Health Insurance Changes

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2013 at 4:03 am

My NC State Employees Health Insurance (Blue Cross) is changing me over to a Medicare type policy. I already have Medicare as my primary coverage but the Blue Cross as secondary coverage is currently paying for my IVIG infusions. Got a basic brochure saying you have two polices to choose from (calling them “Medicare Advantage”) and if you don’t pick one before October 31 then we’ll assign you one. The choices are Humana and United Health policies with no info on about treating CIDP or frequently of IVIG treatments. Supposively they will be very similar to Medicare?

I called the IVIG supply company that has been sending the IVIG with home health infusion nurse to my home for 6 years and they are clueless right now about this situation.

Was wondering how the rest of you are handling these upcoming insurance coverage changes and may know more than me? How with this affect receiving IVIG and for having it at home? Will this really be 2 Medicare health polices back to back and give us the help we need treating CIDP?

• GH
      September 21, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I have no experience with these companies, but have Medicare and a supplementary plan. My supplementary plan covers anything that Medicare covers, and pays the part not covered when Medicare does not pay the full amount. A policy of this type would pay the balance of IvIg treatments if Medicare paid part of it. I signed up for the maximum supplemental plan with Blue Shield of California, because I had Blue Shield before going on Medicare and they took good care of me.

Best to study the plan descriptions and ask questions of the plans’ representatives. You might also look into alternatives. You should be able to pick any supplemental plan if you are retired and paying for it yourself. If you have a group which is paying for it, then I suppose you must take what they offer.

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm

GH,

I do have Medicare as my primary and guess soon either Humana or United Health Care as my secondary (not longer having BCBS). Both are offering a more pricey Plus Policy for extra coverage and I’ll definitely go for that. For many years as a working and retired State Employee I got wonderful health coverage through my state’s BCBS plan. I need to know if I can still have my IVIG infusions as needed at home like I’ve had for many years and not be penalized financially for having a catastrophic illness (CIDP).

Here’s to reading today’s just arrived package of info.

Thank you for replying to my thread.

• September 22, 2013 at 3:54 am

If you live in California you should read this recent LA Times article about the insurance changes going into effect next month: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-insure-doctor-networks-20130915,0,2814725.story I don’t know if NY insurance companies are up to the same tricks, but probably so.

Medicare Advantage Plans are discussed here in some detail: http://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/medicare-health-plans/medicare-advantage-plans/medicare-advantage-plans.html

I have Medicare as my primary carrier and Anthem Blue Cross PPO (ABC) as my secondary (Medicare Advantage Plan) insurance carrier. ABC will pay my medical bills (parts A & B) and receive reimbursement directly from Medicare for the portion covered by Medicare. All my medical bills go to ABC’s claims department, none go directly to Medicare.

I had home IVIG while under Medicare (ABC). Medicare/ABC did not cover all the costs and I had to negotiate with the home health agency to reduce and write-off the several thousand dollars they wanted me to pay. Letters went back and forth for many months before they finally wrote-off my balance. If I had to use home IVIG again, I would make sure they were a “contracted provider” and pre-negotiate the costs, then pick a provider I could afford.

I hope you get the coverage you need.

• Anonymous
      December 20, 2013 at 3:57 am

Just an update:

I was told I had to take a Medicare Advantage plan and loose my secondary Blue Cross. This is NOT true. I can’t tell you how many hours I was on the phone, checking brochures, online and even consulting a private policy adviser.

I kept my Medicare as my primary health coverage and found I could still have my State Employees Blue Cross not as the current 80/20 but as 70/30 coverage. After much debate and research I decided to keep things the way there were taking a little hit from reduced BSBS coverage. BCBS will still pay for my IVIG at home.

I’m happy to have two health coverage polices to help me with CIDP issues. 😀

• March 21, 2017 at 6:56 am

Mentioning about the home infusion sysytem its better to turn digital in this feild also.
      Call Bell, a home infusion support solution, increases patient satisfaction while reducing provider costs. Call Bell aims to provide superior remote patient support by incorporating instant communication capabilities with clinicians and providing expert instructions and advice seeking facilities with reduced waiting time and anxiety to the patients.

Call Bell is ideal for…
      1. Patients – Call Bell equips patients with the guidance and instruction they need to troubleshoot any infusion concern. 

• Patients can be confident that an answer is just a login away.
      • Patients need not worry that they will never be able to perform processes, related to operating infusion equipment, on their own.
      • Empowers patients go through the infusion process independently from admission to discharge.
      • Provides real time messaging 24/7 with the clinical staff so that patients feel supported and connected all the time.

2. Healthcare Providers – Call Bell modernizes the way providers and clinical staff connect with their patients.

• Healthcare providers can submit verbal orders and sign them digitally.
      • Nurses can take accurate inventory counts of patients’ supplies reducing the chronic waste that costs the industry millions.
      • Eliminate hours spent calling patients/physicians and sending/receiving faxes.
      • Reduce call center costs.
      • Decrease in unscheduled nursing visits.
      • Reduction in clinician on-call hours.
      • Reduce hospital re-admissions.
      • Reduction in supply costs.
      • Increase in patient satisfaction.