GBS Since March 2010

• Anonymous
      December 21, 2010 at 12:04 am

Hi guys! Im a 22 year old who was diagnosed with GBS in mid march of this year after it had been going on for about a month and missed by about 5 different doctors and 2 different hospitals. I was fortunate enough to not have major issues besides losing the ability to move arms and legs, no balance issues or breathing issues. I got IVIG in march…relapsed about 3 1/2 weeks later, went through plasmaferisis (sp?) at this point…almost 100% better after this. 3 1/2 weeks later back in hospital with a full relapse, went through another series of IVIG. At this point i was on steroids taking lots of vitamins to combat side effects from steriods and it was decided to do IVIG every few weeks to keep symptoms at bay it worked throughtout the summer but as soon as I started school and working back up i got colds and started to have symptoms again, thankfully no full blown issues. It seems that everytime I work or go through finals it starts to slowly come back. Is this normal? Im not used to having to deal with long periods of recovery time…im not a patient person so this is really testing my patience…ive also heard it takes time to heal but im also 22 and not in the normal category of people to get this.. any suggestions, advice?

ashley <333

Life is Like A Box Of Chocolates, You Never Know What You Are Going to Get> Forrest Gump

• Anonymous
      December 21, 2010 at 7:16 am

I thought I was doing well in July and started back to work full time. Was dx in January of 2010. I would get small relapses about every three weeks, I just could not handle the long hours and full work load. I am 61 and currently not working and feeling much better. Good luck to you and I wish you full and a complete recovery.

• Anonymous
      December 21, 2010 at 8:53 am

Ashley,

Welcome to the forums, so sorry you have GBS.

You ask -(It seems that everytime I work or go through finals it starts to slowly come back. Is this normal?)
      Yes, I would say it is normal. Stress, work or just over doing it can cause symptons to become worse.

You need to rest as much as possible.
      Others have mentioned how stress will cause symptoms to be worse, I know that any time I get stressed my GBS symptoms are worse.
      I rest, get the feet up, sleep and get rid of the stress (hard to do). After I sleep or rest awhile it does help me feel better.

Wishing you continued improvement.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      December 31, 2010 at 1:41 pm

You need to get disabilty an take it easy for a while

• February 4, 2011 at 1:44 am

Ashley,

Patience was never my strong suit when I was younger either. Still isn’t I suppose. I had GB at 17. It took me right at a year to get back on my feet without crutches. Every time I read the forums here about moms and dads with kids and jobs and bills who are dealing with GB and its aftermath I am ever so grateful I had GB when I did. I don’t really regret missing that year of high school much. Do your best to take time off, at least a semester or two if you can, and rest up. You will almost certainly get better more quickly that way.

Also, since a relapse scare a few years ago, a B-complex vitamin referred to as B-100 is my new best friend. Stress reduces your levels of several B vitamins. B vitamins are crucial to nerve health. Even though my levels were at the bottom of the acceptable range, that range didn’t really apply to me and my damaged nerves. Although I was weakened enough that I had to pull myself up stairs using the railing by the time I found out about my low B levels, once I started the vitamins I was back to “normal” for me in 1-2 weeks. Check with your doctor and see what they say about B supplements.