Moving on…

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 10:16 am

Hi everyone. I haven’t been to the boards in a long time. I was diagnosed with GBS in 2003. Since that time I have made pretty much a full recovery other than some lingering reminders at times. I feel very blessed.

I am now at the next stage in life and I am getting married. With that I have lots of questions about pregnancy, genes etc.

Have they determined whether or not GBS is hereditary? I have had a couple of auto immune diseases since GBS such as vasculitis but this does not run in my family. I wanted to know if you can pass this on?

Also, I’ve read that childbirth/pregnancy can trigger GBS. Is this true? Are there any precautions a former GBS can take? Or is this out of our hands? Should you avoid a epidural or spinal?

I recently had surgery to have my wisdom teeth removed that I had put off for years and I was under anesthesia with no adverse reactions but obviously this is different than an epidural.

Any insight would be great.

Thaknk you!

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 11:11 am

hi deenie,

like you, a reasonable number of gbsers have a few other autoimmune disorders. gbs also seems to have some genetic predisposition. nothing, in 2007, you can do abt it. gbs will not effect your pregnancy in the development of your baby. rest when you are tired. do not push yourself. although i believe trauma is a minor cause of gbs, i have yet to hear of a pregnancy bring about a gbs attack. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2007 at 11:34 am

Congratulations Deenie!

I’ve had two children and two c-sections with no GBS issues. ๐Ÿ™‚

• June 14, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Hi Deenie, Congratulatons! There is a very nice woman named Ali who had GBS at 18 I believe and went on to get married and have two children. I am sure she would answer questions for you. GBS is not hereditary by itself, but I do believe that autoimmune issues are genetic. It is so complicated, almost everyone has an autoimmune issue, food alergies, outside allergies, any kind of allergies, skin conditions, diabetes Type 1, asthma etc. etc. you get the picture. Anyone with those issues has a chance of getting any other autoimmune. This is the way it was explained to me. We can’t worry about it, because it is part of life. Google autoimmune diseases, you won’t believe how many there are. Your future spouse may have allergies or what not, and if you never had gbs, and knew about it, I bet you would not even think about not having children because he has allergies, an auto immune disease! We just were delt a really crappy deck in the autoimmune deck of cards! Exczema sure would have been alot easier to deal with! You are just starting a new chapter in your life, and you should enjoy every bit of it! That is what I am trying to do with my ten year old Kevin. YEsterday he went camping with friends, today he is playing with some other boys that called, soon he will be in middle school, then high school, eventually a dad and so on! Try to live each day and not worry! Easier said than done I know! KEvin is doing it, so I have to too!!! good luck to you! Dawn Kevies mom:o

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 9:06 am

Thank you guys! ๐Ÿ˜€ I got a lot of support from this forum when I was diagnosed and through the years! Nice to come back and see not much has changed!

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 7:52 pm

Deenie,

Just like Sylvia, I have had 2 C-sections (after GBS) with no problems whatsoever. My first was an emergency C-sec. and I was put totally under. The second was a spinal block, no problems there either.
      I think that there are so many things in our lives that ‘could’ trigger GBS again (it is a very very slight possibility) that I feel we cant stop living our lives for fear of what could be. Dawn (who by the way is a very nice lady herself ๐Ÿ˜€ ) said it best when she said that this is a whole new chapter in your life, you should try your very best to live and enjoy it to the full. Many, many women have gone on to have families and live full and happy (regardless of their usual residuals) lives after GBS.

Wishing you a ton of happiness!

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 8:29 pm

I also was married and Had a baby 5 years after GBS. I had to have Parker by C-section too.
      After all that nothing brought the GBS back on or Residuals.
      However the stress I under now from work and thinking I had other health
      problems has broght on Residuals I think.

Be happy and think of the fun your going to have.

parker0507/JB

• Anonymous
      June 19, 2007 at 6:53 pm

I had my daughter in 1990 (my GBS in 1989) she was a perfectly normal by the book pregnancy, labor and delivery. At 17 years of age she is a very normal teenager. In 1998 I had my son by c-section, pretty much by the book pregnancy, labor and delivery. He is a very normal healthy boy with no problems as of yet.

Karen:D