Flu Vaccine – GBS what is going to happen?

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 12:39 am

      I received the flu vaccine on Wednesday, November 15. I immediately felt tingling down my arm, I assumed the nurse hit my nerve, and I do believe that still. Then next day, yesterday, my muscle ached, as if I seriously bruised it, just above the outside of my knee on the same side I received the vaccine and my feet began to tingle. By yesterday afternoon the tingling began to raise up to my calf. I woke up this morning still feeling the tingling and my muscle on my leg feeling bruised and sore. I called my doctor and he asked me to come in immediately. He diagnosed me with GBS and told me it was flared by the flu vaccine. He told me to go to the ER if the tingling turned into numbness or if I have a hard time breathing over the weekend. He wants to see me again on Monday to assess the situation. He believes I have a mild case. He said otherwise it would have advanced much further then it has.

      The information that I have read is scary to say the least. Has anyone else had a similar onset? I have young children and my husband is out of town. Any suggestions?

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 4:45 am

      My onset was very rapid and progressed quickly so i can kind of understand what your doctor is saying, but even so you can develop breathing difficulties very quickly. I would have someone come and stay with you if possible, just in case. Yes it can all sound very scary – i am glad i was admitted to hospital straight away and was out of it otherwise i would have been on the internet reading everything i could lol. But it is important to bear in mind it is an illness with a very good prognosis. Good luck when you go back to the dr and i hope they start treatment for you.

      PS I also have young children – to be honest i just had to trust that they would be looked after (although no one can look after them as well as their mum) as getting better became my sole focus. Give yourself permission to be totally selfish for once and do everything you can to get better

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 9:41 am

      This is just my pers opinion, but I think it is too early to say it is just a mild case. It took my GBS over a week to get to its worst, by then, I was already in the hospital for 5 days. If you notice yourself feeling worse, dont wait for monday.

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 10:13 am

      Thank you very much for your replies. This morning I feel some tingling higher in my thigh, however, I really don’t feel like my strength is any less in my legs. I will take this seriously and if I start to feel “weak” I will go to the hospital. Your responses have helped calm my nerves. Thank you.

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 10:19 am

      I agree ….. Your doctor certainly cannot say that you have a MILD case, it is FAR to early to tell. The progression and onset of symptoms can take 1 to 4 weeks. During this time, you should have treatment AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This is so very important, and doctors are often hesitant to see, and only if you become paralyzed will some do anything about it. IVig or Plasmapharesis is done during this 4 week period for one simple reason, to try and STOP ANY FURTHER damage being done, not to wait as see how much damage can be done 🙁 . Regardless if you have a mild case or a severe case (and I hate categorizing it like that sometimes), it can be devestating and cannot be blown off as lightly as I believe your doctor did.

      I am in the same situation as you, I have kids and my husband travels a great deal. I would call a friend and explain to her the seriousness of the situation, and, should your breathing start to be affected, however slightly that may be, you need someone over there immediately to get you to hospital and take the kids. I would also suggest you find some more info on this site, and possibly others, and print them out and take them with you if you do have to go to hospital. It is so important that the medical staff know what is happening and KNOW what needs to be done. It is not my intention to scare you, please understand that, I just want you to be prepared. Medical staff need to know what can be done treatment wise so that you are able to make a better recovery in the long run.

      Please keep us updated …

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 10:22 am

      I have just sent you a private message (pm), please can you check your inbox. 🙂

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 10:34 am

      hi rtche & welcome,

      your doc is giving you some bs. the shot did not make the gbs flare up. it caused it to happen. as soon as gbs is Dxed, ivig is supposed to be given within 24 hours. while he makes you wait, your nerves are being destroyed. it can make recovery longer & less complete. you are well advanced for the time involved. raise hell & get the ivig. take care. be well.

      gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 10:59 am

      I totally agree with Ali and Gene’s take on this. Get treated now! The treatment does NO GOOD after the damage is done. You will have to be your own advocate, since it’s your health at risk.

      You have a medical emergency – handle the situation with your children the same way you would if you had any other kind of emergency health crisis.

      Best wishes and please keep us posted.


    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 3:22 pm

      Okay.. I am going to be very brave and go to the ER. I feel a little premature because I really do not have much weakness in my muscles, I just have tingling up to the small in my back. The tingling is moving up but my muscles just feel tired. I can still jump on one leg and walk just fine. However, after reading this, I will feel better if I go in and get evaluated. Thank you!

    • Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 3:57 pm

      I went to the ER when I was about 3.5 weeks into my symptoms. I was told that it was a waste of my time and the time of the ER doctor and given two shots and sent home.

      By time I saw my PCP the next day I was having trouble breathing and was admitted to the ICU. Had I listened to the doctor and just not gone to the doctors the next day I could have died at home that night (by that point I was unable to walk…). Scary.

      If you feel something is wrong please tell your doctor and make sure they do all necessary tests. I think the fact I am young really makes it seem that I didn’t know what I was talking about or exagerating my symptoms. Keep on them.

      I am a single parent so I understand how scary it can feel to not have care of your kids. I couldn’t see my son for almost a week while I was in the hospital and it hurt me way more then the actual GBS. But getting diagnosed no matter what it is early will help you be able to be there more for your kids.

    • Anonymous
      November 19, 2006 at 9:08 pm

      my mom was misdiagnosed 2 times and sent home b4 she was properly diagnosed and the doc had to look it up in a medical dictionary…the 2nd missed diagnosis…she was at the ER and they treated her for asthma and sent her home…told her she was having an anxiety attack…by the next day she was nearly totally paralysed..my aunt would set her up and my mom would fall over…she was in NICU for 4 weeks and was making progress when an infection shut her down…she died…so DON’T DELAY!!…kat

    • Anonymous
      November 20, 2006 at 9:00 am

      Just to let you all know. I did go to the ER and the doctor came in and checked my reflexes. They were fine so he sent me home. It’s Monday and I feel pretty good. Perhaps, I pulled a lucky card. The tingling moved from my foot up through my side to my arm and down into my hand. I still have the tingling and my muscles are a bit weak, however, I can still walk fine and the tingling is much less now in my foot. I’ll write again if I get any worse. Thank you so much for the support you have all given me. Thank you!

    • Anonymous
      November 20, 2006 at 2:45 pm

      The ER doctor said my reflexes are fine, so they aren’t worried. The tingling has moved from my feet to my arms and into my fingers. However, I have not had the numbness that usually follows the tingly feeling and I have my reflexes. So…I think I have just been incredibly lucky. Thank you for all the replies and support. May God bless you all.

    • Anonymous
      November 20, 2006 at 7:38 pm

      Dear Kathleen

      I was saddened to read your post. God love you, what a terrible thing to happen.

      I sincerely hope that Rtche2 takes your post to heart.

      It took one week for me to go from pins and needles in my fingers to collapsing (sinking is a better word) on the floor. A woman I know went from ‘fine’ to the floor in a matter of hours.

      Rtche2 – you are not going to like me for this. You said “I’ll write again if I get any worse”. If you do get worse, my hope is that you are ABLE to write again.

      Am I using scare tactics?


      Rtche2 – you’re a woman (well, I think you are! It’s too late and I have drunk too much to check). We all, especially women, play down what is happening. This is not a good idea with GBS. I truly hope that you have pulled the lucky card.

      As I recall, reflex tests don’t always tell the situation, anymore than lumbar punctures do.

      My advice? Treat yourself like you would your dearest most precious friend. Truly.

      God bless