Manager from "Hell"

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 1:05 am

I had GBS since 4/2005. Started working part time since 6/2007. My old boss retired before I came back. The new boss (found out she just turned 62) knows that 99% of the staff hates her guts. She knows it but her defense shield is so strong that it makes “Scrooge” look like amateur. I’m trying to get more hours next year but my co-workers tell me unless she dies suddenly or “Hell freezes over”, my chance are slim to none. The staff is happy when she is on conference meetings, vacations (anything that makes her leave the office), etc. Any suggestions or do you have a boss you don’t care for?

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 7:31 pm

Get hearing aids and make sure you put in dead batteries. It worked great for me during staff meeting. Of course you can always get old broken hearing aids and no one will know the difference. :rolleyes: Just make sure they the old behind the ear ones so that they are obvious to your boss that you are “hard of hearing”.

My daughter who is deaf had a sign on her science fair display that said. “I am hard of hearing, I am not ignoring you.”

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2008 at 1:39 am

Hi-

Thanks for the reply.

I faced alot of road blocks coming back from GBS but this current ordeal is a doozy!

Take care!

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Possibly, you could compliment the boss on her hard work, and ask about her vacations, and suggest other great vacation spots. Tell her that in her type of job, stress is inevitable, and many people need frequent get-aways. (Anonymous travel and vacation brochures could be placed in conspicuous places that the boss is sure to see.) A win-win situation. Good luck!

PS: I had a boss like that once; now I’m self-employed.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 11:30 am

Donna-

Nice to meet you.

It’s hard to smooze w/upper management.

Been working w/the same company the past 20 years.

Found out that I can get along w/anybody until now.

She knows from past experience when a person tries to sugar coat her.

Always have that feeling that good things happen to good people.

I’m on that list.

Take care.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Hi there. Got your reply. One thing I didn’t mention: my suggestion only works when the elements of sincerity and humanity are both present in the situation, sometimes combining in one of life’s small miracles.

Anyway, I wish you all the best as you deal with this. For 22 years, I’ve dealt with the public in my job as a music teacher, and I know what it’s like to have a very difficult student or a very difficult parent to try to work with, sometimes for many years.
      All you can do is your best, and hope that it all works out, and it does, one way or another.

–Donna

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Hi, Years ago, I had been working as a secretary to an attorney for about 10 years when his second wife’s son became an attorney and started working at the office. He had all this schooling, degrees in everything and NO common sense at all. I’m a very easy going person and it takes quite a bit to “get” to me. But this “son” managed it, we clashed a bit. I had a talk with the boss and was told I had to find a way to get along with the “son” because he was staying…meaning if I couldn’t get along I’d be the one to leave. So, I thought about it, discussed it with my mom and she suggested to try and kill him with kindness. I said I’m always kind. She said no, overdo it. So, I did and he hated it and I kept it up. How could the boss fault me for being kind and helpful? The son ended up leaving within the year, lol. And up until GBS, I had 30-1/2 years in. Might be worth a shot? Good luck!

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 1:40 am

Hi Smiley-

Thank you for the suggestion.

Just found out my boss went to the hospital this past Monday. Had food poisoning and will be operated on tommorrow. It felt like a huge mountain have been lifted from my shoulders and there is a small light at the end of the tunnel. I’m not a bad guy though. I plunked in three dollars towards the bouquet of flowers and signed the get well card. Haven’t felt this good since I left the hospital for good in 2006.

Take care!

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 1:54 am

hmmmm..could it be a little dose of his own medicine. Wish we knew a doctor that could keep the boss in the hospital for quite a while so you could have an extra long break..Enjoy it while you can 🙂

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2008 at 10:12 am

Hi Stormy-

Actually my boss is a woman.

The morale in almost the entire office has totally changed (won’t happened for long but seeing smiles and conversations from co-workers and managers alike was a welcome sight).

Rehabbing seems to be better (working towards lifting 50 pounds/job requirement/Got up to 33 pounds as we speak) as extra pressure (mentally) gives the body and soul a true shot of andrenaline to get stronger each and every day.

Take care.