Fatigue for GBS CIDP & Others

• jk
      August 10, 2017 at 5:23 pm

I was searching for data on atrophy when I found an article on fatigue. One section, in particular, got my attention: “Fatigue has been an under-recognized aspect of neuromuscular disorders over a long period of time. As we have mentioned before, fatigue on one hand is caused by a local effect on muscle function (peripheral fatigue), and on the other hand fatigue originates at the level of the CNS because of feedback about the pathological state of the PNS. This fatigue protects the muscles from further damage by down-regulating physical activities.”

Look carefully at the last sentence. What it seems to be saying is your own Central Nervous System (CNS) recognizes something is wrong and ‘down-regulates.’ Meaning what? Your body gives you fatigue to slow your activity presumably as a self-protective action.

“We” have often said on this board- ‘Do not overdue it, it’s as bad, or worse, than doing nothing.’ This may help explain why.

Read all about it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824125/

• B
      August 10, 2017 at 10:25 pm

Interesting! Saving to read more in depth later (when I’m not so tired, LOL).

• August 12, 2017 at 2:58 am

Thanks you for this precious information

• August 13, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Awesome! I’m a spaz for knowledge.

• August 14, 2017 at 1:38 pm

GREAT NEWS!

• September 25, 2017 at 11:47 pm

it is also possible for sleep apnea to make the fatigue much worse. There are several types of apnea and some can be brought on by our nerve damage. Just something to consider. Take care

• September 26, 2017 at 7:32 am

😉

• February 11, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Thanks! This explains a lot. Saving the article to read latter. From the sounds of it, I may be doomed to a life of fatigue. I’ve have sleep apnea for 21 years (treated with CPAP sort of) and now diagnosed with CIDP 2 months ago. Still awaiting IGIV treatment. Still working too, but that will be coming to an end soon.

Buzz

• February 13, 2018 at 10:36 am

Thanks for the info, it makes sense! Before GBS, I used to have a few issues sleeping every now and then, but ever since, I wake up in the middle of the night almost every single night. I am also almost always tired, even after just a normal day at a desk job. The tough part is people think I’m just lazy and don’t understand.

Tagged: