Just Need Positive Thoughts – Life Is Crazy

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Okay, lots of you may remember my posts about my heavy gang ridden school full of drug dealers who don’t want to learn Biology – and my concern that I will be able to pull off the huge job of teaching high school again. Well, Tucson school district is in a downward spiral and closing schools left and right. Mine is on the list for “discussion”, which means it will probably close in another year. Hubby teaches alternative ed, and the district is making great noise about eliminating the entire program. (guess the drop outs who want to come back, the girls who are mothers and the others who are about to drop out because they don’t fit in don’t matter anymore!)

Anyway, hubby and I began to look throughout Arizona for other school districts that needed science and alt. ed – and actually had the opportunity to choose.

We are headed to Bisbee (check it out on the net). It is a very caring community – maybe all the fading hippies, the artists, the varying lifestyles have all combined to make it that way, or maybe it is still “small town”. But as we sit and sip coffee on the patio of the only coffee shop in town people come up to us and engage us in conversation. The job interviews were conversations, too. The realtor who helped us find a rental that had to be available in 2 weeks was wonderful.

So, we are moving to a home built in 1906 on the side of a mountain with a breathtaking view. Hubby will be in charge of the entire alt ed program, and expected to expand it. I will be teaching jr. high science – with no class larger than 25. (TUSD promissed 38 to 40 this year) Life is great – except –

We are trying to pull off the move in a total of 3 weeks. Have to sort through 30 years of accumliated stuff, downsize from a 5 br to a 2 br house – and all our help has disappeared in a puff – – -. So, we are doing the lions share ourselves, with financial help from my mom for the final move, next Monday. We arrive in Bisbee on the 27th and begin teaching on Aug 4th. Ah, but on top of all this – Bisbee has a 4 DAY school week! If I survive the move I’ll love the job! 🙂

So, my friends – think good thoughs for me. 7 months ago only 3 fingers moved – now my whole life is moving! There is life after GBS, and I pray I will find it on my porch with a fablous view of the Mule Mountain range, the Peace wall, and Mexico in the distance. I’ll write when we’ve finished the move – but please share my joy in this new adventure.

• July 23, 2010 at 4:57 am

Hi Cathie,
      Many prayers and positive thoughts for you and hubby and your new home.
      I have a feeling that this move may be the best thing that could have happened.
      Your enthusiasm is contagious and I can’t wait for updates.

• July 23, 2010 at 7:09 am

Right on Cathie! This new gig sounds great! I hope your move gos well, downsizing can be very ‘theraputic’.

I tach as well, but its gr 8 math, english and music. I have be given the greenlight to stay off work until jan. and am anxious about returning. the pace will be a challenge.

i will follow this thread with great interest!

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2010 at 9:37 am

Hi Cathie……that is really exciting news about the teaching jobs……more security, smaller class size, 4 day work week……your guardian angel must have been working overtime!! You both must be very pleased with what’s happening in your lives.
      I know that moving can be a stressful time, but it is an elective roller coaster ride that will bring so many positive variables into your lives. (Not like the GBS coaster ride). Enjoy and savor every moment.
      Wishing you all the best and may good things continue to happen in your life…:D

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2010 at 10:01 am

Cathie,

Great news. I am sooo happy for you after all you have been through. Good luck with the move and the new jobs. You deserve it.

Jessica

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2010 at 12:59 am

Thank you all for your well wishes and support. Although the post was not really about dealing with GBS it was about dealing with life. And I hope the new job, the new community, the new house on the mountaiside – all will be good for hubby and me. I’ll let you know how I survive.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Cathie, all my best thoughts and prayers for you. We wish you continued improvement and success. We will continue to offer our prayers for you. God Bless
      Pat G

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2010 at 10:51 am

Cathie,
      As a former middle school teacher, Gifted Science/Math, I am so happy to hear that you seem to be moving in the right direction. When all of the pieces seem to be falling together, it is the right move. Your optomism will be good for your healing process. Just take it easy on the moving…don’t overdo it. They say that we all need three things to be happy: something to do, someone to love, something to hope for. You seem to have gotten all three!!

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Cathy,

Great news about the new jobs, my prayers go with you and your husband. I taught middle school science and math for 10 years after retiring from the military. I loved every minute of it but I finally had to stop.

I think both of you will enjoy your new jobs. Just relax and don’t get too uptight about moving. With the many moves in the military my wife and I came up with a scheme that has worked for us. Each time we move we unusually have too much “stuff” so we came up with this plan. First we separate the “household” items that we need [ie washer, dryer, TV etc]. After getting ride of our “junk” we divided our personal items into two groups; those things that we feels we just had to keep and those things that we want to keep but we would be too upset if they got lost. Carolyn would go through my second “stack” and pulls out the items that she felt had “family” value and the rest went. and I would do the same with her second stack. It actually worked because in 25 years of globe trotting we accumulated a lot of really good “junk” and we could never carry it all to the next assignment. The kids were a different story, but there is no need to go into that now.

Good luck and God Bless