GBS vs a Little Boy

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Hi Everyone.

I am here tonight to tell you a tale about my 22 month old vs GBS. It has truly been a battle. My Brandon has been in the hospital for 2 weeks as of tomorrow due to GBS. He has had a severe case of it. To put it in words cannot describe what this child as gone thru.

Two weeks ago my wife and I took our child to the ER for he had a fever and was not eating. He was also very irritable. Long story short is the ER was plannng on sending us home. As parents we interjected and proclaimed that we did not feel comfortable going home for two reasons. We live almost one hour away and he was not himself. Well. after a week of test and exames all the doctors could tell us was he has something but we dont know what. The last straw was a full body MRI that proclaimed all was normal. Looking at Brandon one would say he was on Deaths door. We were transported to Brenners Children Hospital in NC and once there we had a prognosis in two hours. GBS. A day later Brandon was put on a respirator and 4 days later he was taken off the respirator. To give the brief versoin, we have had the good with the bad. Today was the best day thru this journey. I urge all to reach out to each other with this syndrome. I can be reached at 336-977-8698. Please call me if you need to talk. It is not only theraputic, but also helpful. More updates to follow. Wishing all you well. Paul Marenco

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Good news. Brandon is getting better. He is very week on his left side and needs therapy to get him back to his normal self. He is not yet eating or drinking. Can anyone tell me is this normal. How long before they start to want to eat or drink. This is a huge hurtle for us and any replies would be helpful. Thanks, Dad

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2006 at 9:10 pm

Digestion requires alot of energy. Right now, little Brandon’s body is busy dealing with this disease process. I would suggest offering fluids ie: water, vegetable juices, maybe even a popsicle but be very careful with sugary things and milk products. They are extra stress to the body and your precious little guy doesn’t need more! Just by being aware and “listening” to Brandon, he’ll let you know when his body is ready. You are all being kept in my prayers.

• September 14, 2006 at 5:46 pm

I went thru the not eating thing myself. Nothing interested me and if I did manage to eat something it seemed as if my digestive system went into spaz mode. Honestly it felt as if I was numb inside from my stomach down. I countered it (had to get something into me because i was losing too much weight too fast) with nutritional drinks (slim fast, ensure type stuff) and silk soy milk for kids in very vanilla and lots of water. His appetite will come back, it just seems to take forever.