I want my hands back

• July 3, 2010 at 6:07 am

Hello all

More than anything that I have lost here, the use of my hands is the hardest. Though they are loosening up, they remain useless for so many things, most annoying being able to touch.

Does anyboy have a physio tip for returning hand srength and sensation? Any meds or creams help?

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2010 at 7:03 am

Morning, I did find that soaking my hands and feet in warm water followed by hand cream made my hands and feet feel better. Do not know if it speed things up but it became one of those little joys and something to do between naps. I did do a lot of hand exercises using a silly puddy like substance that my OT gave me. Would squeeze, pull, ball and stretch. I know this did a lot for helping strength of fingers.
      Harry

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2010 at 11:58 am

Welcome….. Northern Guitar Guy,

I hope this day is finding you well……I have been reading some of your posts and have decided to put my 2 cents in.

One of the things that you need to keep in mind is that your GBS is unique to yourself. Many will share on this website the things that have helped them…..some suggestions may help you, others may not. There is a certain amount of acceptance that you need to come to grips with. Acknowledging that you are not the person you once were, is a part of that acceptance. Understand that it does not mean you can’t get back to your old self….something all GBS sufferers strive for….but today you are in a different place. Realize that to move forward will take much time and patience…..more than you are used to.

As regards your numbness, any good occupational therapist can give you practical tips on regaining strength…..it is a very gradual process, as the myelin sheath that was “attacked” is generally slow to repair. I can tell you in my case, that once I began to feel the numbness leave my hands, it took about 4-5 months to feel fairly normal. I did not take any medications to alleviate the symptoms……

As regards your employment and how active you were pre GBS…..that is something most of us had to deal with as a part of recovery…..In your case of teaching, I might suggest that you look into the possibility of a sabbatical or medical leave…..that would take a lot of pressure off your shoulders and allow more time to heal.

It is natural for some people to be ignorant of the effects of GBS…..I wouldn’t take it to heart…..let go of those types of people…let their comments go in one ear and out the other, and bounce off the wall if need be. Don’t allow your recovery to be distracted…..find something positive in each day.

There is no magic pill, no panacea, to getting better. It won’t be easy, but you need to think in terms of weeks and months not psychoanalyze or obsess over each day. Push forward, but always allow time for plenty of rest. I can’t emphasize too much how patient you must be, but over time good things will happen. A year ago I was in a wheelchair….yesterday I bought a Harley motorcycle……something I would not have dreamed possible.

Surround yourself with positive people and influences. Focus on the long term and stay upbeat. Wishing you the best……………

• July 3, 2010 at 12:31 pm

[QUOTE]There is no magic pill, no panacea, to getting better. It won’t be easy, but you need to think in terms of weeks and months not psychoanalyze or obsess over each day. Push forward, but always allow time for plenty of rest. I can’t emphasize too much how patient you must be, but over time good things will happen. A year ago I was in a wheelchair….yesterday I bought a Harley motorcycle……something I would not have dreamed possible. [/QUOTE]

Thanks Tom. I’ll admit that patientce is work, and positive thoughts do not always rule….but generally, they do.

I do not hate the pain as much as loosing my abilities. However, you being able to ride a hog is inspiring. I believe that I will get there. I have come to appreciate so much that I have taken for granted. I look back on days when I complained about my job, was impatient with my kids, didn’t recognize how important my wife is, gave up on learning a solo, got ticked-off by superfluous things …..I have certainly come to understand the importance of my family and fortune in a more profound and deep manner.

I have to look at how I am able to walk again (even if it aint pretty), was able to fold clothes today, can write e-mails, shave myself….so much that gets lost at times when I miss little things such as feeling my wife’s hand, helping my boys get uo on two wheels, riffing on my Les Paul, swimming the length of a pool, being able to read properly and more.

I hope that this new-found appreciation for life lasts past and pushes my recovery.