Info

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 12:19 am

Why isn’t there more info out there about this disease, it is as bad, if not worse than many cancers. What can we do as patients to educate docs, and the lay man about CIDP/GBS? My town is going to do a fund raiser to benefit CIDP research….who or what is the best contact for such matters?

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 12:50 am

It’s all about the numbers game… How many people do you know who have had cancer, or know someone that does? Or MS? Or MD? Now here you have an illness that strikes 1-2 per 100,000 per year, not much interest there. They call these types of syndromes “orphan diseases.”

• January 30, 2010 at 10:55 am

Regarding the numbers game. I think last year there was an article in IG Living magazine stating that there are more people with autoimmune issues than cancer and heart disease combined. (not seperating the different types of autoimmune, such as cidp, ms, etc.) So I too wonder why there is not more research, especially since so many autoimmunes lead to cancer.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 11:23 am

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]So I too wonder why there is not more research, especially since so many autoimmunes lead to cancer. Dawn Kevies mom[/QUOTE]

[I][COLOR=”Navy”]And so many cancers lead to autoimmune responses … me, my across-the-street neighbor, the gal living a half block away …[/COLOR][/I]

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I agree with Rocky…my mom had colon cancer at 50. It was only after that that her RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) was triggered.

If the auto-immune diseases were all lumped into one category, a lot of eyes would be opened!!

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 2:59 pm

[QUOTE=Elmo]If the auto-immune diseases were all lumped into one category, a lot of eyes would be opened!![/QUOTE]

[I]IF ONLY … !!! And there’d be adequate research and treatment as well.[/I]