Eyesight problems-wait for glasses?

• January 26, 2011 at 9:04 am

Hello friends

I’m going for an eye exam today and assuredly I will score less than my pre-GBS ability. I am particularly weak when reading small print.

My question is if I am still only 7 months into recovery should I wait to try using eyeglasses? Either way I don’t care, but there are a stack of books I want to hit but reading print is still difficult.

Interestingly, I can read off of a monitor much easier, although I have control of font sizes there.

Fight or sight? I look forward to your comments.

Have a sweet day

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2011 at 9:48 am

after your exam if you just need glasses for reading, you can just buy a pair of reading glasses usually about $5 to $10 at any major chain or drug store.

I have a problem still with reading especially after I’m tired. I can read Ok but have a problem with finding the next line. I’ve moved to book on tape from our library. we can get them right from the library web page.

Hope you are still improving every day in every way.

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Don’t fight it Northernguitarguy–it is age catching up . I agree with Harry and just get some dime store readers for now. You can tell what era I’m from with me saying dime store.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm

While working full-time? I could read five books/novels a week! Since my ‘onset’, I’ve only been able to read very short magazine articles and take them in [with lots of effort] for about 1/2 of what I can read at first on a ‘puter screen. Something in my ‘brain’, when I plain old read paper print? Does not connect anymore! It is one of my permanent losses that I realize I cannot regain. That there are computers and screens which I CAN take in information? Is something I am truly grateful for. But….if you ask any neuro about this? They will think you are nutso! One of those ‘anecdotals’? Tastes, sights, smells, and temperature things’ that seem to randomly ‘occur’ for no reason other than it’s IN YOUR MIND! NOT! There is no good ‘repository’ to collect such information as docs don’t report these things, and therefore while they mite be common? They likely are not, but maybe key to aspects for future diagnostics.
      About books tho? There are ‘on-line’ books and audio books as well, they mite help you get thru it all.
      As far as [B]SEEING?[B][/B][/B] Do your absolute best to improve your vision for daily and better uses! Document your changes! I’d had wildly varied changes prior to my onset…IF anyone could have used this info to connect dots? I’d have given it to them! But NOT ONE DOC ASKED! At least? You have RECORDS to prove that some additional aspects of your life had changed in addition to your nerves going off course!
      Hugs and hope! Don’t give up ever!

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I am 2 years 3 months out from my onset. I too have noticed the decline of my eyesight. Fine print is fuzzy, I take my glasses off for the small print. On Monday Jan 31. 2011 I will be going to the University of Minnesota to their Eye Clinic. The U of M is where I had the TT. I also have problems with the left side of my mouth being dry. This is the side they removed two lympnodes. So I have dental problems too.
      I like the idea of keeping track of what you notice is different good or bad of your eye sight.
      I am looking forward to seeing how my “before and after” scores are… smile and laugh — what else can we do!!!

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2011 at 12:06 am

I also have problems with reading small print, I did not have this problem before onset of gbs. I have purchased two pairs of reading glasses for $ 1.00 each. one stays in my purse and the other I keep losing and finding. I do intend to have an eye exam sooner than later. I always had good eyesight before gbs.
      take good care always.

• January 27, 2011 at 8:59 am

[QUOTE=laurel]Don’t fight it Northernguitarguy–it is age catching up . I agree with Harry and just get some dime store readers for now. You can tell what era I’m from with me saying dime store.
      Laurel[/QUOTE]
      Gee thanks Laurel, the optometrist said the same thing. Turns out I only need them for reading, which makes sense. He also believes that there is no nerve damage based on some test he did.

All in all, not bad…my new specs will be covered by my insurance..thanks for your comments…I hope everybody is feeling as good as possible today

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

Glad to hear that your eye are not damaged. As to feeling as good as possible today. I am!

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Visual disturbances are very common among everybody with GBS/CIDP, or MS. From a little blurry to very blurry, double, triple, quadruple vision. Ocean wave like vision, seeing all kinds of spots. Stars, big bright beautiful spots even episodes of blindness. Glad your glasses help.
      smitty

• February 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm

have to put in my say….I had changes since gbs with my own vision. Blurry for a time, not so blurry, night vision has decreased. I find myself blinking to clear my vision a lot of times but it doesn’t always help. Dr said it could very well be nerve damage but have to see a dr with the proper machine to verify it. I can usually read my screen but even that seems blurry or seems to tilt or be almost doubled after a bit. This happens frequently and i never know when it will hit.

Bifocals are my new friend. Although reading the same page over and over without realizing it makes reading not so fun anymore. I miss plowing through book after book!

Hope it turns out okay for you, but yea get it checked out, give glasses a try, and I hope you can enjoy reading again. You may experience a “change” and have to get your Rx checked a couple of times maybe more because it may seem that your vision is still ‘off’. Or you may be just fine. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

For me? it was that my vision went waay off normal changes about 3-4 months before my onset! And, then? Four months after onset? It was ‘almost’ back to where it was ‘before’ this all started!
      It got soo strange it almost felt as if I was having CATARACTS all over again! I’d had surgery for [I]that[I][/I][/I] five years prior to my onset. My Optomitrist and Opthamologist both thought what was happening to me was ‘strange’ but, thot no further about it until waay later?
      Well, we aren’t perfect machines. Worst fear is losing another of one’s senses! So…be super diligent with regular exams, and appointments when something goes ‘strange’…best to have it on record. If you don’t check it out? It can come back and bite you later on… Best to ‘get it off the list!’

• Anonymous
      February 10, 2011 at 10:14 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]grab some magnifiers until a bit of time passes– my eyes were as you describe yours, then they got better ;-)[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2011 at 1:35 am

I never suffered any problems with visions during/after my GBS.
      Granted, my GBS never reached anywhere near my face, so I was lucky there.

About 5 years after my recovery from GBS, I got Lasik Surgery, and had no complications.
      (Best money I ever spent, BTW)

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2011 at 9:36 am

I agree with the majority – wait a bit. You have not even come close to the 2 year or five year recovery time. I do understand the hunger to read. I think it would be a neat post to list our favorite books. You are always good at starting interesting posts.
      I take Bilberry extract for my eyes although they were not affected with the GBS. But they were affected 6 months prior when my vsion got blurry in my left eye and I felt spacey. Turned out to be the SOY cheese I was eating. Stopped that and my vision returned to normal in a few days.
      I had trouble reading more than a paragraph – my brain wouldn’t focus. Turned out I had taken fish oil and it had built up in my system since it was fat soluable. My system was highly allergic and it took a few weeks until it left my system. Many of these problems we create ourselves and do not realize it. BAck to the Bilberry – the studies show that 75% of people who took it saw an improvement with their vision. I am taking it as preventative.
      If you have recently turned 40, it is your biological clock doing it. Don’t know how the body knows, but it does. I just take off my glasses and can read fine. Same reason why I only wear one contact – one eye sees close up and the one with the contact sees far away.

• March 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

thanks for the replies everybody….I ended up with a cool pair of specs that are fine for reading, tv and computer-when I remember to wear them….they do help a lot and as a result I have been reading more:)

luv ya my gbs clan!