from that school system. Those 5 people should right now quarantine so it doesnt spread to other people because with the MRSA they will get very very sick with a chance of death.

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 7:18 pm

I just found out today that one of my students has a staph infection on her leg… I know early last week she showed me a sore on her leg that she wanted the nurse to look at… Today, I was in the office and just “by chance” heard them referring to it… You would think that they would tell the teachers when something like this is going on…

I will be sure to get the anti-bacterial handwash… I wash my hands every chance that I get but I’m so busy sometimes that I just can’t stop to do it… Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines…!!!

Thanks again…
      Aimee

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2006 at 7:31 pm

Be carefull Aimee I believe it’s contagious everybody who was in contact with her should be quarantine as a precaution. It can take a long time before she recovers.

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 4:23 am

I heard a frightening MRSA story on Sunday at a GBSSG area meeting here in northern England. Mother was in ICU with GBS but had acquired MRSA whilst in the hospital. All was properly labelled above her bed and so forth as the regulations and good practice require.
      Whilst her daughter, a very senior nurse in a major regional hospital, was visiting a Consultant with doctors, trainees and nurses in train came along. Consultant and then trainees inspected and handled her BUT without protective measures. Daughter was horrified.
      First she spoke quietly and diplomatically to a senior nurse about it but the latter was reluctant to say anything. “He’s a Consultant. I daren’t.”
      So daughter waded in and openly challenged Consultant about appalling failures, in front of everyone. He changed colour and backed off with full apologies.
      Brave but correct action?;)

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2006 at 5:20 pm

Kenspn…

My concern is just how much of a connection is there between a contagious form of staph and CIDP… I have,so far (knock on wood), not had a relapse… I want to avoid EVERYTHING that may cause one… Is a contagious form of staph infection something that could cause a relapse, and if so, which forms are THAT contagious… :confused:

Thanks…
      Aimee

• October 15, 2006 at 1:14 pm

Aimee,

My experience. I was dx CIDP in 93-94. Treated with IVIG and Plasma exchange and good response. Basically symptom free. In May of this year I had chills at noon on Friday. Felt punk on Saturday and by Saturday night could not stand or even crawl. Sunday night difficulty breathing and was placed on ventilator. I spent 3 weeks in ICU with ventilator and 5 more weeks in hospital and rehab. Can just now walk without a cane. Came home from hospital in wheel chair, after two weeks moved up to walker, then to cane and now walk without cane but with poor balance and little endurance. The diagnosis was: Staph infection which exacerbated the CIDP. The staph moved fast and I was basically paralysed within 36 hours. My experience says staph can put CIDP into high gear.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2006 at 5:44 pm

This is what I am afraid of… Do you know what kind of staph it was..??? I wish there was some way to let people know how serious this is and that they need to let us know if we are working with someone who has it…

Thanks again…
      Aimee

• October 17, 2006 at 6:18 pm

Aimee,

I do not know what kind of staph it was but I will check and see if I can find out. If I get a name I will post it here.