Dyna Splints: Anyone used these?

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I’m new to the forum and am asking questions on behalf of my son. He came down with full blown GBS in April 2008 and had numerous problems during his 13 month hospitalizations. We returned home to Louisiana from Texas to continue rehab on an out patient basis and things have not really gone well. His hands have clubbed pretty much and his therapists recommended using the Dyna Splints. Insurance denied on the basis that they are “Experimental.”
      Has anyone had experience with these? Any recommendations? We appreciate being able to talk to people who have already gone through these problems.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm

i had to where splints on lmy hands to keep my fingers and hands open. I dont know wh at they were called. I was on medicaid during that time now i am on medicare so i dont know what would be covered now. We donated them to the nursing home where i lived so they could use them on somebody who didnt have insurance.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2010 at 9:20 pm

[QUOTE=londorv]I’m new to the forum and am asking questions on behalf of my son. He came down with full blown GBS in April 2008 and had numerous problems during his 13 month hospitalizations. We returned home to Louisiana from Texas to continue rehab on an out patient basis and things have not really gone well. His hands have clubbed pretty much and his therapists recommended using the Dyna Splints. Insurance denied on the basis that they are “Experimental.”
      Has anyone had experience with these? Any recommendations? We appreciate being able to talk to people who have already gone through these problems.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they helped a lot. There were some things that I just paid for out of pocket fortunately insurance did pay for the splints. My daughter was 32 when diagnosed with very advanced CIDP, so advanced she could not sit up, feed herself, or for a while, breathe. That was in June 2008 she was in hospital 2 months, then back again with pneumonia a month later. The splints helped to keep her hands in the right position, although she did not always like having them on. Recovery has been slow and lately very little change for the better. She was just so far gone when someone FINALLY BELIEVED US!