GBS from Stress

• August 25, 2014 at 11:35 am

Anybody here know if their GBS was related to stress?

• GH
      August 26, 2014 at 12:19 am

GBS is not caused by “stress.” It is generally believed to be triggered by an infection, although the specific triggering pathogen is generally unknown. The susceptibility of the individual is also a factor but this aspect is not understood in detail except that it is not an inherited illness.

• August 28, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I believe stress contributed to my 5 episodes of GBS. Each time I was under stress. It probably didn’t cause the episodes but my immune system was not great because of the stress. Flu-like illness was the culprit the first 4 times and shingles brought it on in April of 2014. I know I will recover so am grateful for knowing this too will pass.

• November 28, 2014 at 8:56 pm

When I was first diagnosed, the doctor told me that stress contributed to my getting GBS. I was also warned (strongly) to avoid all stress while recovering.

That’s a bit a tricky. 🙂

• January 17, 2015 at 5:28 am

Stress is an umbrella term used to describe so many things. Of course, GBS, and the potential residuals, are distressful. But we do need some stress, for without stress we would be pools of water laying on the floor. That said, I have changed my stress-full lifestyle post-GBS with the path of least resistance lifestyle, since the fun residual of anxiety attacks and depression have shown me I feel better when my stress, and distress, is managed well. That includes lots of things, like how well I eat and if I am exercising by injured body, etc. Post-GBS ’98, I’m doing pretty well as far as I am concerned. You know, meditation is a wonderful thing… a great way to manage stresses!

No idea about relapse, but from what I’ve read, a GBS episode can occur when the level of distress on our autoimmune system becomes critical, as we all have the same predispositions. I think it requires that many triggers come into alignment, to cause a GBS episode, but who knows what is actually going on– just like most rare neurological disorders we don’t have enough research resources churning to bring about great insights. In reading threads RE Multiple Sclerosis, it seems that managing stress is an integral part of recovery, and adjustments to a drastic change in lifestyle, which in and of itself is quite distressful, and similar to what we go through with being a GBSer.

I keep a list of 12 things happy people do, and what comes to mind is #12 on the list: “Increase flow experiences (flow=so focused on something that time stands still).” I achieve this state while playing my Bass guitar, and when I am playing team-oriented computer games, or when I am writing with much concentration. What do you do to manage your distress? What do you do to increase your ‘flow experience?”

• August 30, 2015 at 6:50 am

I was under a tremendous amount of stress dent marital problems and work related when I got sick with GBS

• September 30, 2015 at 5:53 am

the week i got diagnosed with GBS was one of the most stressful times i have ever had.

• November 9, 2015 at 8:53 am

When I was diagnosed, I asked the doctor specifically if stress contributed to my getting GBS. He didn’t hesitate in saying that yes, it did.

Almost makes me scared of stress yet no one gets through life without some. I’m referring to the bad kind.

@Matt
      W, I think engaging in activities what we enjoy to reduce cortisol production is an excellent idea!

My kinesiology doctor also recommends Qi Gong to relax and have better energy flow.

• March 31, 2016 at 7:15 pm

My stress level is so high and was when dx. They said to reduce your stress but not sure how when now it’s higher cause I’m in bed, in pain, can’t care for my ill husband and worrying about losing my job! Geez so much worry!

• GH
      April 5, 2016 at 10:20 pm

“Stress” is not a well-defined medical term. http://www.stress.org/what-is-stress/ It is not useful in explaining what causes GBS and related disorders. The fact is, the etiology of GBS is not well understood. It is known that Campylobactor jejuni can be a trigger, but there may be many triggers. The cause of any particular case of GBS is usually not knowable.

I would be skeptical of any doctor who attributed my illness to “stress.” If a doctor recommended Qi Gong to me or used terminology like “energy flow,” I would find a new doctor right away.