Medicines For Paresthesia

• June 4, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I have been using Gabapentin for 4 years to deal with my paresthesia in doses of 1800 mg per day. All it does is tamper it down a bit, but it’s always there. Numbness and tingling is part of my life every day. What is your experience? What meds or combo of meds helps you? I’ve heard that a combo that includes an anti-depressant may help. I am male and 72 years old.

P.S. My case was severe. I was left with a deficit. I never fully recovered and have two dropped feet and will wear braces until I pass go.

• June 5, 2014 at 1:57 am

Several forum members have reported better results with Pregabalin (Lyrica) over Gabapentin. Have you used a corticosteroid such as Prednisone? This drug group can help reduce the tingling and burning we can get with peripheral neuropathies. Do you have Diabetes? Diabetes can aggravate Paresthesia. You may also want to look into Alpha Lipoid Acid (1200-1800 MG/day) as a possible help. Some have reported relief using Amitriptyline (Elavil). Epidural injections or peripheral nerve blocks may be needed in some cases to help relieve sever pain. If you can, find a pain center in your area that has experience treating pain associated with peripheral neuropathy. There are other treatment possibilities too, you can find many of them if you search this forum for “pain”.

• GH
      June 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

My feet hurt all the time. It’s a tingling and burning sensation. But it’s only severy when I am on my feet for a long time. I don’t take anything for it. I just live with it.