Help! My hair is falling out!

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Hi All, I’m new to this forum and to GBS. I was diagnosed in April of this year after falling in my home and not being able to get up. Fortunatly, my doctor called in a neuroligist who diagnosed me within 48 hrs and had me in ICU getting IV/IG that night. I spent 5 weeks in the hospital/rehab and have had about 11 weeks of outpatient PT since coming home in late May. I’m walking without a walker and recently got rid of the cane. I still have numbness and tingling in my lower legs but the doctor says I’m about 90% recovered at this time but wants me to continue with PT a while longer.
      My biggest concern at the moment is that my hair is falling out at an alarming rate (my hairdresser says I’ve lost about 1/3 of my hair’s volume is about 4 months). Can any one tell me if this could be a side effect of GBS or perhaps it’s from the new meds my doctor put me on while I was in the hospital. I am so happy to find all of you as a resource to learn more about GBS. I was so surprised at how few people can give me info or had even heard of GBS.

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2007 at 2:01 pm

What meds are you taking? GBS is not a cause in itself for losing your hair. Sometimes stress of illness can also cause it….not eating well, not sleeping enough to provide rest as well as certain drugs.

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, Jan
      My doctor put me on 2 blood pressure meds, Diovan and Toporol and cholesterol med, Vytorin, Neurontin, and B-Complex. I guess I should have my doctor change these one at a time to see if my hair loss gets better but I wanted to rule out GBS before I contacted him.

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 3:09 pm

I believe that anything that causes stress can make your hair fall out. Peronally my hair has been like He—-ll since GBS took over. I am 7 years post and my hair is finally starting to come back. My hairdresser swears that it all happened because of my illlness. She noticed a big difference post GBS.Well it might be 7 years later but I’m finally getting it back. I hope it doesn’t take that long for you. Good luck!!!!! xoxoxoxoxo Roxie

• Anonymous
      October 12, 2007 at 9:22 pm

I lost a lot of my hair when I was in the hospital, and when I came home it was still falling out. I don’t think it was the medicine, just effects from GBS, but that’s my opinion. In time it stopped falling out and now it is thick like it used to b

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2007 at 3:57 pm

Heka, Im sorry about your hairloss, I hope that as you recover it will return as Pep’s did. My hair went from sandy blond to dark brown over the 3 months in hospital 😮 .

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2007 at 2:26 am

Heka, just wondering if you have had your thyroid tested, along with the free t4, tsh ect. Thyroid problems can cause hairloss. Been there for over 10 years myself, has slowed just a smidge, but I’m still loosing it. Good news is it will more than likely come back once the problem is detected. Meds don’t cause the hair to fall out, its the bodies reaction to the med or change in the system that does it. stay on your meds as perscribed. Just worrying can cause hair to fall out also-control your stress and be happy.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 11:08 am

Heka, you are under severe stress right now and as all of us know stress does strange things. GBS as you know also affects your nerves and could possibly effect your hair IMO. Alot of unknowns.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement from all. There is just so much info to process with GBS. I have noticed also, that my eyesight has been affected, I think. When I’m reading, the words seem to blur and then become clear again. It’s really annoying. I spoke to my eye doc and he said it’s a nerve problem. Big surprise, huh?
      Again, thanks…it’s good to hear from others who have gone through this and have come out the other side.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 3:46 pm

I have the same problems including hair eyes pain dizziness weight gain etc. i t has been explained that once you get an autoimmune disorder it is like a vicious cycle it kicks off another and another i am now being treated for my thyroid hair is getting much better and some energy is back so maybe we are taking baby steps forward. weight gain the same but hmm little bit at time. the pain is terrible in my legs lower back etc. I am trying to get into a exercise program that I can handle but the pain is unbearable. so until we can get that part under control again than we will take this all one day at a time. but don’t be afraid to ask about your thyroid and other auto immune diseases.. good luck:)

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2008 at 10:38 am

My mom was diagnosed Thanksgiving and still in ICU with barely any mouth movement (on vent and feeding tube). I noticed in last couple weeks her hair is falling out (she always had thick salt n pepper gray hair). I think it is either side effect of GBS (or meds thereof?) or just stress. I only hope she does not go bald, she will be so upset. Thanks for posting this in the forum. It is nice to know that others have suffered from hair loss yet nobody seems to mention going completely bald. That is a small comfort amid this chaos. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      January 6, 2008 at 8:54 pm

the hair loss is due to gbs. as w her other probs, they will eventually go away or minimize. this could take months or years. gbs stands for Get Better Slowly. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2008 at 3:21 am

Ditto, Gene! Also, is your mom on a chemo drug to suppress her immune system? Do come back and ask more questions as there is always someone who has some insight.

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2008 at 7:20 am

I’ve lost at least half the volume of my hair, which by the way is down past my rear end. You cannot imagine the huge hairballs clogging the drain when I wash my hair. The nurses noticed it first in the hospital and it has continued for the past year and a half or so with no signs of slowing. I guess at some point I’ll start weaving the bottom up to cover the bald spots on the top. 😮 On the flip side – I don’t have to shave my legs nearly as often because that hair doesn’t grow/falls out too.

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2008 at 9:34 am

I don’t think she is on any chemo drugs to suppress immune system (at least not when I came home last week). I will have to check again when I call my sister today and check on how she is doing.

As to hair loss, the loss of leg or armpit hair is a blessing!! It’s the hair on the head I am concerned with. I only hope she keeps enough to look “normal” when she gets to the point of seeing herself in a mirror again. Mom is not vain by a long shot, however the thought of looking at yourself bald would be traumatic and she has suffered enough of that the last 6 weeks.

• August 12, 2014 at 6:54 am

Physically, the first method in combating hair loss is to address the body’s dietetic needs. In several cases, the hair loss stems from an offensive diet, lack of physical activity etc. Wash your hair at least every 3 days with a temperate hair cleanser or shampoo to eliminate all accumulated dust, dirt, oil and bacterial build up.