Have GammaGaurd IVIG-Where can I donate it???

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Hi there,
      I have been writing about my ordreals with my nightmares from getting my IVIG covered at home to having the home administration turn out to be a nightmare. I went for my last, much needed treatment, at the hospital and now that the dust has settled I am now back at home to find all the at home infusion therapy equipment still here…????? I called my insurance company and they arranged for a pick up date and time for the crucial things to be picked up. They came and picked up the infusion pumps, but left me with a box full of IV catheters, IV fluids, size 22 and 21 gauge needles for medication drip and the most strange thing left by them was the actual IVIG! They have left about 80 or so grams of the medicatio in vials in my fridge. I really don’t know what to do with it?? I called the insurance company and they told me that the could not take it back because the chain of custody has been broken. I can understand that. They don’t know if have stored it in the correct temperature and can’t take the risk of having another patient get sick from my medication. The thing is that I have stored it correctly and can’t bring myself to throw it away! This is close to 60k of medication that I know another person could benefit from.
      I guess my question is:
      Does anyone know of any organizations or clinics that will accept all of my medical supplies and even accept the IVIG to use for people who cannot afford the treatment. I want to donate it, but don’t know how. Can anyone guide me? I have 2, 20 gram vials of gammagaurd and 3, 10 gram vials of gammagaurd with countless and I am talking about a box full of IV fluids (saline) and cathaters, needles. You name it. I cannot bring myself to throw it away. I am fortunate enough to have insurance that is covering my treatments, I know there are thousands if people who aren’t that lucky and I would like to legally help out with the medication and supplies I have on hand and will not use. Thank you.
      Happy Holidays to all:-)

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Call Gammaguard directly. I’m sure they will be able to tell you what to do with all of your supplies.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Call your county’s health department or social services dept and see where you could donate some of it. Others of it must be discarded, and a bit of it in accordance with ‘environmental standards’. The services mentioned above should be able to help you. Then….some of it mite have an expiration date… and just be safely ‘dumped’.
      I wish it were simpler? It’s not. I worry about such things myself!

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I use Gammagard S/D 10%…..

I have donated excess medical items to a nearby clinic that offers free health care and my vet (saline). Call around–find it a good home as it’s always needed somewhere.

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm

That’s what I take. I hope I can find a clinic that will take it and that my insurance company doesn’t give me a hard time about it!!!!! I didn’t even think about donating the saline to my vet!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=limekat]I use Gammagard S/D 10%…..
      [B][/B]
      I have donated excess medical items to a nearby clinic that offers free health care and my vet (saline). Call around–find it a good home as it’s always needed somewhere.[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm

That’s what I take. I hope I can find a clinic that will take it and that my insurance company doesn’t give me a hard time about it!!!!! I didn’t even think about donating the saline to my vet!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=limekat]I use Gammagard S/D 10%…..
      [B][/B]
      I have donated excess medical items to a nearby clinic that offers free health care and my vet (saline). Call around–find it a good home as it’s always needed somewhere.[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I had my bi-weekly infusion today and I just happened to read the prescription label on my Gamunex. It stated that it was a violation of Federal Law to distribute the product to anyone other than the individual for whom it was prescribed. I don’t know if there is an exception for donated product, but it’s something to keep in mind.

• Anonymous
      January 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I’m late seeing this, but when I had IVIG I could not use due to reaction to that brand, I donated it to my vet. Even though it is human IVIG it has been used successfully in animals, you can google it.