GBS- Six Variants

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I did a search of my own posts and had a hard time finding what I knew was there, so here it is again.

“[I]…Variants

Several variants of GBS are recognized. These disorders share similar patterns of evolution, recovery, symptom overlap, and probable immune-mediated pathogenesis.
      1. The Miller-Fisher syndrome
      2. The AMAN variant
      3. The axonal form of GBS also referred to as acute motor-sensory axona neuropathy (AMSAN)
      4. A pure sensory variant of GBS
      5. Acute pandysautonomia
      6. The pharyngeal-cervical-brachial variant [/I]

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/315632-overview#a0104

GBS Six Variants

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I found this whilst searching for recomended treatments:

“[I]…Variants Several variants of GBS are recognized. These disorders share similar patterns of evolution, recovery, symptom overlap, and probable immune-mediated pathogenesis….[/I]” They go on to list and describe six different variants.

Well, it’s best if you go directly to the article- Updated: Mar 29, 2010

at: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/315632-overview

• Anonymous
      February 25, 2011 at 8:11 am

Thank you!

I made this site a favorite. It has a lot of information and was/is going to be very helpful to me.

Shirley

• February 25, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I notice that this particular article was authored and coauthored by doctors with no expressed credentials in neuro medicine. I am not saying that means it is mis- or un-informed but suggesting as such may be possible.
      Bob

• February 26, 2011 at 10:03 am

Found this very informative and comprehensive and I am sure other will as well.

Good stuff thanks for sharing

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Please take note of the credentials for the following, the Medical & Managing Editors. Perhaps they have a vested interest in insuring the accuracy and validity of the article.

Medical Editor

Daniel D Scott, MD, MA, Associate Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Colorado School of Medicine; Attending Physician, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Eastern Colorado Health Care System
      Daniel D Scott, MD, MA is a member of the following medical societies: Alpha Omega Alpha, American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, [COLOR=”Red”][B]American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine, [/B][/COLOR]American Paraplegia Society, Association of Academic Physiatrists, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, and Physiatric Association of Spine, Sports and Occupational Rehabilitation
      Disclosure: Nothing to disclose.
      Pharmacy Editor

Managing Editor

Michael T Andary, MD, MS, Professor, Residency Program Director, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
      Michael T Andary, MD, MS is a member of the following medical societies: American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, [COLOR=”Red”][B]American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine,[/B][/COLOR] American Medical Association, and Association of Academic Physiatrists
      Disclosure: allergan Honoraria Speaking and teaching; Pfizer Honoraria Speaking and teaching
      CME Editor

Pray tell, which credentials would garner your, oh, heck, nevermind. To each his own….

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thanks to others The INDEX alone is enuf to give some docs a bit of respect once we are diagnosed.
      It IS a BIG list?
      URLhttp://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/alfindex.htmURL
      This focuses on the ‘demyelinating neuropathies’? it’s pretty big too..but more specific:
      URLhttp://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/nother/myelin.htmlURL
      Happy reading?
      Just go to the top and read all those goodies too, such as…all of it?
      This web site ‘grows’ in it’s neuro issues and diagnostic aspects yearly…and it can give you a handle on whether yours is toxic, autoimmune, hereditary or a few other deliteful complications!
      Every time I visit this site? I learn or take in more! It’s very tight/compact and at times, is hard to grasp all of it at once. Once your really done? You will know at least 70% of doc lingo! Just use it wisely and with suitable caution! Do Not EVER Panic! Just use it as a tool.
      Hope this helps!

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

Homeagain,

I do like the wustl.edu site. And, it is very complex.

• March 1, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Thank you for the clarification yuehan. Much appreciated. It does seem to hold a lengthy bit of quality information.
      Bob