• Anonymous
      August 16, 2006 at 8:00 am

      I know that disability is hard to get but how about a handicapped sticker for your car?
      Is this something that your doctor can suggest?:confused:

    • Anonymous
      August 16, 2006 at 9:16 am

      mudbear, ask your dr, in my state for the first one i needed a script and a form filled out, but for a renewal all i needed was a script. it only cost alittle over $3. call your license bureau and ask what is needed for a disability placard, they will tell you all that is required. you might need your ss card for the first one also.

    • Anonymous
      August 16, 2006 at 1:53 pm


      As Angel said, the doc has the form and will sign it, then sent to DMV. Might want to look at plates too. Hanging a card on a mirror gets old after awhile, and the sun makes them brittle.

    • Anonymous
      August 16, 2006 at 2:51 pm

      I’ve had a handicap tag since 1999. When I got it, I needed a prescription from doctor that it was necessary and a form was filled out. My tag was issued at my local town hall. When I get a notice, I just renew, don’t need new script.

    • August 16, 2006 at 4:32 pm

      The form I filled out along with my neuro states that a person must not be able to walk 200 ft. unassisted and then my doc filled in why. I filled out the front, the nurse filled out the back, the doc signed it, and 4 weeks later it arrived. It is good in any state and also (at least here in IL) allows an individual to not pay the parking meters.
      My state sends a renewal form every four years and there is no fee nor script needed. I’m sure it varies from state to state so perhaps going to your Secretary of State’s website would provide you with some info specific to your state.
      I don’t use mine very much exept for when I attempt to shop at Sam’s Club. But that’s because people are so crazed from buying in bulk and saving money that they get in their SUVs and peel out to get home:D

    • August 18, 2006 at 7:51 am

      Be sure to look into all it can do for you also. In Washington you can use it at parking meters and not have to pay, it also extends your time in time restricted parking. It’s nice to have in those bad periods.:)

    • Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 10:34 am


      I posted this once before, but it needs to be reminded of agin. In Seattle, I can litterally go downtown and sell my placard for $600. Why? Because of free metered parking. People here, and in every city, steal these from cars all the time. Be carefull how you protect them.

    • August 18, 2006 at 1:23 pm

      I don’t know how (as I’m sure we as drivers are not supposed to know) but the ones issued in IL are coded to give a description of who the parking placard is for.
      The news showed a gentleman using his mother’s during the Christmas Season and he was fined for the misuse. I know where we live in the burbs of Chicago, there are cameras everywhere. So even when my friends joke about using it, I tell them the exercise is better for them than the fine.

    • Anonymous
      August 18, 2006 at 5:15 pm

      In NM all you have to do is get a form from the DMV and take it to your Doc and have him sign it. It costs nothing and is good for 4 years. It has a number on it and you carry a permit on your person to make sure the wrong person is not using your placard.

    • Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 1:03 am


      All placards in all states are coded to the person. Most, if not all now, have bar codes with all that info on them. The problem is, police have better things to do, and meter maids don’t check either. The news media exposed them to the police, as opposed to the other way around. How I know what price I can get, is because of news exposure. Don’t even think any camera is going to be able to zero in on a card hanging from a mirror, then run it threw the system. I haven’t seen a camera put handcuffs on anyone yet. Even the ones who were caught redhanded by the news crew here, never were followed up by our police. Just too low of a priority.

    • Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 11:43 pm

      here i have a registration for my placard, just like for my car. it has to be in the vehicle that the placard is used in, but then again it says right on the placard this placard can be used in any vehicle that the registered owner is in. i have a clear vinyl cover for mine so it won’t tear or rot too fast. i’m not sure if toledo will let handicapped people park for free at metered spaces. i know they have a few handicapped unmetered spaces around town.

    • Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 1:04 pm

      thanks for all the replies, I asked my doctor when I seen him and he wrote me out a form to take to the DMV.I live in Missouri so I will see what else I need to do.

    • Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 1:20 pm


      To add to Cheryl’s comments, the biggest problem we disabled face with these placards is the preception of how they are used. A whole lot of people out there think the placard goes with the car. It doesn’t. It goes with the person. A person uses the placard to park, and the person it’s assigned to isn’t in the car, it’s illegal. I watched one day a van pull into a disabled spot. Had the placard on the mirror. All doors opened, and 6 teenage girls jumped out and litterally ran into the store. Using mom’s car no doubt. You can go to any town, city, county or state web sites, and you will find all the privliges accorded to the disabled. Most every major city, has free metered parking for the disabled. Does everyone know, that if disabled an on disability, and under, I believe $34k in income maybe, that property taxes can be reduced and brought down to paying zero each year, depending on circumstances and income? Look at you county web site for that one.
      Along with the placard, they give you an ID card too right? The disabled person technically has to have that on their person at all times too when using stuff like this.

    • August 22, 2006 at 9:07 am

      I’m not sure about property taxes but the city I live in will reimburse elderly and disabled people -regardless of income- the taxes they pay to ComEd and NiCor. It is $25/ utility unless one can produce the bill to show that it was more than $25/year. I haven’t taken advantage of it because one has to get a disabled state ID which requires more paperwork.
      I wish there was a discount for the disabled/elderly in property taxes. Ours keep going up and up which is disappointing considering how poor our school district is.

    • Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 12:01 pm

      🙂 Hi,

      I told you where you can find out that answer on property taxes, and then you say you’re not sure? Go look, and you will know forsure.:) Disabled stuff is pretty universal across all states these days, some minor state differences, but the big stuff is quite common in every state. Like when getting a placard for a car, our state provides an ID card to carry in the wallet to go with it. Most others do the same. That acts as my state ID card for everthing I may be able to apply for.

    • Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 12:24 pm

      [QUOTE=racer13]Most every major city, has free metered parking for the disabled.[/QUOTE]

      I went to the Student’s With Disabilities Center at the U of A to discuss accommations I may need and I had to [B][U]pay[/U][/B] to park in the handicapped slot in the parking garage… Go figure… 😡


    • Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 1:08 pm


      For one, it’s private parking, and two, it’s not city metered parking. It’s the U of A’s parking lot, which like most, are funded by your tax dollars through the state. Any private parking lot, only has to provide a space for the disabled, by your’s and mine’s state laws. They can indeed charge the going rate everyone pays. What a city, or a county, provides for the disabled, is up to them.