Flu Vaccine /Hepatitis B Vaccine Question?

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Just curious how many of us have had a Hepatitis B Vaccine? I had a reaction after that vaccine and the flu shot gave me problems. I see the flu vaccine mentioned in here alot but don’t see to many saying much about the Hepatitis Vaccine. Are there less problems with that vaccine also?
      Also something that struck me strange. Ediperuls given to us ladies when we are in labor! Two of us in here saw something happen after them! Wonder if there is something there?

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 5:37 pm

When Carol and I joined the Peace Corps in 2001 and went to Thailand, one of the many vaccinations we were required to get was Hep A and B. A few weeks later I started to have numbness in my toes. You know where I am now 7 years later.
      The Peace Corps Medical Office/Dept. of Labor denied my claim because a clear connection could not be established and the Thai Peace Corps nurse failed to note it in my exit interview records. Well, guess what, the government is paying for most of my medical expenses anyhow. Instead of the DOL it’s Medicare.

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Hey Norb! I had both Hepatitis A & B both and got numbness and tingly a few days afterwards too. Then I came down with Lupus. I was working in the medical field back then and they made the shot mandatory. Wished I would have said no back then. But in order for me to have kept my job I had to take the vaccine. So I now know of two that had that Vaccine and had problems. Just wonder how many others!

• Anonymous
      October 9, 2008 at 8:02 pm

there are a lot of differences in how different vaccines are made. Some are made of a viral protein, some to dead (inactivated virus), some to live virus (often made weak–called attenuated), and some to the toxic substance the virus causes (toxoid).
      HepB is protein.
      measles, mumps, and rubella and chicken pox and the kind of polio vaccine taken by mouth are live or weakened live virus vaccines.
      Polio taken as a shot and hepatitis A are dead viruses.
      Tetanus and diphtheria are toxoids.
      Influenza can be live attentuated (flu-mist) or dead virus, but I think the amount of immune response can depend on previous years varieties of flu and how close they are to the one in that years’ vaccine.

As a general rule, vaccines that contain whole viruses-alive, weakened, or dead make a more robust immune response and also are more often associated with GBS. Hepatitis B does not get a lot of bad press from GBS and in fact we consider it one of the gentler vaccines to give in immunodeficient children, in children who have completed chemotherapy, and in children who have had a bone marrow transplant. Hepatitis A is another story…..
      WithHope

• October 9, 2008 at 11:13 pm

With Hope,
      Thank God I trusted my instincts and said no. Our pcp wanted to give my older son the hep a vaccine, knowing about Kevin. Even said Kevin could get it because it was synthetic. Is this not true? She said it would pose no risk because it is synthetic. I am at a crossroads with tetanus. Currently, my thought is if a situation should arise, such as a fall at the playground, street, even dirt, thus requiring stitches, we would just allow the scrub done prior to the sutures and leave it at that. Should we fall on something rusty in a farm setting I would seriously consider. Would a cut or injury in a pond or lake possibly require hard thought regarding a tetanus booster? For Kevin this would not be for 4 more years, Nick, it is 6 months from now. Is it necessary to have a booster if due prior to a surgery? I was told yes. I have been told many things, not always right and unfortunateley most research seems to be pharmaceutical biased, so I cannot get reliable info that considers our situation. Your experience both in your job and your personal health would be honest, as you live it. What is your opinion?.
      Dawn Kevies mom