IVIG Pre-Treatment

• Anonymous
      February 13, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Hey Gang,

I’m a new member to the forum. Perhaps my first experience with IVIG – which failed – can be helpful to someone.

I was dx’d with CIDP in November 2008 and underwent IVIG the first time in early December 2008. I suffered a severe aseptic meningitis reaction after the second dose. IVIG was stopped, causing me to fear that I wouldn’t be able to undergo IVIG again.

Two weeks later, my neuro decided to pre-treat me for two days prior to infusion with 60 mg prednisone, scaling down the dosage by 10 mg each day of infusion. This pre-treatment, combined with a lot of water intake, allowed me to survive the five days of infusion without any adverse reaction. I successfully completed IVIG infusion on Christmas Eve. My pain was relieved within 2 days. Best Christmas gift ever.

I’ve now passed fifty days and, with the exception of those ugly eczema rashes, I’ve got no symptoms. Plus, I’m walking almost normally again. I don’t know how long this remission will last, but at least I know that pre-treatment will make the next IVIG infusion easier.

Hope this helps.:)

Paul aka “Pablo”

• Anonymous
      February 14, 2009 at 5:38 pm

can put you off, can’t they?

Isn’t walking ‘normally’ again a wonderful thing!

Keep at it! Hoping it works and keeps on working!

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Pablo,
      Congrats on being able to walk normally again. I’m just curious are you not getting IVIG anymore? You said you were out 50 days already. Are they just waiting for you to relaspe before you get it again? Are you getting any meds to treat the CIDP?

• February 16, 2009 at 3:20 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm

JanB,

We’re waiting to find out how long I can go before the dreaded relapse; no one knows how long that will be. The only med I’m taking is 600 mg neurontin to block the tingling in my feet so that I can sleep.

Paul

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Dawn Kevies mom,

I have CIDP. Started in my lower back and traveled to my legs.

Paul