Mental Health Support

• March 8, 2021 at 6:37 pm

Hi! I am working with a Licensed Clinical Social Worker on having a virtual support group for the community. I am wondering if there are topics or questions you have that can be answered or supported by a social worker.

Thank you!

• March 8, 2021 at 7:45 pm

These forums deal with very rare diseases that even experienced medical professionals with years of practice have a hard time answering specifically. A social worker, licensed or not, would be unlikely to have reliable medical advice or provide worthwhile support.

• March 8, 2021 at 9:04 pm

Hi Jim,
      Of course a social worker will not be able to provide medical advices because they are not trained as a medical professional. A social worker, however, can provide mental health support which can be often overlooked. Some examples can be like feelings of isolation, helplessness, hopelessness, powerlessness, feeling overwhelmed, anxious feeling, low moods, etc. which are all concerns that are worth to be to be heard, acknowledged, and processed.

• July 22, 2021 at 7:10 pm

littoxfish, I think your idea is excellent. I struggle with all the aspects ou mention wanting to include in your support group. jim seems right on about the specific medical advise, the the  emotional and mental aspects must be universal to those of us with the isolating rare conditions. Hope the group has worked out for you.

• July 29, 2021 at 5:16 pm

So can your local clergyman…………….