Flu shot?

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I am wondering if anyone takes a flu shot? I was told last year [B]NOT[/B] to. This may have been asked before, but I couldn’t find it. I am really afraid to get one, as I would hate to relapse. On the other hand, I remember my GBS started after a nasty bought with a chest cold. So far I am toughing it out, but have real concerns, as I work around a lot of people in my job. 😮

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Hi Hawkeye, 🙂

No, I don’t take the flu shot. Although I had GBS many years ago and may be a bit overly cautious, I don’t want to take the risk.

If you use the search function and type in vaccine, you should be able to pull up other threads regarding the flu shot and other vaccines.

Take care and stay healthy!!

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Iowahawkeye502,
      I was told never to get a flu shot again by my Doctors after getting GBS.
      This is an issue that has been discussed several times on the forum.
      Some will absolutely not get the shot and yet others have taken it with no problems. Some have gotten GBS after taking the flu shot.
      This is a decision we must each make for ourselves.
      Take care
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2009 at 2:02 am

I weighed the odds and take the flu shot. I had not take the vaccine before developing GBS in 2007 but did take it a couple of months afterward during an extended stay in the hospital. I also took the vaccine this fall, again with no problem. I did discuss the decision with a physician and we concluded that at my age ( mid 70s ) it would not be a good idea for me to contact the flu. That was the basis of my decision. I note that most people, and apparntly many physicians, tend to recommend against the vaccine. It is certainly something to make you think twice about it.

I probably feel different than many others since I could never identify anything that might have touched off my GBS. The only exposure or symptoms of a virus I could identify was a very slight chest cold a few weeks before the onset–absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

You can do a search for “Flu Vaccine for CDIP Patients” on this site and find additional discussion on the subject.

What mystifies me most about GBS is the fact that I spent a lengthy and varied life and never even heard of the condition until I developed it.

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2009 at 8:25 am

Good morning,
      I got the flu from a flu shot and have been told many times to NEVER take the shot or any shots where eggs are used to develop the shot. People do not realize that this years flu shot is for last years flu. So if a new flu comes along you may get it.and it has been proven it DOESN’T EASE THE FLU IF YOU GET IT.
      Also through testing they found many bottles that had no protection.I will let my God be my guide and I never want to go through what I did with GBS.Some states will not give a flu shot to someone with or recovering from GBS.A Neuroligist told me she would much rather treat me for flu than GBS< (Steve)

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2009 at 12:38 pm

NO! The fine print of possible side effects on any flu shot includes GBS. Also, I have been told not to get a tetanus shot unless I have been injured and tetanus is a possibility. The new meningitis vaccine actually says that persons who have had GBS should not take it, and list GBS as a side effect. I did not get GBS from a vaccination but have come across many people who have.

• Anonymous
      January 22, 2009 at 5:59 pm

I got GBS about 5 months after I took the flu shot so I’m not sure it was the cause (but who knows?!). I had taken one for years without ill effects. Last year my doctor contacted my neurologist asking the question whether I should have one. He said, “No” but that was common advice after someone has GBS within the past year. My GBS started about 2 weeks after I got a chest cold. I took Zycam and got a severe case of the hives, then GBS. Now I stay away from Zycam too.

It seems that most of you suggest against it. I’m 58 years old and I will avoid it. Unfortunately, my job makes me come into contact with many people so I’m really scared that I will get it (the flu).I can’t avoid the contact in my circumstances.

For everyone, I am STILL having issues from GBS. Neuropathy is one of the problems along with general soreness. I take Lyrica, and it helps, but doesn’t stop it. After GBS, I was also diagnoses with Type 2 Diabetes so I have the “double whammy” when it comes to neuropathy. I control; my diet pretty well with medication too. Additionally, I have gotten the shingles last summer and wonder if there is a correlation.

Again, thanks everyone for the reply! It is great to be alive!

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Hi,
      No Flu Shot. I feel like having a tatoo on my arm, my Dr. asks me every fall about getting a flu shot and then she will remember. The shot only protects you from on strain of the flu anyway so why take a chance. The same with the pnemonia vaccine. I refuse that also. Be sure to reseach the adverse side effects on any vaccines your Dr. suggests, you are in control of the care you receive. I have learned the hard way to take control and ask questions and do research before consenting to any new medication or treatment.
      Take care.
      Bonnie:cool:

Flu Shot

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 9:03 am

Hey

I just want some peoples opnions.

I personally didn’t get my GBS from the flu shot but I know a lot of people did.

I don’t think I will get this shot ever again though.

Do all or most of you feel this way? What about for your families? I have a young son (11 months) who they would normally recomend he get this shot but it definitely scares me.

Any advice or thoughts. Am I just silly and of course we shouldn’t get it or give it to our families?

Thanks

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 9:36 am

Sharon,

I copied a few threads for you to copy and paste into your browser. Also if you do a search on flu shot, you will get tons of threads on the subject which may be helpful to you.

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1317&page=2&highlight=shot

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1346&highlight=shot

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1449&highlight=shot

gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2188&highlight=shot

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 11:01 am

Any vaccine can cause ALOT of problems to the body. Making people and especially kids get vaccines I think and this is my opion it should be suggested but not mandatory. After reading all the reactions to them I question them. (this is my thoughts and I am not a doctor)

• October 17, 2007 at 12:59 pm

I did not get GBS from a flu shot, mine was a bit odd and I havent heard of anyone else being exposed the way I was….a cut on my foot at a beach known for high contaminant levels (didnt know this till after I was recovering and I started doing research).

I never had a flu shot and never will. I will not allow my kids to get one either. In fact vaccines scare me so much now that I will fight tooth and nail to avoid any future immunizations…even that assinine gardisil for girls.
      I have explained my stand and why to my older two boys, and also explained to them the possible problems of people not vaccinating their kids. I feel they need information from both sides to make educated/informed future decisions for their own kids and family.

Sorry if I sound or come across a bit harsh or anything like that. Having gone thru GBS and read about other problems associated with vaccines, I have gotten a bit angry about hte whole thing 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 2:17 pm

I did not contract GBS from the flu shot either. Every year I ask my doctor whether or not I should get the flu shot. My general feeling is that doctors just do not know. A nurse friend of mine recently attended a conference on immunology. She thinks I should get it since it is a dead vaccine and the benefits outweigh the risks. I will ask my doctor again.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2007 at 9:42 pm

Sharon.
      My GBS was from a flu shot in 06. I was told by 2 Neuroligist to NEVER take a flu shot or imune shot every again. Tell every one you can about this. GBS is listed as a possiable Viral infection. Also the flu shot for this yr is for last yrs flu. My Doctors said they would rather fight the flu with me than GBS again (Steve)

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2007 at 9:06 am

Thanks for everyones replies! I definitely have some more thinking to do but I really don’t think my family will be getting unnecessary shots.

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Sharon,

I am post GBS may 2005 and am also to scared to get the flu shot. My Dr. understands the fear and doesn’t pressure me to get it. She has informed me if I come down with the slightest symtom of the flu to call her and she will prescibe Tamiflu.

While I was in the hospital almost all of the nurses and staff told me they don’t get the flu shot for fear of getting GBS.

I came down with my first symtom the day I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Needless to say I will probably never have either procedure again due to the fear factor of getting it again.

Hope this helped.

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2007 at 3:09 pm

I’ve never had a flu shot. But one of my doctors said it’s a bad idea to get a future flu shot if you’ve had GBS

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2007 at 9:03 pm

I had GBS when I was in college in 1971 (full Blown) and I used to tell people that I had it before it was vogue, when a number of people developed it from the Swine Flu shot of 1976.

Last year my company offered the flu shot (I had one the previous 5 years) and I noticed that the second question on the form was whether you ever had GBS. Right there I decided to pass on getting the shot. I had to explain to all what GBS was about.

Ironically, I came down with my second bout of GBS 3 weeks later (worse than when I had it the first time). I was in the hospital from 10/26/06 to 1/12/07. When I saw the company nurse this year, he admitted that he was GLAD I did NOT take the shot last year.

The questionaire for this year’s flu shot again references GBS, so I will NOT be getting one!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2007 at 9:20 am

no flu shot for me never have taken and since gbs never will.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2007 at 11:33 am

I believe that we all have to make choices based on information gathered by reputable sources. That said, I ain’t gettin’near a flu shot needle!!!!!!!1:eek:

• November 3, 2007 at 2:58 pm

I received my first and last flu shot back in Dec. ’96 they never officially stated I got GBS from it but was told never to get it again or any other immunizations. I believe me I never well.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2007 at 9:48 pm

I am post GBS, from March 05. I didn’t get it from a flu shot, I had a sore throat just before I got it. However, I haven’t gotten a flu shot since, and I don’t intend to. Thanks.

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Hi Robin,
      My name is Dave and I had gbs a year ago and had an endoscopy a month before my onset. I wonder if there is a correlation in some way?

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2007 at 11:33 am

Hi,

Since I got my GBS from a tetanus shot, I avoid needles as much as possible. No flu shots for me. I’ve heard of two cases so far this year of reactions, so there are probably a lot more. They may find us eventually.