Just in time

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2006 at 10:25 pm

Finally it’s back up.

I’ve VERY close to going to the ER due to numbness and other problems.

I started having problems about 2 weeks ago but believed it to be just risiduals. Now that I have the tingeling in my lips and occasional times of having problems breathing I’m getting the paperwork in order.

Of course with “my” hospital being one of the few open in the New Orleans area it’s going to be great fun just with the ER experience.

Since I was out for my spinal tap the first time ( wow, almost 2 years ago ) do they give you a local before the spinal tap or do they just go for the juice.

Well, I’ve missed this forum so much over the past month that I can hardly believe thats it ‘s here now…………

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2006 at 10:37 pm

Dear Mike:

I am so sorry to hear you are having problems. Please know that you will be in our prayers.

I never had anything to numb me up before a spinal tap. The spinal tap can leak which causes excruciating headaches because it lowers the pressure of the cerebral spinal fluid. If you can lay on your back for a day or two, the leak can heal. If that doesn’t help, the doctor can plug the leak with a blood bandage. Ask the doctor to circle the puncture hole with a pen so that if it does leak, it will be easier for the doctor to locate the original puncture.

Take care of your self, my friend.

Lee

• May 6, 2006 at 2:51 pm

Hi Mike,

My only spinal tap was in 2000. I did get some sort of skin numbing shot before the doctor took the sample. The needle used to get spinal fluid is extraordinarily thin and probably doesn’t hurt much when it goes through the skin – but my neurologist knows I am a big cry baby.

I had my tap done in a seated, hunched over position – leaning into a very solid nurse. Then I lay flat on the gurney on my tummy for an hour – billed by the hospital to the insurance company of course. The nurse brought me apple juice and kept an eye on my husband who is a fainter but insisted on being there for me.

After a wheel chair trip to the front door my husband drove me home in as reclined a position as possible in our compact car. I obediently spent the next 24 hours lying flat as much as possible. I did not have trouble with the headache.

I hope this helps,
      Flossie
      CIDP

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 3:35 pm

Hi Mike,
      My spinal tap (1999) was what diagnosed me. I don’t remember whether I had a local, but I do know it didn’t hurt me at all. I was told to lay flat for several hours to avoid a headache (didn’t get one) and I remember they wanted me to eat, try eating when you know you must lay flat on your back.
      We’re coming back now, we’re here to help.
      Liz

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 3:52 pm

In addition to the spinal tap I had an EMG. Both together confirmed the CIDP diagnosis last fall. Getting the electrical shocks on different parts of the legs for half an hour wasn’t very pleasant but tolerable. And I was so afraid of the spinal tap . I did get a local. The neuro said she was using a very thin needle and because of that it would take longer. I had to lay on my side on a guerney with my legs pulled up to my chest. Boy, was I ever so tense. It turned out to be “nothing”. I had no pain whatsoever during or after the procedure. I got up after a short while afterwards and went home.

BTW, doctors call it LP or lumbar puncture among each other. I learned that from my daughter who this month is finishing her first resident year in emergency medicine in Denver . Very helpful to have around but sometimes also a pain in the butt because she likes to point out all the bad stuff that can happen. We spend half of our time at her house helping out with her baby, now 1 year old. Lots of fun.

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 3:58 pm

Mike when I had mines done it wasn’t that bad. I just layed in the bed/gurney for about 45min. before I left. I had my brother drive me there and back. Make sure you have a way to get home. I don’t think you are suppose to drive if you do drive that is.

Sue

• May 6, 2006 at 4:59 pm

Mike, it has been 12 years but I don’t remember a shot or anything nor do I remember any pain either time (2 times in a row as the first time he missed.) but did lie flat for an hour. No headache etc. Good luck!:) 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 5:04 pm

Mike,

I had three Lumbar Punctures Nov-Dec 05 and they never used a local. I just had to curl up with my knees to my chest and they were really quick. I only had a mild headache with the last one. They just told me to lie still for about 45-60 minutes and that did the trick.

I am sorry that you are experiencing these problems. Don’t wait until it gets really bad before you go to the ER.

I will keep you in my prayers,

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 6:52 pm

Mike,

Just wanted to say it’s good to see you here, but sorry your having problems. I hope that you are able to get a handle on what is going on and get some IVIG or whatever is needed.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 8:45 pm

Hi Mike,

I hope you will know soon. I am experiencing a little more numbness today but trying to not think about it and rest more. I sure do not want to return to what I experienced. Let us know ASAP. You’re in my prayers.

Caroline

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 9:04 pm

Mike…

I’m sorry to hear that you need to go the ER again… I am just wondering why you need another spinal puncture if you have already been diagnosed…??? Hoping all the best for you… 🙂

Aimee

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2006 at 10:18 pm

Mike,
      Along with all the others, I had no problem with my spinal tap. No pain, no headache. I was made to lie on my back for 2 hours. Fortunately I had taken some crackers and a bananna with me to the E R. I had a C T scan done that day also, and a M R I the next day. That was in 02. I have still got numb feet. I will pray for you Mike.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2006 at 1:31 pm

Hi Mike,

So sorry you are having problems again. Hope everything works out for you. Let us all know what happens.

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2006 at 10:43 pm

My spinal tap was cake.

Everyone I had talked to had warned me that it could be painful.

However, the doc was really really good, and I seriously didn’t even know they even did it.
      I was like “Woah, we are already done? That was nothing!”.

The only thing that sucked, was that I had to lay flat for like an hour there before they would let me go, plus they made you stay flat for like the next 24 hours or so.

Scott

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2006 at 1:45 pm

I went with a friend to do the driving. I was laying face down on the table with my shirt up and pants pulled down-why not give me a gown????
      It was okay-after all I’ve been through. I laid down all day later and no headache. Was told to call immediately if I felt really crummy. I did raise my head to see what the radiologist looked like as I was undressed and wondered who was going to be seeing me like that.
      Yes, I got juice later also.

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2006 at 5:17 pm

HI Mike,

So sorry to hear of your problems.

About the spinal tap – [B]ASK[/B] for numbing! It hurts more without it. I didn’t have numbing and the doc had to puncture me twice – no fun.

[U]Very important [/U]to lie FLAT, don’t raise your head for a least one hour after the test. Make sure your doctor arranges for this in advance, because you don’t want to be moved after the test.

Worst of all, they did the test with me in the seated possition, and then had me walk over to take the sample to the lab. The lab tech was appalled that the doc had not kept me lying down.

I got the most God awful, kick a** headache that lasted for 3 days. No drugs would relieve the pain. No everyone gets the headache, but, believe me, it’s not worth taking the chance.

P.S. The test my not show elevated protein levels. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t have GBS. This how it went with my test, but I was eventually diagonsed with GBS anyway.

Good luck.