Lower and upper abdomen cramps

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 5:07 pm

I was diagnosed with GBS in January of this year. I am still recovering. I still experience pain, however, it is not a severe as it used to be. My hands are still very numb, burn and ache. My thumbs now snap or get stuck in certain positions. I also get cramping in my mid section. The doctors say they cannot help with my stomach area. I am still using a fentynl patch 25 mg and take neurontin and cymbalta. Most people I speak with do not experience pain. Does anyone share these same symptoms?

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 5:51 pm

When I had my first episode of Guillian-Barre and this relapse I had abdominal pain that was almost unbearable at times with the weakness feeling. However I am receiving treatment and I have not felt that pain since beginning the IVig treament. Oh and I felt belching alot relieved pain for a couple of seconds. Also, did not have a bowel movement for a couple of days before treatment.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 6:04 pm

hi jan & welcome,

pain is prevalent w gbs. how much neurontin do you take? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 6:28 pm

Hi Jan

Most people you have spoken to did not experience pain? Well, phew. do I take the other line! It flipping hurt! Not in my stomach, but in my legs and back.

My stomach was the simplest to deal with cos I ate and I threw up, no problem.

I know I am being flippant, and that’s because I cannot really help you but just to let you know that pain is actually (to my mind) more the norm than the exception.

And Ron, I rather suspect I might have given you a run for your money as regards belching, however I don’t know that it was related to GBS in my case – I have a hiatus hernia apparently, but at one time, for whatever reason, I really annoyed my sister by belching – long and loud.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 8:48 pm

Horrible, horrible pain! cramping and burning in hands, feet, limbs, neck and back – dont remember having that feeling in my stomach though.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 12:53 pm

Horrible pain here as well… increasing Neurontin still but I am feeling relief from when I first started taking it so I think I’m getting close to my maintenance dosage. Days that Neurontin doesnt seem to cut it and I take other medication on those days. I have pain in my quad, hamstrings, calves, back and hips. I sometimes will get pain in my shoulders, neck tricesp and forearms (the entire back of the body and nothing in the front part of the body except for the quads) but luckily my neurontin has helped with a lot of that.

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Hello Jan,

Yes, pain, pain, pain! Mine was in my back, shoulders and hips mainly. I was also told that GBS doesn’t present with pain. Well, the doctors were wrong.

I had bad muscle cramps in my abdomen for awhile while I was recovering. It eventually went away on it’s own. Hope your’s will too.

Best wishes for a good recovery,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 3:49 pm

Jan,

Just one question – are you ‘regular’? Wondering if that is the area (intestines) that you are hurting? If so, I have one answer – metamucil.

When I was first given meds, the doc. also gave me something like pepcid to help the stomach coating while taking our strong drugs.

Edit: OOPS, I went and read your post again and see Cymbalta… please do a search on this forum for that drug. It was total hell for me. So sorry, maybe it is okay with you, but it scares me.

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 1:07 pm

jan, try to get off the fentynl -it caused alot of stomach/intestinal pain for me, stay on neurontin and see how you feel. take care.