“Mild” GBS?

• February 4, 2018 at 4:34 am

Hi Everyone! My GBS condition was triggered by a viral infection. I was diagnosed about 3 weeks afterwards and was on IVIG treatment for a week. My neurologist says since gbs only affected my quads and knees and was picked up relatively early, it was a mild case. It has been 6 weeks since I have had treatment and am getting married in 3 months…so my patience is wearing thin.
      Could anyone share some insight as to when I could walk unaided by…I don’t want to walk down the aisle with my walker ☹️

• February 4, 2018 at 5:13 pm

Congratulations on both your upcoming wedding and having a mild case.

I don’t think anyone can predict how you’ll progress by that date or even how you’ll feel on that date, so “prepare for the worst and expect the best”. Keep in mind that even in “full” recovery, fatigue is a long-term side effect. And no two cases are exactly alike, so you may progress faster or slower, or get stronger before balance is improved, blah…..

Exercise in moderation. Consider wearing knee/leg braces- I used a pair of Ace braces for my ankles for a few months.

Paint your walker if it isn’t a rental, dress it up with ribbons if it is, fold it up and keep it handy. (My dad was a professional wedding photographer and I was his helper. I’m trying to not go too far here. So I’ll stop now.)

• GH
      February 5, 2018 at 9:52 am

Good advice from Electra. Recovery from nerve damage is slow, and it is not possible to predict when you will reach a particular milestone. Every wedding has some aspect which is not according to plan. Remember that it is not a performance, but a celebration. Any way that you can get down the aisle will do.

• February 26, 2018 at 12:54 am

You are lucky. I have to admit I am too. My GBS wasn’t mild but for sure not as bad as I have read some went through. I’m at a year still trying to walk un assisted on a walker. Have patience and do what you can to make the day the best it can be. It’s all in you to get the best of it you can but to know when things will be physically better is not possible.
      My prognosis is with in a year,,, after a year already.
      Good luck.