Drop Foot Recovery

• August 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

Has anyone had drop foot? Has anyone had recovery from it (return to normal)? One foot or two? How long from start to finish? Or is drop foot permanent?

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Hi Hedley,

I have foot drop and I’m almost 20 years post GBS. I’ve read where some have had surgery to try and correct the drop; however, it was usually when foot drop was caused by tight tendons, not nerve damage.

Hope this helps!

Take care

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Hello and yes i have severe dropfoot.I also wear braces on both legs for the drop foot.I have talked to a doctor about surgery to help the drop foot but i felt the braces were better for me.Also another thought is the walkaide system and the testing is very easy and they did not charge.Good luck

• August 2, 2011 at 6:03 am

I bought a set of soft braces from TheBraceShop.com. They are called the Ossur Foot Up brace. I just started using them in therapy. They hold the foot up. One piece goes around the ankle above the bones over your sock. The other goes around the arch which has a strap that you pull up to snap into the ankle part. There is another way to use them with laced shoes which comes with the purchase. Worth a look anyway. They were $278.00 and insurance does not cover them as medical device under Medicare. They have a return policy but they deduct 15 % for stocking fee.
      P.S. Thanks for the feedback on drop foot. I’ll ask my doctor if he has heard of recovery from drop foot. We are in a vey special club that nobody can really understand except us. God bless.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I have severe drop-foot, but I am also paraplegic so I can’t walk or hold my foot in a right angle position anyways, but it is still a concern for me because i still would like to walk again one day. I use AFO’s (ankle-foot orthosis) when i sleep to keep my feet as close to a right angle position as possible. And i use oakley Tactical boots during the day because they has a high rise from the ankle to your leg and you can tie them up tight to add extra support and keep the foot in a more natural position. These 2 idea’s are working alright for me but im sure there are better ways to help.

AFO’s (ankle-foot orthosis) – [url]http://www.metromedicalonline.com/58600.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=pricegrabber[/url]

Oakley Tactical Boots – [url]http://ca.oakley.com/products/s-i-assault-boot-8-inch/11098-001[/url]

Hope this helps!=)

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Has anyone checked into the nerve transfer surgery?I am not looking for anything to do with surgery but was told it is very new.When i was in hospital sorry to say i could not feel feet.And wife always had boots on to keep ankles straight.They were more concerned to keep me stable as i was a lot to handle.We are always looking for new ideas.We except where i am today.Thank you all for ideas.Many blessings to all Gbs family.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2011 at 8:50 pm

[QUOTE=magee]Has anyone checked into the nerve transfer surgery?I am not looking for anything to do with surgery but was told it is very new.When i was in hospital sorry to say i could not feel feet.And wife always had boots on to keep ankles straight.They were more concerned to keep me stable as i was a lot to handle.We are always looking for new ideas.We except where i am today.Thank you all for ideas.Many blessings to all Gbs family.[/QUOTE]
      ..hey all..haven’t been on here for a while..to damn depressing..lol..anyhoo, I’m 7 years in..in the first year I remember two docs from Johns Hopkins in Baltimore that would supposedly do the nerve transfer surgery..I never folowed it up..I’ll see if I can find the info..I printed it out and saved it somewhere..I guess I just got used to walking around like the Aflac duck..

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm

[QUOTE=gyro]..hey all..haven’t been on here for a while..to damn depressing..lol..anyhoo, I’m 7 years in..in the first year I remember two docs from Johns Hopkins in Baltimore that would supposedly do the nerve transfer surgery..I never folowed it up..I’ll see if I can find the info..I printed it out and saved it somewhere..I guess I just got used to walking around like the Aflac duck..[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Gyro that would be great.I look into all options.I am not wanting any extra surgery.I have 3 more years till i reach 7 years.I except where i am in comparision to where i could be. Blessings to all

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2011 at 10:59 am

What was the therapy for improving the diversification?

Thanks,

ubbietom