Long term macro’s and lack of energy?

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 7:30 am

Have any other long-term macro’s experienced fatigue, lethargy and exhaustion?

Could this be because of a lack of protein in the diet?

I am looking at the work of Michael Tierra, herbologist from the West Coast, and he suggests that the mb diet can lead to these problems.

Any opinions out there?

• Anonymous
      February 15, 2007 at 7:01 pm

Jordan,

While I am sure that protien plays a very important part in the regeneration of the nerves etc. I dont think that is the main cause for the fatigue and exhaustion – I almost dont want to put lethergy into the same category.

I have copied and pasted an exert from ‘Residual effects following Guillain-Barre’ by [I]Gareth J. Parry – Consultant Neurologist Auckland Hospital, Professor of Neurology University of Minnesota.[/I]

I believe that this is the main reason for the fatigue, other reasons do however contribute towards this.

[QUOTE]
      The basis for both of these seemingly minor residual symptoms (fatigue and pain) is probably axonal degeneration. During the acute illness the predominant underlying pathology in most patients is segmental demyelination, a completely reversible phenomenon. However, some degree of axonal degeneration is almost invariable. As recovery occurs function is restored by a number of mechanisms. Axonal regeneration of motor axons probably plays very little role in restoration of function except in the more severe cases. Rather, surviving axons send out small branches called collateral sprouts that restore the nerve supply to those muscle fibers whose nerves have been damaged. This process of collateral sprouting is very effective at restoring strength to a muscle but the efficiency of the muscle suffers – the muscle must work harder to achieve its goals. Thus, fatigue may result even when there appears to be full restoration of strength. On the sensory side, even a small number of damaged sensory axons may be sufficient to generate spontaneous discharges that are registered as pain or discomfort.
      [/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 10:31 am

Marissa,

I’m curious about your GBS story. I see both times you have posted you only speak about B12. I do know that vit. B has helped some of us to some extent. Let us know about your expeirence with the patch.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Is Marrisa a patient or a seller of vitamin B-12?

Are you a doctor or a patient, because in another thread you seemed to have diagnosed someone with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and told them to take B-12.

I would suggest anyone who wants to take any vitamins or supplements speak to their doctor about it.

An overdose of B-12 is a possibilty when someone is looking for a magic bullet in their illness. They might take more then the recommended dosage, figuring it will help them being they are ill with GBS/CIDP and the Chronic Fatigue that does come with having GBS/CIDP.

Always check with the doctor first.

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2007 at 10:19 pm

Hi

I agree with Donna – if you are thinking of taking mega doses of supplements then talk to your doctor.

Vitamins are potent and I no longer believe that simply dosing yourself with them is a good idea. Why? Well, beta carotene can help reduce cancer incidences yet over dosing on it can cause an increase in cancer.

Also, it is thought that if you are going to take a particular vitamin B supplement you are better off taking the family of Vitamin Bs instead of just one of them.

If you don’t know what you are doing regardng vitamin supplements, then don’t do it. Taking supplements is the equivalent of taking drugs – treat it as such.

It’s the same as vitamin C – I would take it whilst having a cold etc is but I would not advocate taking it every day as it could be counter-productive – and that’s the opinion of a smoker whose Vit C level is probably zero.

Donna – well spotted!

God bless

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 12:15 am

I take vitamins now but I’m going to give up. My weight has increase since I taking them. And would like to know what’s good out there to take. I have a lot fatigue after I do some walking in the morning.