Mexico/Swine Flu

• April 24, 2009 at 6:10 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2009 at 7:37 pm

It was on the evening news here.

To my knowledge the swine flu vaccine was pulled off the market in ’77 because it caused GBS in so many people.

Scary stuff!

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2009 at 8:00 pm

They said this kind is a new strain that is infecting humans! 60 dead so far and several others sick. It is also resistant to two antibiotics that they used before but now it’s not working and have given two other kinds of antibiotics to use. Right now they have reports of some in Texas and San Deigo and I thought they named another place. Not in Canada yet but in the US already. That really is scary stuff! Especially when it mutates into human transport! Hope they get it straightened out soon. Swine flu is normally caught in the winter and fall seasons. This flu is attacking in warm weather. Does give you a scare! Famers in my area to putting down manure in the soil and no telling what they use.

• Anonymous
      April 24, 2009 at 9:18 pm

This is not the same swine flu as previous years. This one has the genes of avian, pig and human, all combined. The only thing that is relieving symptoms is Tamiflu and Relenza. It is very scary since the people who contracted it in the US did not have contact with swines or Mexico. It concerns me, but not to the point of avoiding things like public places or the like-just no Mexico vacations. Gee I wonder what the Wheel will do with all their Mexico trips?!:confused:
      That also makes me wonder if Tamiflu or Relenza will help or hurt those of us with autoimmune problems. Or if this outbreak goes country wide, and the vaccine is developed, should autoimmune compromised people receive it?
      Have a Good Weekend everybody!!:)

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I heard the same thing Cheryl! Just hope it does not reach as far as North Carolina. But hope it goes quickly and no more problems with what has already gotten out. I have that concern too! Those with weak immune systems! You know though! We have been rather lucky over the years with these bugs. Have not seen a plague in a very long time. It’s going to be a day when we see that plague again. And no telling how many lives will be lost because of it! We really have been lucky all these years. Just hope we stay that way! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I got GBS in the summer of 1976 when the swine flu shot was being given and many people were coming down with GBS. I did not get it from the flu shot, but the local newspaper asked if I would be interviewed about GBS. People were panicked. Does anyone know if we can take Tamiflu? I know a vaccine is out for most of us. Scary stuff.

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I would check with your Dr about Tamiflu.
      Ohio might have 2 cases:eek: one in Columbus and one (still haven’t got the results back on the test) in Wood County-which is the county south of me:eek: ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I’m staying away from the pigfarms and crowds for abit—going to continue to do my fishing thing;)

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 1:24 am

Gosh! This stuff is spreading rather quickly. Last week 150 students got sick in Queens. But only 8 reported from the CDC were confirmed Swine Flu. Now they have 4 reported cases in Canada. 1 in New Zealand, 2 in Indiania, A possible 3rd case in Texas, California. Ohio! And no telling where else.
      This stuff is getting bad in some places. 86 Mexicans dead so far and 1364 cases have been reported there.
      Then they are telling people not to lock their doors and be too concerned! That the US so far has had no deaths and the people are getting over it! But what about us with poor immune systems?
      Linda here is locking the door and not going out at all until this stuff runs it’s course. If it reached New York you know it’s gone to other States. People traveling everywhere on planes have pretty much brought this stuff to other states and countries.
      This sounds like one very nasty virus! No telling how many more are going to catch it!

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 1:27 am

PS! I’m already sick and hate getting sick and am afraid I am going to get sicker! :0) Okay! Call me whatever you want to call me! In fact I will call it myself!
      Linda is a big Chicken! Bak Bak! LOL

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 9:22 am

Linda,

I fear this type of possible pandemic flu too. If we can’t take the flu shot, we are screwed if this gets bad. I too am going to take precautions. I am going to store today and getting masks, just in case. Better get them while we can.
      I don’t care how ‘nutty” anyone thinks that is. I was lucky to survive my initial bout with GBS.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Took my mother to the doctor’s today and this woman came in and she started coughing something aweful! LOL! You should have seen everybody in there. They all at the same time including myself got huge scary bulging eyes and we all looked at her at the same time frame. ROFL! It’s not funny but you would have had to been there to see it! A few people sitting beside her very nicely got up and walked slowly to the other side but looked for a magazine first.
      That poor lady! LOL! It dawned on her what we must have all been thinking and then she said ” Gosh has my allergies been acting up with all this pollen! The entire room after she said that looked to have gotten relaxed after she mentioned asthma and allergies! I am even thinking about canceling my doctor’s appt for May 12th. Everybody today looked frightened as heck including myself.
      Not going out anymore until I hear this stuff is now controlled. Staying indoors away from it all for now. I think everybody is scared about this new bug!

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Linda I can just see that happening!! Its not funny, but I would be laughing to the point of peeing my pants!;) I get that reaction when I go into a coughing attack in public, I see the funniest faces on people. Now its going to be even better:)

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2009 at 7:57 am

What was even more funny was the doctor we saw. The Urologist! LOL! So I could just picture a regular doctor’s office. I had to step out and giggle and get it out of my system before going back in! ROFL! I wished I would have had a camera. I would have placed it on UTUBE! LOL! I wonder what it’s like in other places when someone coughs! LOL!

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2009 at 10:28 am

The threat of swine flu really has me nervous. I am 3 years post GBS dx with very little residuals. I only have mild tingling and numbness that is worse when tired. I have been very lucky, but when I get sick from a virus, I get a flare up. It always scares me b/c I am afraid of a another GBS onset. I think every one should take precautions. I don’t want to panic, but I have started getting extra food and water, so I won’t have to get out if it really does get bad. You should also try to avoid contact with anyone who could be sick, hopitals and malls, etc. Most of these cases in the US are linked to people who were on vacation or spring break in Mexico. Is anyone else freaking out like me?:eek: My sister was laughing at me yesterday when I told here I was buying bottled water.

• April 28, 2009 at 11:34 am

scary stuff. I feel like a conspiracy nut, but cant help it. *running off to put on my tinfoil hat*

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2009 at 1:15 pm

I have been reading about the Swine flu and how people are reacting to it.Each one has the right to do what they feel is right. For myself I don’t have the time to worry. 1st we have no cases in our state. Also we have had no deaths from the ones infected in the US.This morning on the news it was mention everyone in the US has a mild version and in some areas it seems to be on the decline.
      As far as a mask most of the ones you can buy will not stop the germs. The mask that would do good is the mask for people with active TB.
      I agree stay away from crowds and stay home. But there is something else we do not realize.You may not need a crowd as your paper boy or mailman could spread it when they delivers your paper or mail.You go shopping you could contact it from someone that has just touched what you are touching.
      I spent 20 yrs working in a big hospital. One thing we constanley heard over and over. WASH YOUR HANDS.
      They have said we have 2 drugs that are effective against this virus, Don;t listen to rumors only the facts.Our health does not deserve all the stress over something yet to be.and remember there is no word as LUCK. it is a blessing. Have a wonderful happy day (Steve)

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Remember, as of right now, there are only 68 cases in the US. That’s 68 people out of MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people.

Try not to stress too much. Just take normal flu season precautions & don’t let the media frenzy get you scared. Stress isn’t good!

I have a can of Lysol that I spray my door knobs with – especially my front door. Take your shoes off as soon as you come home – no need to track in germs on your feet & WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY!

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 9:22 am

Here’s a story from my local paper on the flu:

The swine flu may have infected a second Michigan resident, a 34-year-old woman from Ottawa County on the stateโ€™s west side.

โ€œThere are now two probable cases that are being sent to the (Centers for Disease Control) in Atlanta,โ€ said Megan Brown, spokeswoman for the stateโ€™s joint information center.

The first suspected case in the state, from Livingston County, was reported Monday.

A determination for the Livingston County case should be available today, and results for the Ottawa County case are expected by Thursday.

As of Tuesday, there were no confirmed cases of the swine flu in Oakland County or Michigan, but residents are still keeping doctorsโ€™ offices busy with their concerns.

โ€œI encourage people not to panic,โ€ said Dr. Timothy Oโ€™Neill, president of the Clarkston Med- ical Group. โ€œAt this point, I donโ€™t expect it to be any different from the flu that goes around every winter.โ€

The medical group has been busy fielding calls and visits from people who fear they might have the virus.

At least one person had a very legitimate concern, Oโ€™Neill said.

โ€œHis father had been in Mexico City and had been sick in Mexico,โ€ Oโ€™Neill said. โ€œWe checked them for influenza, they tested negative.โ€

What is swine flu?

โ€œJust like humans, pigs can have the flu. They have their own strains and thatโ€™s the swine flu,โ€ said Dr. Matthew Sims, director of infectious disease research for Beaumont Hospitals.

โ€œIt is possible for it to jump species. Usually thereโ€™s about one case a year.โ€

He continued, โ€œEvery few years, thereโ€™s sometimes an outbreak where the virus mutates and can enter humans.โ€

The strains of flu affecting people and pigs are similar, Sims said.

โ€œThe symptoms are very nonspecific,โ€ Oโ€™Neill said. โ€œThey are fever, sore throat, cough, muscle aches and a lot of viruses present themselves the same way, including the common cold as well as other types of influenza.โ€

Sims said that a โ€œfair numberโ€ of those infected with the swine flu have also reported diarrhea and vomiting, which is less common with normal strains of flu.

How bad is it?

โ€œMexico has over 800 suspected cases,โ€ Sims said. โ€œIt does seem to have started in Mexico.โ€

Only a small fraction of the cases being reported have been confirmed as swine flu. On Tuesday, just 26 Mexican cases had been confirmed.

โ€œOut of the confirmed, thereโ€™s been seven deaths so far,โ€ Sims said. โ€œThatโ€™s a fairly large percentage.โ€

Cases in the United States have not followed the same pattern, though. As of Tuesday, there were 64 confirmed cases.

That includes 10 cases in California, two cases in Kansas, 45 cases in New York City, one case in Ohio and six cases in Texas.

โ€œIn the U.S., thereโ€™s been no deaths reported and itโ€™s generally been described as a very mild illness,โ€ Sims said.

Sims does take comfort in that the CDC has acted quickly and said that Beaumont is ready to deal with a pandemic.

โ€œRight now, anybody who comes in with suspicion of swine flu and exposure or travel to Mexico or to somebody from Mexico, theyโ€™re treated as a suspected case and go directly to isolation,โ€ Sims said. โ€œAnybody who interacts wears a filter mask and the rooms have negative pressure so (the virus) canโ€™t escape.โ€

Prevention and treatment

Health professionals agree that good hygiene is best defense against the flu.

The virus is spread by droplets, so hand washing and coughing or sneezing into tissues, then disposing of them, will help prevent the spread of the virus.

โ€œNormally, the best protection for the seasonal flu is vaccination,โ€ Sims said.

โ€œBut the swine flu is not included in the vaccine because itโ€™s unexpected to jump. The vaccine probably will not offer protection.โ€

Treatment of the flu is limited but anti-viral medications like Tamiflu and Relenza can be effective, Sims said.

โ€œThe key is you have to get them started very early in the course for them to really help,โ€ Sims said.

Doctors also recommend staying away from sick people and, if youโ€™re sick, staying home from work.

As far as seeking medical treatment from a doctorโ€™s office, health officials say to make the trip if the illness becomes serious, with one exception:

โ€œIf a person has flu-like symptoms and has been in Mexico or been exposed to someone from Mexico, they should talk to their doctor right away,โ€ Sims said.

History of the swine flu

The identity of an influenza virus specific to pigs was isolated in the United States in 1930, according to the CDC.

โ€œPeople do not normally get swine flu but human infections can and do happen,โ€ states a CDC information sheet. โ€œSwine flu viruses have been reported to spread from person-to-person but in the past, this transmission was limited and not sustained beyond three people.โ€

The CDC estimates that between 15 and 25 percent of pig farmers get the pig version of

the illness, as do about 10 percent of veterinarians who treat pigs regularly.

These cases are often mistaken for the human form of the flu and go unrecognized.

Usually, the swine flu is passed from a pig to a person and not from person to person, as is happening with the current strain.

However, a swine flu outbreak in 1976 at Fort Dix, N.J., did become contagious among humans.

The outbreak made 200 people seriously ill and caused one death.

According to the CDC, 12 human cases of swine flu have been detected in the U.S. between 2005 and January 2009. None of them were fatal.

โ€œThe key message is, donโ€™t panic,โ€ Sims said. โ€œItโ€™s scary. Certainly nobody wants to hear about an outbreak, but the systems have been mobilized to provide care.โ€

Here is the link:

[url]http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/04/29/news/local_news/doc49f811d57582a693367971.txt[/url]

I find it interesting that pig farmers & pig vets get swine flu. There have been other cases reported over the last 4 years too.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 1:51 pm

It is almost impossable to stay away from the flu of any kind. My wife brought some strawberries home about two weeks ago and got some more last night to make a pie with them. Well, there is no strawberries ripe here locally for another month now at least in the midwest states. I asked, where did the berries come from ? She said Southern CA. Well, you and I both know who picked these berries, and they are a hard thing to try and wash before you eat them. It is not just the berries, but lots of other fruits and veggies we eat this time of year. Just do the best we can and let the chips fall where they may.
      God bless all,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 3:39 pm

adding my two bits…

Today we learned that a case was confirmed in the county I live in. However, it is a California resident that was traveling thru. He was ill and went to the ER…was not admitted and is still in Omaha. He tested positive and is being quarantined and everyone he has come in to contact with has been screened.
      Interesting how this is coming about.

I work in a govt owned nursing home facility. The largest in Nebraska. We are having a meeting tomorrow on what our roles will be, should our facility get cases of swine flu. Everything from working in the dietary to manning the doors to keep people out.
      I’ll update tomorrow with more on that.

Me, being a CIDP person, I’d have to say that I’ll ask to be excused from such duties.

Hoping this is a far fetched deal and we never have to find out how well the plan is.

I know that I am really only worried about our up coming vacations and airplane rides.
      Wont let it keep me home, tho. not yet anyway!

I guess in the mean time ?
      Wash your hands everyone…and hold on…this could be a bumpy ride.

Well wishes to all
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Stacey, please let us know what is going on there with the flu. You are in a good position, unfortunately, to get the first hand news. I see on the news now they are not calling it swine flu, but something else that means the same thing. Seems some folks have quite eating pork and that is costing some pig farmers big time. I don’t blame them tho, and I would probably feel the same way if I was a pig farmer. They are saying for us to get ready for a world wide pandemic. Yeah, just like the one in 1918 I am told. I think that one killed millions, and surely we are Much more advanced medically than we were then. Yeah, I will be washing my hands and rinceing with alcohol. I always do anyway in the winter and flu season.
      God bless all,

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2009 at 11:12 pm

What I have read about this flu in our country is that it is mild. I think they are scaring people. I do think that we should treat this as we would any flu – use common sense. As sufferers of GBS and CIDP, we do need to protect ourselves more than the average person. They tried to scare us with the Avian Flu and that did not pan out. I did not buy red peppers because they were from Mexico. I bought them from Canada and paid double the price. But it was worth it to me. They made fun of what Joe Biden said, but he made sense. Flying at this time is not a good idea. Many airlines recycle the air because it is cheaper. But that would hurt the airline industry so they made him look silly. I am treating it as any other flu – which I do not wish to get for fear it would start up the GBS. I am not joining in the panic that the news programs are promoting. I am keeping my immune system strong and staying out of crowds. If I were to contract it, I would take Olive Leaf which fights viruses and bacteria. There are several herbs that fight viruses. The body can fight off diseases but the medical profession dismisses this. They are looking for that silver bullet – thanks to the pharmaceutical profession – which I have lost respect for.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 1:39 am

I think Joe Biden meant what he said the first time. lol ๐Ÿ™‚ It seems as if he was in big trouble for inciteing panic in the public. Well, he came back and said that was not what he meant, but to only not fly to Mexico. Now he, and we, know that his first statement was true and that he meant what he said. These politicians are always walking a fine line and cannot be responsible for causeing some airline, or airlines, to fail due too his statement the first time. So he just comes back and changes what he said. lol ๐Ÿ™‚ Carolyn, I too believe in eating healty and washing the hands as much as is possible.Talk later………
      God bless all,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 6:05 am

Saw on the news this morning that 16 States now have the virus with 257 confirmed. You know! Because of the economy and money they are just going to let this virus spread anyway no matter what. We will all just have to be more careful washing our hands and staying out of confined places that could spread the virus more easily. Either way though we are all prone to catching it. Just wash your hands everytime you touch something that has been touched by a stranger. When going shopping for groceries use a papertowel to hold on to the carts. After unloading your groceries wash your hands. Even when checking the mail make sure you wash your hands. Going out in the public for those with weak immune systems.. maybe purchasing a mask would help prevent this also from spreading.
      Right now we all have to be more careful than usual in hopes it won’t spread any more than it has. Hopefully it will fizzle out and just go away soon!
      In the meantime, enjoy your life! It’s too short anyway and each moment we have enjoy what we do have! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 8:06 am

Good morning.
      Yesterday on Fox they said very few eldery people are getting this virus. something about our imune systum building up a resistant to the virus. Now for HOWDY DOODY (THE MOUTH JOE BIDEN)The mans mouth was out of control and it is still out of control.He showed his true side. He cares for himself and his family and forget america.He has a yellow streak up his back and all he wants is to grin in front of the camara.I would love to see the airlines sue him till he had nothing. I also was an airline mechanic. the air is recycled and filtered and treated before it comes back. Your chance of getting a virus on a plane is less than you could around 10 people. if you were sitting beside a sick person then you have a high chance of getting sick.
      Have a great day and walk in calminess and happyness (Steve)

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 8:49 am

Please keep your political views to yourself… There could be several people on this forum that really really thought the previous administration was a joke… You probably are too young to remember what Reagan did to Airline Controllers….:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 8:55 am

First of all, please keep your politics out of it… Second, Fox is hardly a “news channel” to get “fair and balanced” news.. I’m sorry you are soured on his statement.. I didn’t catch it, but heard it wasn’t the brightest.. As an ex airline worker, maybe you remember what Reagan did for traffic controllers and airline safety…….:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 11:45 am

There are no antibiotics that will help w/any flu. Now, it is possible for the flu to cause a secondary infection by bacteria and then antibiotics would help that. Antiviral is what is needed, like tamiflu, which is not useful until you are exhibiting symptoms, and then you must start the tamiflu within 48 hours to be of any use. You all who say we are out as far as a vaccine are right-I would not want to take the chance of another bout of GBS.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I got up early this morning and went ahead and bought groceries just in case this stuff gets really bad. Even bought some cough syrup and liquid Nyquil Flu medication too just in case! Lets just say I stocked up just in case they start closing stuff down here trying to control the stuff! That way I won’t have to worry about getting out and exposing myself. It does seem to be spreading rather quickly though. Each day another state has the virus. And new cases are getting confirmed.
      At least we are not getting to many deaths just yet in the US. I think it may have weakened for some reason in the US.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Steve,
      I saw on tv that airplanes are equipped to filter the air with HEPA filters and can bring in air from outside…BUT…..airlines save money by not doing that..they merely recycle it. Usually when I flew, I got a cold within a day or two. If they did what they are supposed to, as you explained they can, then you are absolutely right. But talking to pilot friends of mine, they don’t do that. Perhaps it depends on the airline. But how do we know which airline does or doesn’t use the equipment that you described? When you are on a plane for several hours or more, it is highly likely that you will share more germs than those people just sitting within a few feet of you.
      I haven’t flown in many years just because of this. If I hadn’t had pilot friends, I might have naively flown. When I take the bus in the winter, I bundle up with a scarf around my face. The bus driver told me that there was a woman who sneezed and it went all over him and his front window!!

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm

Hi guys,
      I am flying to florida on the 12 so I really hope this isn’t going to be a problem. I guess I’ll just try to keep up with the news and see what they have to say.

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2009 at 3:57 am

Stormy, we wiil be praying for you on the 12th !!! You take all the precautions you can while you are out and about. Linda, I think it is not a bad idea to stock up on a survival kit if you will. I heard on CNN tonight and Wolf Blitzer said it is a possibility that this flu may get worse for us when the temps warm up here. That all we need…not only have to worry about dodgeing the flu in cold weather, but now maybe the year around now, or for this year anyway. Lets pray we don’t have to do that !!! I have never heard the word GBS mentioned and they talk about the 1978 flu vaccine and say they pulled it off the market after several people getting sick with it and some dieing. I wonder why they don’t mention the GBS and give us a little bit of exposer anyway ? Our liasion is having a walk a mile for GBS the 9th of this month and that will be something to get peoples attention anyway. They have walks and runs for cancer, heart and everything else…so why not have something for the GBS group.Thanks Susan for getting this started for us here.Susan, I hope you are able to be there the 9th. I know you will if anyway possible, but I also know you have alot of problems like the rest of us and probably more than some here. Well, gotta get off here as it is getting late now.
      God bless all,
      Drummer
      PS – LindaH, women will use anything for an excuse to go shopping ! lol ๐Ÿ™‚ Just teaseing y’all Linda. lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2009 at 5:24 am

Yes Drummer! I do find excuses to go shopping. When I feel good I don’t stay home and try to get out. Last week I was at Kmart trying to find some stretchy socks for my mom because the ones at Walmart are too tight on her ankles. Ohh my goodness! I hit a 99 cents clearance rack full of winter clothes that did not sell during the holiday season. Not a thing wrong with them either. I bought $100.00 worth! Came home and have already taken the tags off and wrapped them up for Christmas! Got my daughters some nice sweaters, son in law, daughter in law,son, me and Andy clothes! All for 99 cents each! ROFL! Even got the grandbabies clothes. MY Christmas is done! The price tags varied from $14.99 to $34.99 but alot of them had $29.99 on them. I will never hit a deal like that ever again!
      Ohh! I posted below about the Swine Flu in my State. They had it on the news yesterday on TV but also found a online link too! My question is what is your state doing behind your back not telling you?

[url]http://www.mcclatchycdc.com/homepage/story/67471[/url] html

[url]www.infowars.com/noth-carolina-involuntary-isolating-suspected-swine-flu-patients/[/url]

Not once all week have they mentioned anything on the news about NC getting Swine Flu patients and then last night they gave us the bombshell on the news. And then they were told 18 days about this stuff before they reported a problem about the Flu. So no telling how many are going to get this stuff! Drummer! I have two freeezers and my refrigerator freezer full of food. Last year I started stock piling because I saw the economy doing something before they had the Bailout. I have been keeping that stockpile up ever since. I got a good years supply of food in my cabinets. Medications stocked up. Cases of soda stocked up! Only thing I buy now is dairy products and things we have used up. Replacing what I used. Even got both bathrooms filled up with enough toilet paper to last a while. LOL
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 9:57 am

I just noticed the reference to NC. I have a friend in Sophia, NC that’s daughter was diagnosed with the Swine Flu yesterday! Just so you know!

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Seven cases have been confirmed as swine flu. And many others are still pending results in NC. Pleasure to meet you here! Only have met one other in here from NC but don’t really know to many more. They did have a interview with A CEO that deals with the Mexicans here in NC It was on the NC Channel and called North Carolina Now! He was a Mexican Immigrant that came here in 1976. Very good interview and the man made alot of sense. Kind of gave his theory about it and I had the same theory too! So at least I am not the only one thinking about it! But they keep saying this is mild form and not what they had expected. But we have only for a short time started seeing this flu in our country and so far we have not seen it like in Mexico. Two deaths so far here though. I still say we are really a little too early and when it does get out of hand then we will actually see if they were right or wrong about the mildness of this new virus.
      Maybe God will see to it that this virus doesn’t cause to many more problems and we won’t have to worry as much! Right now though I am still worried! But now going to say my peace about it except pray that is does not get out of hand.

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2009 at 2:57 pm

My husband and I just got back from Mexico on Saturday night. This is the first time we’ve travelled south since his CIDP diagnosis of Feb 2005! What kind of dumb luck is that?

We left on the 25th because they were still not advising to cancel. In the end we had a good trip and we stayed on the resort. We didn’t go into Playa del Carmen. In fact they ended up closing the tourist sights like Tulum and Chitzen Itza anyway. Plus we were travelling with a 4 and 2 yr old and that is just too much work.

By the end of our week the resort was barely occupied. They had closed the main buffet and laid off most of the staff. When we left we heard the remaining guests may be moved to another smaller hotel.

At the airport we had to fill out a health form. A basket of pens was left out for ALL to use. Then we had to have our temperature taken. When we passed that, they just stamped our forms and we were on our way. Many people in the airport were wearing masks. The flight attendants did offer them on the plane and some people took them. I didn’t see anyone wearing them and the flight crew did not have any on.

They only asked us at customs if we had been in contact with anyone who had a fever or if we did ourselves. We said no and he said “welcome back.”

My kids daycares’ were freaked out. They both told me that if they so much as sneezed or had a runny nose that they would be sent home. I sent them to my mother’s rather than bother with sending them and then having them sent home. I think they were more stressed out with having to deal with the parents who were freaked out. My employer didn’t say anything and I unfotunately came back with a cold. My husband’s employer didn’t say anything about him staying home either.

There is one case where I live as of now and one death in Canada out west (in Edmon?)

Both my mother and mother-in-law were concerned enough to call us in Mexico.

Safe and happy to be home N1H1 free…. with a husband who is healthy (if you can call CIDP stricken people healthy!)

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Glad you are doing okay and didn’t get sick. I don’t know what to believe anymore about it. One minute on the news here they say one thing and the next minute they say something else! First bad scenario then to mild and just read again online that it could turned into something worse again! Best thing to do is just wash your hands carefully and when you cough hold something over your mouth and just pray you don’t catch it~
      Even though I do worry about it. Only thing we can do is keep living and deal with it when it happens. Hoping I don’t get sick but you never know!
      Good luck and I hope you stay well!
      Hugs
      Linda H