ivIG allergic reaction

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hi – I’m new to this game. I was diagnosed toward the end of September, went on ivIG for a week in hospital, and am now home. Walking OK, but feet still wooden and both hands are numb, but oddly sensitive to anything with edges. I began breaking out with a rash after a second ivIG treatment several weeks ago. No other symptoms, but itches badly. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Also, I have very numb hands with extreme weakness in fingers. I’ve noticed that most people who post here remark that their feet are numb after they begin mending, but I have not read about anyone who still has no feeling/strength in their hands. I can type after a fashion, but cannot feel the keyboard . . .

I feel very lucky that I am recovering relatively quickly and even luckier to have found a forum where most people are far more experienced than I am in the slings and arrows of outrageous GBS.

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Did you take Benadryl during your IVIG?

I take mine for 2 days after IVIG and it has helped.

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Hi Took,

I had serious skin peeling on my arms after a week of IVIG treatments. Sounds different from your experience but BE CAREFUL, as my condition indicated a LIFE THREATENING allergy to the treatments.

Good luck,
      Ubbietom

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for the response. I did take Benedryl and now am taking Clariten daily. Still have rash over whole body for three weeks. From what I have been able to find out online, the ivig reactions are temporary. So his is something else. I was on prednisone for about 10 days and that helped some, but now its back. It is off to the doctors again . . .

• November 24, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I had a severe case in March 2010. I had 7 rounds of IVIG and got the itchy rash after my last 2. (I had also taken Benyadryl) I went to the derm and they gave me some creams to help. It’s mostly gone now.

I had numbness in my hands and feet for a long time. I wasn’t able to type or feel the keyboard for weeks. It will come back slowly. GBS effects everyone differently. Good luck!