Genicular Nerve Block and GBS

• November 2, 2018 at 5:04 pm

My husband has been given the option of having a Genicular Block (procedure) for temporary relief till he gets his Total Knee Replacement. My concerns are the same as with the TKR. Can this cause a recurrence of GBS? How great are the chances? The process involves cauterizing the nerves to block pain so I am very concerned. I truly appreciate any information with regards to this as he must make a decision soon.

• November 2, 2018 at 10:58 pm

GBS is an autoimmune system disorder where antibodies are triggered in response to an invading organism (often the Campylobacter bacteria) and the antibodies produced (T-cells) that normally detect “self” are defective and don’t properly recognize “self”.

The chances that a TKR, a nerve block, or local anesthetic (lidocaine, etc.) would cause the immune system to respond with any such antibodies, or trigger a reoccurrence of GBS, I think is pretty slim. Even if it did, immunosuppressants (Prednisone, etc.) can be employed to reduce the immune response, but I would not think the risk warrants it.