Message Therapy

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2008 at 10:49 am

I was wondering if any of you go to massage therapy? Is massage something that would help with GBS? Do any of you feel better when your skin is fubbed or touched? Is it just me. What do you think on this?

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I love to be massaged. :p Not sure if it helps but I do know it helps to relax me and just plain old feels great! I know I rub my feet all the time cause they are so sore and cold. Usually they feel better. I am considering getting a massage unit for my feet.

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Massage therapy is excellent for improving circulation thereby increasing oxygenation throughout the body as well as increasing the release of toxins. That’s a win/win 🙂

That said, some of us hurt to much when the skin/body is touched, so it’s of individual benefit. I most definitely benefit from massage therapy but I, personally, cannot tolerate any kind of vibration (massage unit as Rhonda mentioned) to my feet but the bi-weekly foot massage from my husband definitely helps. We can tell the difference in my “body language” if it’s more than 3 days without. There is an book titled “Healing Yourself with Foot Reflexology” by Mildred Carter/Tammy Weber that is excellent. I know that there are many other good texts, also.

Acupuncture continually makes a huge difference for me but for others it just doesn’t seem to help. Whether it is allopathic medicine or complimentary medicine, each one of us, thru trial and error has to find what works. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Kinney,

I have had massage therapy on my legs and feet. It feels good and relaxing at the time but other than that it didn’t help my GBS.
      I get more of the tingling sensations when I am touched or patted, more so on the back than the legs.

Shirley

• Anonymous
      May 28, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Judi

I also can’t stand the vibration but there are massage chairs that simulate human touch. That is the kind I am looking for. I have found them but very expensive. Sears has a unit that just does calves and feet. I like it but I want to look around before buying one. It costs about 300 dollars!

• Anonymous
      June 5, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Thank you for your thoughts on this subject.
      I am glad that I am not alone.
      🙂

• Anonymous
      June 6, 2008 at 4:44 pm

like Judi Z said, the benefits of massage are improved circulation and feeling better.

-improved circulation: for sure cannot harm, and if nerve regrowth is slowed due to toxins or oxygen depletion it will remove that obstacle. Oh, and if when you are ‘cured’ (nerves fully regrown) and it’s time to rebuild the lost muscle tissue, then massage is definately a good thing.

-feeling good: yeah baby! This helps most healing processes. The scientific explaination is probably that your mood affects your hormonal balance which again affects everything else. But even if the healing doesnt go faster, you still feel a lot better in the meantime.

-relaxing: personally i find that massage (on the rare occasion i get it) helps me relax better. And rest is the one and only thing my neurologists prescribed.

Mind you, if massage is uncomfortable then you need to find a different way of feeling good. Romantic dates, funny jokes and spending time with good friends also helps cure GBS, at least in my book.

andreas
      -going to order a massage next week, thanks for the tip

• June 7, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Kinney

In Australia we have something called Bowen Therapy… “a remedial body technique that comprises sequences of small gentle movements, each at a specific site on the body. There is no forceful manipulation, just a light cross-fibre maneuvering of a muscle, tendon or ligament. It aims to empower the body’s own healing resources to achieve balance and harmony and result in lasting relief from pain and discomfort. It is used to treat a wide range of conditions from sports injuries to chronic or organic complaints.”

I find this helps with my energy flow and FEELS good except when they hit the sore spots!

Good luck and enjoy a massage.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2008 at 1:09 am

I beg my husband to massage me whenever possible. I don’t know why it helps, but it does, especially if he does long strokes around my ribcage.

He spent $125 on a massage seat cushion for me. The pain is relieved to the point that it is tolerable, but it seems the “electricity” is way worse. It is one of those shiatsu massagers, which is pretty harsh, so maybe that is why.

My favorite thing to use when im alone is a hot rice compress. Just get a pillow case (whatever size you like) and fill it with rice. Tie or sew it shut. I pop mine in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes then shake it up so the heat is evenly dispursed. Stays warm for a long time. added dried lavender flowers to one – so soothing!

For neck or head pain, use the biggest, longest mens’ sock you can find. Just don’t overfill it though, cuz it wont wrap around as comfortably.

• April 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm

one, fifteen minute limit in good massage chair per day.

take a walk. use chair (when on) 3-4 times per week.

overusing chair brought on relapse of CIDP disabilities during my usual remission periods(inflammation aggravation of spine, phrenic nerve problems, brachial plexus and sternomastoid muscle discombobulations, etc.).

anti-gravity positions are great when chair is not on.

Tagged: