Experiences with Case Nurses and STD?

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 3:41 pm

[QUOTE=snevets82][B][COLOR=”SeaGreen”]I am being facetious of course, but I have had a lot of little side problems of a physical nature since coming down with GBS last November.

All of the following my Doctor indicates are as a result of the effects to my immune system, beginning with mildly high blood pressure discovered while in the hospital.

First I started out with small eczema patches on my body. Then I had a problem with acid reflux. Yesterday my Neurologist diagnosed me with having carpal tunnel syndrome.

I have never had any of these problems before and am wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
      [/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

[I][COLOR=”Purple”]I wrote the above post last week. I got a phone call yesterday from the “Case Nurse” for the Company handling my Short Term Disability Benefits provided through my employer I have been out on disability since December 13, 2006.

She had received all of my Neurologist’s case notes and test findings and said that ” I had rejected surgery for the carpal tunnel” and that she was expediting my meeting with their Neurologist. If their Neurologist found that according to their examination that I would “benefit” from carpal tunnel surgery and I still refused surgery, that I would lose all my benefits.

She also went on to say that in “her opinion” that I should not be operating an automobile being on 2400 MG of Neurontin a day and also that my hands were very numb and tingly.

I countered to her that I had only been just diagnosed last Monday and that my Neurologist had given me a prescription for wrist braces as we both had agreed that it would be better initially to take a less invasive route.

I also said that at no time did my Neurologist or my Primary Care Doctor said I should not be driving and that I would trust my Doctor’s advice over a “Nurse” who had never seen me.

She wondered why I was not getting extensive PT for my hands. I replied that any great physical usage to the nerves would most likely exacerbate the situation.

MY QUESTION IS, WHAT, IF ANY, ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES DEALING WITH “CASE NURSES” AS I DO NOT WANT TO CREATE A PROBLEM WITH RECEIVING FUTURE BENEFITS?

Any thoughts would be helpful and thanks.[/COLOR][/I]

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 5:49 pm

Im afraid that I dont have any experiences with CASE NURSES. I just needed to tell you that I had to scoff at the sentance [COLOR=#800080][I][quote][COLOR=#800080]She also went on to say that in “her opinion” that I should not be operating an automobile being on 2400 MG of Neurontin a day [/COLOR][/quote] [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=black], because honestly!!!! Do I need to say more???:rolleyes: [/COLOR]
      What was her demeanor like as you were saying your goodbyes? Does she have the right to tell you “in her opinion” that you should not be driving? Eeek:eek: I dont know why I’m getting so hot under the collar.
      I hope someone can give you some advice.

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 7:59 pm

Hi

Being me, I would want the Case Nurse to put in writing that I should not be operating an automobile, being on 2400 MG of Neurontin a day, and of course I would want chapter and verse as to why not. I would point out that I would expect to receive information that specifically states that takng 2,400 mg of Neurontin constitues a danger as regards driving. In other words, I would require that her opinion be put in writing with the medical knowledge and information to back up that opininon.

But may be that is just me.

God bless

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 11:47 pm

I believe that my husband had to deal with a case nurse the 3 months while I was down at Mayo in the hospital. I think that they are hired by the insurance companies to make sure that all of the medical procedures being done are valid for the disease. Because I was in such bad shape, nothing was ever questioned in my case. But I would certainly not let a case nurse dictate that I need a surgery that I may not need at all (carpal tunnel.) Also, her statement about neurontin & driving is ludicrous, just consider the source.

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Hi Snevets,

Physical therapy should not hurt you and believe me you do need it. Actually it’s occupational therapy for the hands and the reason for it is so you don’t have atrophy in your hands. Most of the people here have had it.

Many also have carpel tunnel syndrome too and still work their hands as not to atrophy the muscles. Mild movements not hard movements would be of benefit.

The case nurse doesn’t seem to know that millions of people take Neurontin and can still drive. She sounds like a “know it all ” to me.:rolleyes:

Take Care

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2007 at 2:17 pm

82, i wouldn’t take her advice for anything! alot of gbs/cidp people are dx with carrpel when its not, go with the braces and mild o.t. and then recheck after a couple months. driving on neurontin, give me a break, i have driven on class 2 narcotics(the kind that is supposed to be high powered) and no problems. unless your dr has put it in writing in your record and reported it to the bureau of motor vehicles-you don’t want that!, then go about your business as usual!. the ins companies hire the know it alls to help them, not to help you. enjoy your freedom and don’t stress about a case nurse-fancy name for peeon!:D

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2007 at 2:38 pm

I have been driving for 3+years on Neurontin and now Lyrica. In the beginning as you get used to taking it I would be very careful. However once I was used to taking it I have had no problems at all.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2007 at 5:01 pm

[B][I][COLOR=”SeaGreen”]Thanks so much for all of your thoughts and ideas. Shortly after I made my post my Neurologist called me. I gave him a complete lay out of what this Benefits Case Nurse was telling me.

His first response was to say the Case Nurse was lying about the “refused surgery” for the carpal tunnel syndrome comment. He insisted on calling her directly to get her more up to date on my condition. I did request that he be attracting bees with honey and not vinegar as my continuing paycheck sort of rested on my relationship with this person.

I may look into my “rights” to request a change of Case Nurses. It also may be a little late to request her “opinion” in writing after my Doctor spoke with her.

Brandy, I’m going to look into specialized therapy for my hands as I am a part-time professional guitarist who has already lost quite a bit of side income due to the GBS having affected my hands so greatly. I do stretching exercises as well as squeeze a soft ball daily. I’ve tried playing my guitar, but the hardest part is holding on to the guitar pick as I am having trouble feeling it in my fingers.

You have no idea how happy I am that I found this place. Bless you all.[/COLOR][/I][/B]

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 5:16 am

Woops, please be careful with letter abbreviations in mediicine. To medical eyes STD stands for a very common disorder- sexually transmitted disease. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 9:51 am

Yeah I thought the same thing at first glance too Doc David.