Meralgia Paresthetica

• December 10, 2006 at 6:52 pm

Hi Gang-

I haven’t been here in awhile as I have been feeling quite well but had a problem a few weeks ago that scared me. I stood up from my desk on Monday (11/20) evening and felt a slight pain in my left groin. I figured I just twisted oddly and didn’t give it another thought. Later that evening when I finally went to bed, I was still hurting but not even enough to take a Tylenol. Around 3:00 AM, the pain woke me up and it had moved from the groin area to the outside of my thigh down to my knee. I have some permanent neuropthy on my outer thighs but this was different. I took two Tylenol and went back to sleep. When I got up Tuesday morning, I could barely move and had to get my cane. I stayed off my feet all day Tuesday. Wednesday when I got up, it didn’t hurt as much but stayed on the cane. The area was numb but I had to go to the grocery store to pick up some final Thanksgiving items. (You know us GBSers—stubborn as h**l!) I hoped an electric cart would be available and there was! Got exactly what I needed and dashed home. It took all day Wednesday to prepare two things. Wednesday evening was OK but Thanksgiving Day was tough. I didn’t want to complain because the whole family was in town. But my older sister—who doesn’t miss a thing—called me later and asked me if I had sought medical attention. Well, no. Why is it that big stuff happens on weekends and holidays??? She finally took me to the ER where I was diagnosed with Meraligia Paresthetica. I’ve never heard of it so came home and Googled. The ER doctor (if he was 30, I’m a movie star!) told me there was a drug he could prescribe that was not approved for nerve problems but seemed to work. I blurted out Neurontin and he looked surprised and said yes. I told him I am five years post GBS and he got the ah-ha look on his face!

So here’s my question/request—have any of y’all ever been diagnosed with Meralgia Paresthetica and if so, how long did the numbness last and how do you feel today?

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Nancy,

I don’t know anything about what you are going through – I just felt bad nobody else does either so no responses. Hope you are doing okay.

Let us know!

• July 10, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I was diagnosed with Meralgia Paresthetica almost 3 years ago. Found a book on it that recommended Gabapentin, which worked well enough for me to start the exercise program it suggested. I believe you can get the book at Amazon and most book stores. It’s called Curing Meralgia Paresthetica.

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2006 at 10:17 am

I’m sorry, Nancy! Have you been able to find a website/support group for that particular ailment? I hope you don’t feel too alone right now!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2006 at 1:33 pm

I had never heard of this before so I looked it up. I have been having pain that from everything I have read would come from the L2-3 nerve roots somehow. I just have no idea what it is and it puts me to tears. I was in at my GB last week and he thought it was because of muscle spasms, but I may go back to my Neuro sooner than scheduled if this doesnt go away soon because my Neurontin took the edge off of most of my pain but didnt seem to touch this.

Tagged: