Mercury and lead blood levels and vitamin therapy

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 6:05 pm

I am looking for some response from anyone that may have been to an Enviromental Physician. My mercury blood level was 5.3 (ref. <5.0) and lead was 1.0 (ref. 0.0 to 10.0). He also wants to check my urine for mercury and lead, I'll need to take DMSA first then collect the urine.

I have logged a call to my neurologist about all this and I am waiting for him to call me back.

The enviromental phy. has prescribed what I feel is allot of vitamins. 6 B vitamins (separate). Vit. e 400units, vit. D 1,000 units vit. A 25000 IU vit C powder cal-assimilate 4x/day and C-L carnatine 2xs a day and vitamin D 1000mg.

I am looking forward to some feed back.

Thanks,
      Pam K

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2006 at 10:54 pm

hi pam, i’ve had 3 24 hour urines tested, each came back with elevated/high arsenic levels. not sure why the hospital didn’t test for specifisity(sp?) as to why and what type it is. each time i was in the hospital for a number of days prior to testing and did not eat fish or seafood of any kind before the tests. i think there may be a link between my paralysis events and the levels but my dr thinks it is something else going on. you might want to check on the amounts of those vitamins your dr wants you to take-it seems like an awful lot on the system, you don’t want to overload the immune system that will go against what is best for gbs/cidp people. the b vitamins help the nerves but tooo many can do more harm then good, in my opinion.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 4:51 am

25000 IU vit C powder cal-assimilate 4x/day

I’m not sure at all what this means! However, Vitamin C is being closely studied for treating inherited neuropathies (CMT/Charcot Marie Tooth) in Europe and now here in US (Hopkins). People take as much as 10 g/day (10,000 mg). I personal limit my intake to 2 g/day because Vitamin C can be rough on your body. I’d be cautious with the B’s. 400 E’s is perfectly safe.

I’d be interested in knowing what your neurologist says.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 3:46 pm

Arsenic poisoning mimics the exact symptoms as GBS. Anyone who has worked with any chemicals and has GBS should be tested for chemical poisoning.

• October 25, 2006 at 10:45 am

Pam,

Do you think you have heavy metal poisoning in addition to CIDP? Who referred you to your Environmental Physician?

Here’s a great page on vitamins from the Cleveland Clinic:
      [url]http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/3300/3393.asp?index=9763&src=newsp[/url]

You might also want to take the time to glance at these pages on vitamin toxicity symptoms:
      [url]http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic638.htm[/url]
      [url]http://1stholistic.com/Nutrition/hol_nutr-toxic-dosages.htm[/url]

I am a great fan of supplements. I started my program under the supervision of a licensed natural pharmacist with the approval of my neurologist. Personally I think your pills sound a little unbalanced – there are a lot more antioxidants out there rather than so much vitamin C. Naturally a doctor would know more about what he is prescribing; but I did have friend whose dentist said to take waaaay too much vitamin C because he was not specifically trained to understand supplements.

Five years ago I looked into the possibility of mercury poisoning from my fillings. Unfortunately it looked to me and my dentist that the required dental surgery and alternative fillings would be even worse for my particular health problems.

You are responsible for your own health. Do research and ask questions. Chelation therapies to cleanse your system are not fun so you should not subject your already weakened body to it unless ALL your doctors agree it is necessary.

Naturally there’s a big red flag if your new doctor is selling the supplements out of his own office.

Flossie

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 7:41 pm

Thank you so much for your replies. I did speak with my neurologist today about the vitamins and chelation. He was against the chelation in order to obtain a urine spec. that would give a more accurate reading of the heavy metal level in my body.

I like the idea of taking the supplements under the supervision of a licensed natural pharmacist. I feel it is extremely important to run anything different that I maybe doing by my neurologist.

I really appreciate the web sites. I am so happy this forum is available to us. It is such an excellent resource in addition to our neurologists.

Pam K

• October 26, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Pam,

It’s a great idea to get some one you trust to help you set up a safe supplement plan. However, do read these 2 articles explaining the snake oil techniques to beware of.
      [url]http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pharm.html[/url]
      [url]http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/compounding.html[/url]

My supplement plan only started with the natural pharmacist. He was the one credentialed professional who was willing to take extra time to look beyond the standard teatments for CIDP. I have an excellent neurologist, mental health helper and family doctor; but they are not affordably available nor trained to help me search for alternative pain relief.

Then as I learned more about my disease and how various supplements worked I adjusted my pills according to my own experiences. For instance, my magic antioxidant (grape seed extract) might not be the one that reduces your pain. No supplement is going to cure CIDP , but I do feel that by making my whole body stronger the supplements help me deal with the effects of CIDP.

Each of us has a unique experience with this disease. You need to find help that you can trust. Check out your pharmacist the same way you would check out a new doctor – that’s what licensing agencies are for. Find a personality you will enjoy working with. Then do your own research in addtion – supplements are not always harmless.

Good luck,
      Flossie