Hot Tubs Helpful?

• Anonymous
      July 8, 2006 at 10:36 pm

I am thinking about purchasing a hot tub to help alleviate the muscle fatigue from GBS. Does anyone have a hot tub and do you recommend it to be helpful?

Thanks.
      Laura

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 4:56 am

Hi Laura,

In my humble opinion, hot tubs are good for ANY ailment!!!:)

And, in regards to your “lottery” remark (inre. to the “odds” of getting GBS)…………………the first thing a coworker said to me while visiting at hospital was ……” with this “luck” of yours, do you want me to make a bet for you at the horse track?”;) Yeh, I thought, very funny…….NOT…. at the time in ICC!!!:rolleyes:

Take care,

Perry

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2006 at 11:00 pm

Because of the numbness etc in my lower extremities, a dip in the hot tub is very painful for me. You may want to make sure you can handle the heat ok just to be sure.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 1:15 am

hot tubs are great for people who DON’T have gbs! i was in one in may, i made it home, 1 1/2 hour drive, just to lay down because i was super exhausted, and went paralyzed for the 4th time! i love hot tubs and that taught me a big lesson—the warning on them about-don’t use if you have neurological problems are there for a very good reason.
      after my 10 mins of being in the swimming pool doing very little other then floating around and kicking every so often, i went over to the hot tub and sat with my hubby for 5 mins. after 4 mins i was ohhh sooo relaxed, my hubby had to literally pick me up off the deck after he dragged my bum up the steps, just to get me out of it. this happened up in michigan at a hotel, 1 1/2 hours from my home. as soon as i got home i laid down for a nap and woke up paralyzed head to toes, even eyelids.
      i would check with your neuro first or go to a hotel and try it for a night. take care.:)

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 6:20 am

I agree with the others I think you should consult your doctor. I go into the water classes to keep the weight off my joints. This pool is 85 degrees and if I do a slow class I get cold. I can go into the rehab pool where the water is 95 and I don’t get chilled but I feel like a wet cooked noodle after a class done in there which is usually 45 minutes long. Stretching, balance, range of motion all benefit. I come home and sleep for a few hours after class. I tried the hot tub which is kept at 104 degrees and after 4 or 5 minutes I started to tingle from head to toe and I knew it was not normal and I got out of the water immediately. I will not return. I am sensetive to warmer water in the shower also. Heat is not my friend but keeing moving in the other pools has kept my arthritis in check. You might want to try a hot tub in advance to see if you can tolerate it before you make the investment.:cool:

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 10:33 am

Laura ~ I have never felt that a hot tub was a “good for your health” Rx. You are actually sitting in a tub of chemicals, letting them soak thru the skin and into the rest of your body. Then the body has to figure out some way to get rid of those toxins. Thru the years I have had many epsome salts hot water baths. Epsome salts are helpful to healing as it encourages the body to release toxins, not absorb more! And, by using your bath tub the water is changed every time.
      This is actually a pretty “hot” topic! Thanks for your question:)

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 10:54 am

Laura,

I used to LOVE hot tubs before GBS… but now, no way. I am even careful to not get my shower too hot. My neuro told me no on the hot tub years ago. And it sounds like most others agree. Darn it 🙁

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2006 at 11:33 am

Hot tub can be tooo hot t handle foor some.

Warm tub may be good.

Myelin does nt like the heat.

• Anonymous
      December 25, 2011 at 11:00 pm

We have a hot tub and using it in the winter is my favorite of past time. I am post GBS x 11 weeks. Although it is too soon for me to use one I feel the desire to try it soon. Is there any tub owners out there and how well did you tolerate it?

• December 26, 2011 at 5:04 pm

While I used to enjoy the relaxation that comes along with a hot tub, I discovered years ago that heat from any source makes me very sick. The summers here in TX are torturous for me, and, therefore, spent indoors. Vacations are always taken in the winter for the same reason. And hot showers I avoid at all cost.

I never associated this problem with CIDP until relatively recently when I read someone else on this forum mention the same issues with heat. The more I read here; the more I understand my symptoms, and am able to piece together this disease.

Love this topic. Thanks!!!

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hot water in the shower does’nt seem to bother me. When ever I feel my body is ready I will take it slow just putting my legs in and see how it goes.

Sure hope I can tolerate it. Its a whole lot of money just sitting there.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I have a hot tub and use it lots. Just keep the temp down not really hot.

Sometimes I can not handle the jets on as this causes pain.

Sometimes you can get a doctor prescription to help cover the cost if you can prove you need it for your condition!

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2012 at 1:02 am

I love the hot tub, however, I am careful. The hot tub relieves the muscle pain.