GBS more in certain locations?

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 1:35 pm

I had a terrible case of GBS in 1969. I caught it in Cleveland, OH where I later discovered there were several hundred cases. I had gone off to Florida on Spring break and was the only case there although that is where it played out.. I lived for many years in Atlanta and only heard of one case. I have moved back to Cleveland and suddenly I’ve heard of six in the last month. Is GBS more common in one location than another? I wrote CDC, but got no response. Does anyone have any idea where this information is available? Judie Ryan

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 4:06 pm

hi judith & welcome,

could be the trigger mechanism [ie. the water, the air] in celveland is something that many are susceptbile to. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Judie,

This is a very ineresting subject …… you are right, many forum members have noticed this in the past as it does seem to happen quite frequently. As Gene said, it is possibly a trigger mechanism in many cases. You often find that doctors have not have any contact with GBS and all of a sudden there will be a few cases in number of months …. Makes one think.:confused:

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2006 at 10:43 pm

hi judie, i live in ohio also. on the other end of the lake. we have had alot of cases here in my town also. a friend of my family died from gbs-he was told he got the infection from when he was rowing in the maumee river-which of course dumps into the lake. soo its really hard to say what might be the cause, but if you find out i would be interested in knowing also.

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 4:53 am

Ok, now you guys and dolls have got my attention 🙂 ……………I have thought about this Ohio concentration of GBSers for as long as I have been a member of this discussion forum. It had always occurred to me that I was constantly noticing that there were a LOT of people from Ohio who have contracted this autoimmune disorder. I thought it was just me at first, now I see others are noticing……………..so, very interesting indeed!!!! 😮

Be well and continue to heal,

Perry

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 4:03 pm

hi per, how ya been man?! i think is has something to do with the water around here myself, but who am i to say. lake erir was once the most polluted lake in the 5 great lakes area. toledo and all of the cities around here get there water from lake erir. sure it comes through all of the system of treatments and so on, but how can they possible know forsure they are killing off all the viruses that can be in the water. especially if a viruse can’t be killed with a whole lot of things. just me thinking out loud again-but it does make you think.

but that doesn’t explain all the cases around the world or the rest of the states. someday that will be answered-hopefully sooner rather then later.

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2006 at 6:08 pm

Dear Judith:

I started a thread called “Is Oregon City a GBS Cluster”. I will add to the thread so you can find easily. The short answer is GBS doesn’t appear to show up in clusters, but infections do cluster. If you think there is a GBS cluster, I would be willing to bet that you are seeing the results of an infection cluster.

Lee

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 5:00 am

Hi Angel! 😉 I am doing pretty good.
      And you? No more relapses, I hope.
      I don’t know either about what is going on with the “clusters”, but it sure does seem like one hell of a coincidence or coincidences. (Like Ohio’s and, according to Lee, around the Oregon City area). But, you are right Lee, infections (leading to GBS).

Perry

P.S. Angel, you are right about your water though!! I wouldn’t want to drink the water from your area……:) It probably is better now, right??
      Ya Know……………….actually we could all use some water, like in rainwater??? Hotter’n Hell down here, and ya’ll have had your share of heat too, no??