Gbs 1986

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 12:34 am

I had GBS when I was 18,it started with my R eye drooping and next day i can’t hold my head up, my jaw sag, my tongue can’t move, I was unable to talk. Both of my upper and lower extremeties were paralyzed.:) However my sensation was always intact. I was on a ventilator for 1 month; was not able to talk for 6 months. my therapy started on the day I was sick.In my country (philippines), if I did not have financial support from my sister and relatives in U.S., I could have been dead. I could have not finish my degree in nursing. I finish my nursing degree 1989..now, I am in U.S.. I have a family.I am still suffering from neuropathic pain on my legs and hands.Yet, I am practicing as a RN in U.S. since 1993. Oddly, I am in Neuroscience/neurosurgery field.Take me as your inspiration. I want to help. If you want to email me privately; pls. put “GBS” title on the heading of your email so that I would open it.Eden 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 6:12 am

What a great thrill to read your message and how well you have recovered and went on with your life. I think it is great you are in a career where you can help people understand their illnesses. I am glad you posted your inspiring story.

I have to change careers and am still struggling with what field I want to change to. I am offered schooling since the onset of this illness. I will not be able to return to my prior career.

PLease continue to post or our forum to give others a ray of hope on their recoveries.

KIT

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2006 at 4:32 pm

Welcome Eden! I had GBS when I was 17. I am so thrilled to learn that you are an RN in the neuro field! Keep up the great work and I hope you stay in touch!