Flu Mist…

• September 24, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Havnt been here in a long time…

I work in a clinic, I am an LPN and had GBS. I am frowned upon because I am boycotting administering the flu mist in my clinic. My RN director says “you can give it even if you had GBS. As far as I am concerned I want nothing to do with it. Easy for her to say! She didn’t have GBS.

Just want to know what you all know about the Flu Mist since it is a live virus. Not at all happy with this type of med. I don’t care that it is going into another persons nostrils, what if they sneeze after and I am in in the room. Can’t tell me I would not be exposed to a point.

All reply’s welcome.

Schel

• Anonymous
      September 28, 2008 at 7:57 pm

Schel,

I totally agree with you and with the Flu Mist being made with the live virus, more people will develope GBS/CIDP.

• October 20, 2008 at 10:08 am

Thanks Brandy,
      I totally agree with you, it will be interesting to see what happens. I am a nurse at a clinic and it’s always hard for me to bite my tongue when others ask about the flu shot, I really have nothing good to say about it. Others seem not to understand. Not that they would since they did not go through what I did.
      Schel

• October 20, 2008 at 10:24 am

Hi Schel,
      I personally would probably not say anything to other people regarding giving them advice. If pamphlets are available, which I think they should be, I might bring them home, highlight things and give them to people before administering the shot to people. This way, your employer could NOT say you were giving your opinion, in fact, you would be DOING your job by giving them the facts and allowing them to make an educated decision. You are informing them with info that you are by law supposed to provide. This way you can protect your job and at the same time alert them on the side affects that are possible including cidp & gbs.
      Regarding someone sneezing when you give the mist. Me personally, I would probably wear a respirator mask. When you draw blood, it is protocol to use gloves to protect yourself from aids. Why should inhaling someone elses germs be any different, not to mention inhaling some particles of the flu mist. If you think about it, it must be pretty likeley that people sneeze after having the flu mist shoved up their nose. So just from that standpoint, someone administering it has the chance to inhale many times.
      If your office is insisting you administer the mist, then insist on the mask and protect yourself.
      PLEASE remember, I am probably not the best person to respond to this as I have issues, if you will, regarding spreading others germs. I do not even like using public restrooms, so I may be overboard, or over kill!!! Hey at least I know I have issues!!! Good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2008 at 3:23 am

Wow, that’s a tough one. I, personally, wouldn’t go near the flu mist. The word “mist” says it all. And, if you have to give a shot you risk that you might get poked. You do have the right to opt out with something that could be that dangerous to you.

I’m like Dawn with a lot of issues. I have a difficult time not showing up at “flu shot roundups” and handing out papers with GBS in huge red letters 😮

I wish you “well” with your choices.