Gbs Patient For 11 Years-needs Help

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Hello everybuddy,

I’m Guru from INDIA. My mom is suffering from GBS for past 11years. She undergone basic treatments & the disease has been diluted in first Six Months.
      Though She was unable to walk until now. I’ve seen lot of peoples who get cured from gbs & getting back to normal life & i have read the stories here which gives me very great hope, that she can too.
      Now my mom’s age is 49. She is a diabetes patient, which we came to know when she fell ill for this disease. Now her teeths are losing.
      I need to immediately treat my mom back to normal.
      I even see very old persons than my mom is getting back to normal life. I’m confident my mom will also back too.

Kindly advise me what shall i do over & also tell me the treatment mode & period of time & cost of the treatment for making my mom to walk as a normal person.

I need your privileged advice

Thanks & Regards,
      Guru.

• Anonymous
      November 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Thanks & Regards,
      Guru.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum!

Did your mother receive treatment such as Plasmapheris or IVIG? You stated that she is walking, however, is she still receiving physical therapy?

Is she currently having new issues or are these issues ongoing from 11 years ago when she was diagnosed with GBS? It’s difficult to determine the type of treatment required or the costs involved.

I apologize for all the questions but the more information we (other forum members) have, the better we can try to assist.

Take care!

Tina

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

Hello Tina.,

Thanks for your kind reply. My mother received Plasmapheris treatment at the starting stage. And sadly my mom is not walking still now 🙁 . Thats why i am here for how to make my mom walk again.
      I hope i get my mom back to walk.,.

• December 6, 2011 at 1:19 am

He only started responding when they went to weekly high dose IVIG treatments.

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Is he walking right now?.
      How is his present condition.

And I have one big doubt. Will the disease may affect again to a gbs patient, even it gets cured once.,?

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2011 at 8:25 am

Hi Guru,

Did she get better after having the plasmapheris treatment, if not, perhaps her doctors can try IVIG. Is she currently receiving any physical therapy?

You also asked if it’s possible to get GBS more than once. It is possible, though the percentage is pretty low. Do you feel your mother may have had a relapse? Did the doctors have a firm diagnosis of GBS? There could be a possibility that she has CIDP which may require longterm treatments such as IVIG.

I hope this helps!!

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

It’s surprising why plasmapheris was preferred instead of IVIG. Generally initially dose of IVIG is administered (as per weight of the patients in the proportionate of 1 gram of IVIG per kg of weight of the person or so). I was told by my doctors that if the IVIG does not fetch the desired result, the plasmapheris may be tried thereafter. But thanks God it wasn’t required for me.

I understand IVIG treatment is comparatively easy and not painful as like plasmapheris. Does anyone has that experience?

Take care

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2011 at 3:27 am

Thanks GH for letting me now your experience. Actually I have not come across in India anybody had this treatment as I know lot of patients having IVIG treatment.