Medicinal Marijuana and CBD Treatments

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jim-LA 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

JRHINTZ
    Participant

I live in a state with medicinal marijuana and CBD are legal however GBS isn’t yet on the list of treatable ailments to obtain the products. Who has tried either and what effects both positive and or negative have you experienced? Thank you.

GH
    Participant

Marijuana is not a treatment for GBS. It might make you feel better, but only because it makes everybody feel better.

BoltsFan
    Participant

Medical Marijuana is not prescribed as a treatment per se as it will not cure GBS or CIDP but rather it will help with pain relief. I was diagnosed with CIDP which is similar to GBS and also live in a state where Medical Marijuana is now legal. My neurologist is licensed to prescribe MM and did to help me with my extreme neuropathy. I am taking high-CBD/low-THC drops and it helps more than any other drug that I have been prescribed (Horizant & Cymbalta) while not having the same side effects. The high-CBD quells my pain for up to 3-4 hours and you do not get high, just pain relief. On Horizant and Cymbalta I felt like hell the next day – foggy brained and lack of focus – and it did not help as much as the MM with my pain.

MM is a God-send for me. The U.S. Government also holds a patent (US 6,630,507) on cannabinoids based on their antioxodent and neuroprotectant properties.

drdog
    Participant

Absolutely agree. CBD has a good effect on neuropathies and epileptics. While useful for many other things, this seems to be the best documented. No problem at all getting it set up, and the high CBD is definitely the way to go. I can feel my legs ease and pains subside within minutes of vaping. I use a tincture during the day and it’s been very helpful. If all you get is a feel better effect, than you’re likely using something too high in THC.

Hedley LaMarr
    Participant

I live in New York and it’s legal. You mean that we cannot get it b/c it’s not listed? Why the hell isn’t it? Can you verify that?

Hedley LaMarr
    Participant

I’m considering using it. What is the proper balance. I’m not interested in getting high. I’ll use a martini for that if it’s safe to mix…….?? Do you know? But please tell me the proper mix of CBD and THC. What doses are we talking about? Thank you.

drdog
    Participant

No it won’t cure CIDP but sure deals with the symptoms. Much of the proven work (as best we can guess anyway…) is it’s effect on epilepsy and neuropathies, so worth a try. I can feel the symptoms start to resolve in minutes. A CDB containing creme also works well on isolated areas of itchiness/psoriasis but if it’s a generalized problem best to treat whole body. I use a high CBD tincture during most of the day. Takes about an hour or so to take effect. Vaping works very quickly. So I vape a bit to get to sleep and let the last dose of tincture kick in while I’m (hopefully) sleeping. There is no general dose per se. What works for you. Start low and add…but give the first dose plenty of time to do it’s work or it’s easy to go too high. I know people who use it to treat severe pain like back pain. Doesn’t do anything for me…but for the problems of CIDP it works very well. Find what works for you. May take awhile, but it’s worth it. And no, it’s not just a ‘feel good’ effect. And remember that the parts of the brain that control vital functions like heart rate, breathing, etc. are fairly devoid of cannabinoid receptors. There is no documented case of death by overdose. Opiods are there….and they can kill. Cannabinoids will cause sleep etc. but not much more. 5 Drunk guys will start a fight. 5 Stoned guys will start a band….

Jim-LA
    Participant

This topic was first discussed a few years ago here:
    https://forum.gbs-cidp.org/forums/topic/medical-marijuana-disaster

Most marijuana-based products do not have approval from the FDA and more evidence is necessary to confirm their safety and effectiveness. There is limited research available on the use of specific marijuana strains for pain and other symptoms. As a result, strain-specific recommendations are not medically proven.

Nonetheless, “Indica” is a THC-dominate (TetraHydroCannabinol) strain considered by many as the best choice for medical use. These strains are selected by patients treating pain, depression, anxiety, insomnia, and more. A typical Indica flower will have between 12%-28% THC and 1%-5% CBD. This works out to 120mg-280mg of THC and 10mg-40mg of CBD. If you tend to feel anxious with THC-dominant strains, or dislike other side effects associated with THC, try a strain with higher levels of CBD.

But dosage varies by delivery method (smoking, vaping, edibles, etc.). Edibles get metabolized by the endocannabinoid system way differently so don’t start out with apples to apples dosage from flower to edibles. When it comes to edibles, I would suggest starting with a very low dose, perhaps 2 or 5 milligrams and slowly increase after 1-2 hours. You will need to wait for some time to experience the effects as THC is processed through the liver before it enters your bloodstream.

Following are some recent educational materials and studies about using medical marijuana to treat neurologic pain:
    http://neuropathyjournal.org/medical-cannabis-neuropathic-pain-part-3-3

https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/conditions/chronic-inflammatory-demyelinating-polyneuropathy

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-weed-101-thc-calculator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.