lucky me gbs since 10/07

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2007 at 8:47 pm

I was diagnosed with gbs approx 10/27/07…spent 5 days in the hospital…Thank GOD the Mrs’s stayed with me..Well, right now I’m glad to say I’m home, and can walk, but got a long haul ahead…I’ve been reading your stories and posts (even when in the hospital)…It is very difficult for me to type so I think I’ll save my story for better days ahead/// I think I’ve learned that a [person really needs to appreciate what and who they are, and be thankfull for that…, cause I remember, even though I couldn’t move a muscle on that dreaded hospital bed, I saw so many people, who’s plight was much worse on that dreaded 8th floor neuro/intensive care area.. They didn’;t get me diagnosed right away, but when they did they took great care of me…kudo’s to St Marys of Duluth Minnesota and all the doctors/staff/right down to the janitors! I’m gonna beat this thing, cause I say I am…I hope you all get thru yours..deanop

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2007 at 10:44 pm

You WILL beat it!! You have a great “can-do” attitude! Welcome to our GBS family! We are glad you found us!
      Best Wishes from Iowa….

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Hi Dean, Welcome to The Family! Keep that Attitude!! Good to hear you are home, rest as much as you can, don’t push the recovery process-it doesn’t like to be rushed;) It sounds like You have a Great Mrs!:) Take Care

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2007 at 1:28 pm

I’d bet you would have rather won the lottery? 🙂 You are smart to do research and learn from others afflicted… kudos to the intelligent patient who takes time to learn. Hey, don’t let some of these threads scare you -I believe 75% of those afflicted fully recover without residuals!

The odds are stacked with you, so you may still be a lucky person. Besides, I think GOD likes you, else you would be dead or afflicted with something even nastier 😉 The way I look at it, I was lucky to receive GBS in lieu of some other gift of fate. Perhaps there are greater plans for us to do someone good in the future?

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2007 at 1:49 pm

[SIZE=”3″][/SIZE]Yes, you are going to beat this. What movement do you have?
      Thank heavens for computers and this forum as it is very helpful to one and all.
      will be thinking of you.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2007 at 9:18 pm

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and prayers..I’m getting along pretty good, but nerves and balance are off..It feels like I’m on a ship rocking back and forth! Seems like there’s alot of neuro disease in this part of the country…Turns out my old boss had gbs, my coworker had and passed away from als, and now lucky me… But I’m gonna get thru… winter sure is tough though…take care deanop

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2007 at 8:06 am

Good morning Dean.
      You as I were blessed with a light case of GBS> We both are walking. I got mine a year ago last month from a flu shot. I still carry some numbness in my right foot. I have no pain as others do but I know I got it for a reason. It has made me very humble and to appricate the chance to walk and to have expierenced what it is like to be crippled. going from crawling to the wheelchair and the walker and cane. To expierence how many look at a handycaped person. letting me try to open a door or letting me stand when I was useing a walker. I never see the word luck connected with GBS. We all have and are being blessed in so many ways. I will give back cont every day and share every chance I can of hope and healing. The people here are all angels giveing unconditionally to others. May your holidays be filled with love & happyness and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and give your caregiver a BIG HUG from me (Steve)

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Dean it’s nice to meet you, welcome to our family.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2007 at 6:54 am

I agree and appears to be very similiar life experiences..I guess a person doesn’t realize what they truly are given.. Now everyday is a challenge, and when I do get back to “normal”, whatever that will be, I hope I never forget my 2nd chance..in that sense I consider myself lucky as well…Take it as it comes I guess..take care be well..deanop

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for keeping the positive flow in here…we need to stay on top of our emotions. Not to say we should invalidate them, but feelings aren’t facts!!!!

Peace, Dave

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Hello Dean . Ive had this Gbs for 8 and a half weeks ,and today I walked 25 feet with a cane and 10 feet with no cane . I like you am going to appreciate a second chance to walk.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2007 at 9:30 pm

What a difference a day makes!!!! Every day IS a gift and with it comes a choice. Sounds like you make good choices!!

I was diagnosed after a strep virus in Jan 07 with GBS…then CIDP…now back to GBS????? Whatever the dx….I am on the mend and back to work 2 hours/day with a walker or cane; and I plan on using those only through the winter.

“I can do ALL things……….” Philippians 4:13

Blessings to you,
      Brenda

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 6:09 am

Sounds great Brenda. I don’t know why things happen the way they do, but a positive attitude, patience, and prayer will get you thru.. It sounds like your on the mend, and I guess if a person has this, winter is about as good a time to rehab. as any…, That way come spring you can play.. This morning I got out of bed with a little difficultiy, and some frustration..but I’ve got a lot going for me, and things will get better with time…take care Brenda, and get better..deanop

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 6:59 am

I was wondering if there are any natural foods that encourage new nerve growth,,i.e. like walnuts are supposed to lower chol..Also, I’ve heard that nerves regrow like 1mm per day. How long are nerves supposedly to hands and feet, and How come there isn’t a chart out there that could give you an idea based on your height/wt etc, that you could get an inkling, based on condition..when they say demylinate how far does this go back? Any of you totally lost your reflexes , and got em back? lots of questions, but at 6 in the am what else ya gonna do…How many of you were in intense pain during the gbs in the hospital, and the bed/sheets caused agony like weight on your toes…deanop

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 8:17 am

deanop,

nerve regrowth is not always consistent nor complete so time to recover can’t be acertained. reflexes usually come back. neurontin for pain. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Dean ,I was in the hospital for 5 weeks at U of M. The first two weeks I slept with my shoes on because of the needles.I stil feel the buzz as soon as my feet hit the floor.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      December 11, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Dean my wife is a whole foods vitamin nut. One of her papers has that taking b6 b12, frlic acid, and thiamine(b1) are important to the structural integrity of the fats found in the myelin. Alpa lipoic acid is an approved treatment for polyneuropathies in Germany. Supposebly that one of alpha lipoic acids positive actions is its ability to stimulate the regeneration of nerve fibers. Another nutient is acetyl l-carnitine.
      I dont know about this stuff . I just copied some papers of my wifes.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm

Well, I’m still trying to beat this thing I’ve got…Went in for a ncv/emg test yesterday and results showed worse than first one back in December..I pretty much knew it would be since I have been getting number and had other weakness tingling issues..My question is, what is the best type of ivig type and most effective treatment..Plasmerises (spelling)…Any feedback is helpful..I have been kinda slowly declining since 1/1/07..I came down with this novem 1/06 gbs (they diagnosed)..I’m wondering if the ivig 5 doses didnt totally overwhelm my bad immune guys, and have some residual relapse? I’m not 100% sure they will go with ivig, but almost positive…I see neuro tomorrow regarding results of ncv/emg..
      I’m still trying to stay positive! deanop

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Hi, Dean! Glad to hear from you although I wish the news was better. Been wondering what happened with you.

I have no advice regarding your treatments but will say I’ll keep ya in my prayers for the right treatment and outcome! Best wishes!

Carla

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 1:37 pm

dean,

a worse ncv demands more ivig asap, like yesterday. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• February 12, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Hi Dean,
      You asked if there are better ivig’s than others. Well, as far as I understand, they all have the same basic composition, the immunities. Some sources say 20,000 different donors, others say 5-10,000. The other properties are how the ivig is cleansed, what detergents. Some ivig’s have sucrose, glucose or glycine. Please excuse the spellings. If you have diabetes, it is advised to stay away from the sugar based. Recently, a friend of mine on the site forwarded me some info from gammunex stating that they just completed some phase three trial and the results indicated that they feel their ivig is superior. The next day, my ig living magazine came and there was another company in the magazine kind of stating the same thing about their drug. I guess it in my opinion just boils down to who has the best advertising.

Some ivig does work better for one person than it might for the next person (from a reaction standpoint, unless you are using s/d a powder mixture which does have different IGg levels) The only way to tell which brand works best for you is by paying attention to your reactions and determining if they are bad, then maybe switch. Good luck and be sure to read old posts regarding slow flo rates, pre-meds and hydration to keep the reactions dow.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      February 12, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for thinking about me, and not 100% sure, but will let you know what happens tommorrow…I was trying to find the old posts regarding flo rates, premixed, etc..anyone know where I should search in the posts…
      Funny, initially the ran the ivig pretty fast into me, and from what i read a while back, they are supposed to put it in slowly? deanop

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2008 at 1:46 am

Dean,

Rate of infusion can definetely cause problems. Usually they ramp me up slowly to make sure there aren’t any issues. After you have had it a few times you will know what works best for you. Also for me Gammaguard is the only brand that I don’t have issues with so my Dr. specifies that I must get that only. Everyone is different though and there are issues with IVIG supply all the time. Keep note of your rates and the brand used and any issues you have. When you see your Neuro. next be sure to tell him your experiences.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2008 at 7:30 am

dean,

premed w 2 tylenol & 2 benedryl. infuse at 150 ml/hr max. some say 100 ml/hr.

take care, gene

• Anonymous
      February 18, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Hey Dean. Was wondering how the dr visit went?
      Ron

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2008 at 9:37 am

Hi, just wanted to say I’m getting a lot better since another round of ivig. I had 5 days starting on or around feb 10th..I’ve been hesitant to post until I knew which way things were going for me…I’ve been tracking progress and probably have sort of plateau’d again…I’ll post again with more details in days / weeks to come with changes. Definately the ivig did the trick though..Thank you for replies..deano

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Hey, Dean! I’ve been wondering about you. I heard a little about you through a friend in your neck of the woods but I’d rather hear firsthand from you. Glad the IVIG seems to be helping! I’ll keep a positive thought for you and keep us posted on how you’re doing.