Menactra Vaccine

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2008 at 10:57 am

[B]I saw a commercial this week several times for the Menactra Vaccine, it cautioned about getting GBS from it and also said if you have had GBS “DO NOT” take this vaccine as it may cause another attack of GBS.

It’s about time the pharma companies are telling it like it is.Now if only the CDC would tell it like it is about all vaccines there would be less people developing GBS/CIDP from vaccines.[/B]

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 1:10 pm

I just looked that vaccine up and found numerous websites talking about people getting GBS from Menactra. There are lawsuits also.
      There was an alert issued in 2005 about Menactra and GBS.
      It seems that any vaccine can cause your immune system to react.
      Now I see Gardasil doing it too.
      Its a shame the drug companies can’t find a safer way.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 7:53 pm

I wonder what ingredients they are using in both drugs. Makes you wonder about the ingredients! That Gardisil is a dangerous vaccine. One of my neighbor’s daughter had that shot and it almost killed her. Just wonder if they both have 1 particular ingredient that may be the culprit!

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 12:50 pm

[B]I have been an advocate againist all vaccines for many years now since seeing all the havoc that these vaccines can cause. I know that certain vaccines can wipe out a lot of childhood illnesses, but it scares me to death.

For those of you who don’t know what happened to me as a child I will tell my story again. In the 1950’s when they first developed the Polio Vaccine, I was among the first group of children to receive it at the age of 7 or 8. Within a week I was paralyzed from the waist up for days and the doctors told my parents that it was the vaccine that caused it, but I was never diagnosed with GBS/CIDP. Years later my neurologist said that he thought I had post polio syndrome. Who knows exactly what I had as I was never tested back in those days. I have always had major problems with my neurological system since.

The information that we all post here is to give you all the info you need to make an informed decision regarding “Any Vaccine” you or your children may take. We can’t tell you not to take a vaccine because that is your decision and yours alone to make. Just be an informed consumer and patient.[/B]

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 7:38 pm

So sorry to hear what you went through Donna! But I do agree that we need to check things out to see if we want to take that risk first before taking any vaccines or medications. To some it may save lives but to others it could kill. Every person needs to know this before taking any drugs or vaccines. I agree with you! Scary how things are made and profit is made but a human life is priceless! Hugs

• September 24, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Just want to know about what you all think or do. Do you have your family get the flu vaccine? What do you think about this? I am not for it. Not after having GBS.
      Schel

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2008 at 10:48 pm

I am not for it and I will never have one (I had GBS also). I have recommended to my kids that they not have them either but they are all adults and they must make that decision for themselves. I educate…they decide.

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 7:55 pm

[QUOTE=schel]Just want to know about what you all think or do. Do you have your family get the flu vaccine? What do you think about this? I am not for it. Not after having GBS.
      Schel[/QUOTE]

Since Frank developed GBS/CIDP from the Flu Vaccine, I have advocated to my children and spouses and my grandson never to take the vaccine and they don’t nor will they ever.

• Anonymous
      December 30, 2008 at 11:00 am

I am with you on this one! I don’t know how some of these drugs get through. For most general population, people have not a clue about or what GBS is and I am sure when they hear of it on the TV ads they just think “well, I haven’t, so it must be ok.” (similar to what I felt like when I previously got the flu shot…GBS in small print or coughed under the nurses breath upon signing consent…really?) Well, that is just ridiculous! Shame on the pharm. companies and the government. I know physicians say that every vaccine has it’s risks and one must need to outweigh the pro’s and con’s. However, let’s do more education and research first. For those of us who have had GBS (no matter how severe or light the case was) or know somone who has, and cases seem to be on the rise, who would volunteer themselves or their kids for that risk? I know of a state where they are mandating that college students are vaccinated for menigitis…Menactra I believe, and they will not accept students without it. Really? That just seems so wrong. Especially when the TV ads even declare that Menactra may not work for everyone. So, let’s take the risk and hope it works for someone and it does or doesn’t and let’s set them up for GBS? I THINK NOT! Sorry, just need to vent a bit. From someone who had a severe case of GBS…I wouldn’t advise anyone to put themselves more at risk then living life itself as a virus alone can send the spiral of one’s own immune system.

Room 679

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I am 65 years old, had taken the flu vaccine for probably 20 years with no problem. Two years ago was dx with CIDP after six months of getting worse and worse. Numbness, lost of balance, pain in feet, legs, could not climb stairs. I had taken the flu vaccine and tetnus the same office visit. Didn’t ask for the tetnus, the NP just decided I should have it. After serveral ivig treatments, physical therapy, I have been back on my feet. I still take ivig every six weeks. I am really stressed over the flu vaccine this year because the news makes such an issue of, and there have been some younger folks die from the H1N1. However, I have decided that I will not take the vaccine ever again. Just try to stay isolated.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2009 at 11:18 pm

I had classic GBS onset within 2 weeks of getting the flu vaccine. The neurologists at the hospital ruled out any and every other possible cause (including eating undercooked chicken) and really hated having to point to the flu vaccine as the culprit. However, before I was discharged from the hospital they repeatedly told me to never get another flu shot (as if I needed to be told!). I have heard that a preservative in vaccines called Thimerisol could be what causes these reactions.
      P.S. the neuros decided to label my GBS as “atypical” because even though the onset was classic textbook, my diagnostic test results were not. Never mind that I was physically (neurologically) compromised…anyway, I don’t get any vaccine of any kind to be on the safe side.