foot pain help:

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2007 at 9:27 am

Hi All:
      I am in my 12th month post GBS. I had most of the damage to the feet, legs, hands and arms. Found myself unable to walk or stand from a chair etc. Had the 5 nights treatment ivig and home to recover. I have pushed the recovery and had some set-backs as a result and at some points wondered if I would ever get any better. Many said give it 18 months before expecting much improvement. I am 70 years old and hated the thought of taking 18 months out of my life, but God is in control so just have to go with the flow.
      I just wanted to let everyone know that I seemed to have found a solution to the foot pain that has been so bad for the past 6 months. I have been taking neurotin (3600 mg) per day, morning, noon and night, but my feet still gave me a real problem every afternoon. I now take 2 tramadol(50 mg) about 1 pm and it has completely zoned out the bad pain. So far, I am well pleased and can walk better since my feet are not hurting when I walk. I can tell a big difference in my strength just in the past week. I realize everyone is different and we have to find the right balance of pain meds. I hope this will help someone else with this terrible condition. I take the pills, find a good book and enjoy the float.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2007 at 8:14 pm

I am glad to hear that you found a combination of meds to help you with the pain. I also take Tramadol as needed in addition to Lyrica. The Tramadol is better for joint, muscle, misc pain and the Lyrica takes care of the nerve pain. If you are still having a great deal of nerve pain talk to Neuro. possibly you need to increase your dose of Neurontin or possibly change to something like Lyrica. I prefer Lyrica because I get the same relief as Neurontin without feeling like I am in a fog.

Good luck.
      Jerimy

• December 15, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I will also be 70 on my next birthday. I think GBS is a little rougher on us older folks. It will be five years since I went to the hospital with GBS the day before Christmas. I didn’t get out until about the 10th of April the following year so I was in the hospital over three months and on the vent for almost 2 months. Since I live in Panama I heard nothing but Spanish being spoken for my 3 months in the hospital which helped me a lot with the language. Anyhow I am almost completely recovered except for some nerve damage in my feet and some tingling in my fingers. I assume the nerve damage is pretty permanent but it doesn’t bother me that much. My feet burn and ache at times but I hate medications so I don’t take anything, It is more annoying than really painful. I can do almost everything as before except maybe I am not quite as agile walking over rough ground. GBS can really set you back at least temporarily but it is not as bad as many other diseases you can get. I know some people my age who have had strokes and they are much worst off than I am.

I am wondering about my father (who is now deceased) who claimed he had polio back in the thirties and that the lord healed him (he was religious). His legs were paralyzed but he got over it. I am thinking he had GBS but didn’t know that he had it. Maybe there is a genetic factor? Anyhow good luck to you and you seem to be having a rapid recovery.

• August 12, 2014 at 7:20 am

You require putting some warm water and soaking them the give them a little massage or try to put those gel things on your sneakers.

• January 16, 2017 at 9:21 am

I am presently on 75Mg of Tramadol, 2 x a day. 600mg neurotin, 3x a day. I have found, Skate Boarding slip-on’s with a padded Spen-Co Insole. A God-Send.

This is after trying dozens of other medications, and gimmicky items,cremes,socks, Ect. I am awaiting for my IVIG to get approved. I am 60+ yrs old and this had problem has put me down. I had to leave my 30+ year Generator Technician, Job. I have gone un-diagnosed for 5 yrs prior, Even though seeing My regular MD, A Neurologist and a Foot doctor. Several times a year. I had every Test,MRI,Xray,Ultrasound,EMG,Epidural. Was told it was un-explained Nerve Neuroapathy.

Hang in there. For me the Skateboard shoes And Nucyta (which I believe is a brand of Tramadol) and Neurotin, have allowed me to start a swimming routine at the YMCA, that and a & bicycle exercise routine of 3 miles a day. This caused me too, me loose 30 lbs. I was getting excruciating leg cramps and foot throbbing foot pain at night, every night. Cramping now happens only on occasion, and rarely. And when it does it is much less painful cramping, for less time. The throbbing is controllable now with the Nucynta & Neurotin combination.

Don’t get discouraged. Weight loss and exercise helped me, along with the Shoes. Combined, with the exercise, these have worked wonders for me personally.

The Skate Board shoes and Spen-Co Insoles I got on Amazon.com. They have allowed me to get active again. This, and finding out I have CIPD and am not going NutZ. Has also helped changed my life for the better. I have had Extreme nerve pain in my feet. The numbness moved up my shins, and up to my knees. Then it slowly progressed into my fingers & thumb. My insurance, Aetna is dragging their feet, but It looks like I will prevail, with getting approved for IVIG.

If you cant find what Shoes I am referring too, I can provide links to the products I have used, if that is allowable on the Site. If not contact, me by Email and I will show you what shoes I use.