interesting….

• November 7, 2006 at 3:02 pm

“This rare illness strikes between [B]two and eight people in every 100,000 [/B]irrespective of gender or age, although it is more common in the 30 to 50 years age group. Other names for Guillain-Barrè syndrome include acute idiopathic polyneuritis, acute idiopathic polyradiculoneuritis and Landry’s ascending paralysis.”

the date on the article is 5-31-2005 as last reviewed, but the “rarity” of GBS is increased from 1-3 to 2-8 in this article. I hadnt read that anywhere before and just thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

Maybe the stats are different in Wales. I know that the incidence of GBS in parts of China are large.

[url]http://www.disability.vic.gov.au/dsonline/dsarticles.nsf/pages/Guillain-Barre_syndrome?OpenDocument[/url]

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 5:28 pm

f-o-m.

I first heard about GBS many years ago when the mother of a friend was diagnosed with “French Polio.” Anyone ever heard of it by that name?

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 5:29 pm

Thanks for this update. I have always believed that the numbers are greater that previously stated. In reading the forums, we know that there are many cases undiagnosed/misdiagnosed. For some, it’s rather like a small ‘bump in the road’ and they recover and ‘never remember’. And then there is the rest of us, many who have had to ‘fight’ for diagnoses and treatment. We must continue to “get the word out”.

• November 7, 2006 at 7:50 pm

[QUOTE=vmac]f-o-m.

I first heard about GBS many years ago when the mother of a friend was diagnosed with “French Polio.” Anyone ever heard of it by that name?[/QUOTE]
      I just did a search for French Polio and GBS came up with french polio as a name variation. Another interesting tidbit of info.

Guillain-Barr syndrome (ge-yan_bar-ra_) A relatively rare disease affecting the peripheral nervous system, especially the spinal nerves, but also the cranial nerves. The cause is unknown, but it most often occurs after an influenza infection or flu vaccination. Also called French Polio.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 7:53 pm

gbs is named after the 2 french docs who discovered it. actually there are 3, but 1 got lost with time. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 3:37 am

that thread you posted is actually an Australian one (it mentions New South Wales further down – that is just a state of Aus) and from what i have read on other Australian sites the figure is still 1-2 in 100,000. Noth that it means much – i live in a town of 10,000 and i was the second person diagnosed in the space of a couple of months!

• November 23, 2006 at 3:31 pm

When I was in the hospital with GBS in ’79 I talked to another GBS’er who, by his figuring, was on his third round with GBS. He was in his mid-thirties at the time. He figured his first round was as a pre-teen. At that time he was diagnosed with mono. I don’t recall if he had a proper diagnosis on the second round but, they did get it right on round three. He said it felt the same all three times, with the exception of increased severity each time.