Getting sick surely does affect the pain level of one's CIDP

• March 4, 2017 at 7:47 pm

I had read in past posts that those who got sick while recovering from their CIDP experienced a level of regression in the process.

Tuesday night I either had food poisoning or a 24 hour Norovirus bug. Either way, some of the numbness in myhands and legs came back and the muscles became very weak. I’ve had a bit of a rebound today, but overall, but I still feel drained and as if the neuropathy had turned back to the higher pain/numbness level from a month ago.

Yikes.

• March 6, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Hey Bryan,

Sorry to hear that you got sick, which possibly triggered the CIDP symptoms. Since I am new to this like you I am not sure the correlation. I do know that my infusion nurse originally asked me if I ever had sinus infections and I told her yes (who doesn’t living in Houston) and she said a side benefit of the ivig infusions was that they would keep me from getting sick. Of course, if it was food poisoning, probably could not have prevented that. Hope this is temporary for you and you go back to improving each day.

Jeff

• March 6, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Sorry to hear, Bryan! I hope you recover quickly! It varies for everyone. I came down with a cold not too long ago and definitely noticed that I was more fatigued than I normally am when I do get colds. However, I was lucky and recovered within a few days. I know for some, when they do get sick, it seems to be prolonged and more intense than before, but thankfully, for me, it was short and just a tad bit more intense. I didn’t experience any more pain than usual. I hope that has subsided for you and you find relief. Do you still receive monthly IVIG treatments? It should help with the regression. All the best!

Jamie

• March 8, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for the responses. No, I’m on prednisone, 40mg for at least the next 2 months. Haven’t had IVIG since my hospital stay in early January.

This disease is so weird. My recovery, while in the long run seems to trend incrementally towards the positive, each and every day, my legs, feet, and hands present me with different sensations.

At least it is a “sensation” and not numbness, but right now it seems to be a phase of painfulness. Additionally some days I seem to have a lot of muscle strength in my legs and other days they seem weaker. At least I’ve seem to have gotten over the effects of the bug.

Additionally, I stronger suspect that some of the “imbalance” or weakness and even sensations I feel are tied into the prednisone. Somedays its effects seem a bit overwhelming to me.

• GH
      March 9, 2017 at 8:48 am

Prednisone should not be causing any of the pain or sensations. CIDP damages the nerves. This causes neuropathic pain. I have permanent residual neuropathic pain years after going off prednisone and all other drugs related to my CIDP.