GBS patient dies

• December 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm

As a former GBS patient, I visited a man with GBS who was paralyzed and on a vent in June, 2013. I told him he would be okay. Feel so bad now. He never completely got off the vent and finally died a few days ago. I never realized a person could die from this.

• GH
      December 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

In-hospital mortality for persons diagnosed with GBS is between two and three percent. The elderly, those with cardiac conditions, and those who require ventilation are more likely to die.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18443311/

GBS and complications associated with it can put a great deal of stress on the body. It is not surprising that a few people will not make it through. Was this gentleman elderly?

• December 22, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I almost made that statistic. While hospitalized for GBS and undergoing breathing treatments, I went “Code Blue”. They rushed a team to my room to keep me alive. I remember uncontrollably loosing coconsciousness, and then everything went black. After they resuscitated me, I was very groggy and had no comprehension about what had just happened. All I can remember is seeing light and it got brighter as my brain began to function again. I was lucky the team acted so quickly to save my life.

I’m saddened to hear your friend was not able to be kept alive.

• December 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Yes, this man was 69 years old. He had the worst case that I have ever heard of. He would get off the vent for a few hours but have to go back on. His wife also has cancer. So sad.