GBS story of a russian girl :)

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 11:24 am

I’m 21. I live in Novosibirsk (Russia). It seems to be one of the biggest cities in Russia with the population about 1,8 million, however GBS have appeared to be quite a rare disease here, so I spend three weeks in uncertainty before getting my diagnose. I guess Russian system of health services must to be quite different from US, UK or Canadian, still I’m going to tell my story. Actually I’m not really sure yet if “success stories” is a suitable place for my case. However I believe that I’ll be able to go back to my normal life very soon. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I haven’t ever had any serious problems with my health, still in the first days of February 2007 I started feeling that was something wrong with my legs. In the beginning it was just some kind of slight weakness in my hips, it looked to be nothing serious and I considered it to be just a cause of my fitness trainings. Later some kind of numbness appeared in my hips, and I started facing a problem with a process of standing up. At first it became really hard to me to get up from the floor or after squatting. I noticed that it was progressing, so my concerns were growing and I decided to inform my mom about my troubles. She is a gynecologist and is quite competent in medicine. She also hadn’t considered it to be something serious but asked a neuropathologist to come to see me, it was on February, 17. After this I come through numerous blood analyses, tomography, consultations of all kinds of medical gurus. During that my diagnose was varying from poisoning to disseminated sclerosis and some other nasty things. Until finally on March, 6 I got my GBS diagnose. At that time I had been already unable to stand and walk without help and I had no reflexes in my legs and hands. Afterwards I got a course of plasmapheresis (5 procedures) during which about 12,5 liters of my plasma were replaced. Then I got a 10 days medical course and now I’m at home. Tomorrow I’ll go to a rehabilitation center to start a course of massage, physical exercises and so on. I’m still not able to stand or walk on my own, but I have no doubt that I’ll get over it. GBS have already changed my life drastically; however I still want to believe that in a nearest future I could say that these changes were mainly positive ๐Ÿ˜‰

The success stories which I’ve read here encouraged me a lot, and I’m sincerely thankful for all of those great people who have found time to tell their stories.

I’ll be happy to communicate with people who have faced GBS in their life.

Good luck!

By the way, sorry for my English, I’ve tried my best ๐Ÿ™‚

• April 3, 2007 at 11:35 am

Hi,
      My name is Dawn (otherwise known as Ausra) I am Lithuanian, so we are kind of neighbors. Well, I am American born but my father was from Lithuania and I know how to speak the language. Your positive attitude is very good! My son is ten years old and was diagnosed in October 2006 with the chronic (comes back) form of gbs known as cidp. He, like you, is very positive. He considers himself lucky compared to the many others who suffer to a greater degree. I should learn from both you and my son to be so positive and gracious. I know your recovery will go well and I will pray for you. Dawn (Ausra):) ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Yulia,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for posting your story. Your english is fantastic by the way. Dont be shy to ask questions or give advice or comment on things.

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2007 at 5:21 am

Hi Yulia

Just wanted to say how inspirational your post was. First of all your English is great. I dont know too many English speaking people who could comminicate so fluently in their second language.

secondly, how great they you feel yours is a success story even though you still can’t stand or walk on your own. It is great that you have such a positive attitude and no doubt that will help you throughout your rehab process.

Good luck

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2007 at 7:54 pm

Hi Yulia, and welcome.
      Your English is outstanding. When I come to Russia, you can be my interpretor. I hope you continue to feel better. I ran a marathon less than a year after my diagnosis, and I’m sure a positive attitude helped, as did the many prayers of my family and friends.

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Welcome to our family Yulia, your English is great. I am glad to hear that your getting better. I hope you come back here often, we are here to help.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Yulia, your English is terrific! You’ll have lots of visitors for the total solar eclipse which passes over Novosibirsk on August 1, 2008. I know people who are already planning to visit, so get better soon! ๐Ÿ˜‰

http: //sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEplot/SEplot2001/SE2008Aug01T.GIF